+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootch View Post
    As a human being you have a duty of care to report the above! I hope you did instead of just walk away and allow it to continue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Actually I was already mandated as I worked in mental health prior to this so yes I did report it. I reported it to the director, my lecturer and to Families SA.

Baby wearing, co-sleeping, booby feeding mummy to one

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Etienne For This Useful Post:

share a book  (18-02-2012),smootch  (18-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What I mean is confront the owner or whoever is allowing this to occur. I know there is a risk of loosing your job but I couldn't work there as it is totally against my own philosophy and belief and against the law (keeping children from hazard and harm!) I'm still just totally shocked there are multiple staff allowing this to happen! People allowing this to happen and continue are as bad as the person who made up this inhuman routine/procedure. And where are the parents of the children on this? They must have some idea?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to smootch For This Useful Post:

kriista  (18-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess it frustrates me to read replies to threads like this about how ppl are glad they don't use cc ect. Some ppl have no choice and it is also insulting to ppl like me who have been advocating the positives of early childhood services. I would not hesitate to report anything I see and would never work anywhere I would not be happy to send my own child or a family member!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smootch For This Useful Post:

kriista  (18-02-2012),meyly  (20-02-2012),PurpleButterfly4  (19-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootch View Post
    What I mean is confront the owner or whoever is allowing this to occur. I know there is a risk of loosing your job but I couldn't work there as it is totally against my own philosophy and belief and against the law (keeping children from hazard and harm!) I'm still just totally shocked there are multiple staff allowing this to happen! People allowing this to happen and continue are as bad as the person who made up this inhuman routine/procedure. And where are the parents of the children on this? They must have some idea?

No, the parents would not have an idea. My friend had 2 bubs through that room and had no idea.

I already said she has documented everything and put in a formal complaint in writing to the authorities, going above the Director.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Most services are not like this at all, most are staffed by dedicated people who want the best for the children who attend, unfortunately you do get people with outdated beliefs and centres that are overworked.
    Centres I've had experience with have patted babies off to sleep and it is rare for a child to be left to cry unless absolutley necessary. Many children thrive in centres, including babies.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

Berrie  (19-02-2012),Cue  (18-02-2012),kriista  (18-02-2012),Lock and Lu  (18-02-2012),share a book  (18-02-2012),smootch  (18-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's understandable not being able to deal with all babies needs at one time, but it's another thing entirely having an actual POLICY like this centre of SUCH a strict routine! Indeed some have no choice but to rely on childcare, and I hope there are plenty of good, flexible and caring centres out there that are adaptable and responsive to the needs of bubbies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When I felt guilty being a sahm when DD2 was about to turn 1, and I also thought I was going to have a big operation, I lined up CC for my girls, aged 2.5 and 13 months at the time they started.

I ended up pulling them out after 2 months. It was horrible. CC centres can seem so nice on the surface, but everything started adding up and I regret ever taking them.

DD1 liked it until the main carer moved up to kindy. I didn't know why but she started saying she didn't want to go and being subdued when I took her.

The director also went on maternity leave soon after we started.

I would drop off and pick up my girls at random times, as I was studying. So I saw a lot of babies crying for ages, much longer than 2min as I would fuss around and be slow in both rooms, to see if they were actually leaving the babies to cry, and they were. I asked about it and made complaints and each time they had a reasonable excuse and I felt like it wasn't my place.

One day I was dropping off DD2 into the baby room and most of the kids were crying. It was morning tea but instead of eating they were all crying into their food. One boy was hysterical and blowing spit bubbles as a result. The carer in there bent down and put her face in his, then she slammed her hand down with a loud SMACK on the table, that made me and every baby in there jump, they all bawled louder. The carer then said "you spit on this table one more time and I swear... GRRRRRRRR" and smacked her fist into her palm (like a threat). The whole time, the two other carers were just going around doing their thing, serving the food and cleaning it, or getting the babies bottlers. I was gobsmacked that this was happening while a parent (me) was in there. I walked straight to the directors office and told her what I had just seen. She told me that it was ok... because they *know* that carer isn't good with babies.. hates them.. but she was only filling in until 12, because a carer had called in sick. She is usually in the kindy room so it's all ok. I couldn't believe they didn't care and called my husband in tears. (I made a thread about it on bubhub at the time about what to do etc).

Then two other times my husband finished early and picked them up. He found DD2 hysterical in the playground with the toddler room kids. Apparently due to staff numbers etc she was put into the toddler room instead (at 14months). However she was crying as he watched the carers sit in a group talking and ignoring every kid in the playground, others were crying and others were fighting each other with nothing being done. I got him to call up and all they said was "that wouldn't have happened, and we are sorry your DD got moved up due to numbers, she shouldn't have been with the toddlers, we will sort that out".

Final straw was talking to another Mum about those couple of incidences and finding out that they had to take their DD to the hospital over a suspected broken wrist. They were fobbed off by the daycare about how it happened. Until eventually the Dad called the police into the matter. The police found out that one carer had been physically abusing their autistic DD in "punishment" and had bullied the two other carers into not telling anything/anyone. She resigned from the centre... rather than being sacked. Wonder where that delightful lady is working now?

I contacted the centre and was told it is against policy to talk to other parents about the child care and I had broken a rule. I pulled my girls out asap.

To think that this all happened in 2 months of 1 day a week the first month, and then 2 days a week for 1 month, is disgusting. I know other parents who use the centre and know this stuff, but have said because it is the only one in our suburb they will continue to use it. The director was also very calming in talking to me, and I admit I got sucked in a few times to go against my gut instinct!!

One positive is that I don't feel guilty about being a sahm anymore!

I have heard so many stories from parents using CC over the years. I am not against CC at all, but I firmly believe in spot checking, and going with your gut feeling and how your child behaves. Most kids who go to a good centre want to go every day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I need to make this very clear.

It is NOT policy.

It is AGAINST policy.

It is REPORTABLE and an OFFENSE.

IT HAS BEEN REPORTED.

I also want to point out that this is SHOCKING behaviour, and the fact it shocks means that it is very uncommon.

It should not happen AT ALL but rest assured it does not occur in many centres.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyLittleTootsies View Post
    When I felt guilty being a sahm when DD2 was about to turn 1, and I also thought I was going to have a big operation, I lined up CC for my girls, aged 2.5 and 13 months at the time they started.

I ended up pulling them out after 2 months. It was horrible. CC centres can seem so nice on the surface, but everything started adding up and I regret ever taking them.

DD1 liked it until the main carer moved up to kindy. I didn't know why but she started saying she didn't want to go and being subdued when I took her.

The director also went on maternity leave soon after we started.

I would drop off and pick up my girls at random times, as I was studying. So I saw a lot of babies crying for ages, much longer than 2min as I would fuss around and be slow in both rooms, to see if they were actually leaving the babies to cry, and they were. I asked about it and made complaints and each time they had a reasonable excuse and I felt like it wasn't my place.

One day I was dropping off DD2 into the baby room and most of the kids were crying. It was morning tea but instead of eating they were all crying into their food. One boy was hysterical and blowing spit bubbles as a result. The carer in there bent down and put her face in his, then she slammed her hand down with a loud SMACK on the table, that made me and every baby in there jump, they all bawled louder. The carer then said "you spit on this table one more time and I swear... GRRRRRRRR" and smacked her fist into her palm (like a threat). The whole time, the two other carers were just going around doing their thing, serving the food and cleaning it, or getting the babies bottlers. I was gobsmacked that this was happening while a parent (me) was in there. I walked straight to the directors office and told her what I had just seen. She told me that it was ok... because they *know* that carer isn't good with babies.. hates them.. but she was only filling in until 12, because a carer had called in sick. She is usually in the kindy room so it's all ok. I couldn't believe they didn't care and called my husband in tears. (I made a thread about it on bubhub at the time about what to do etc).

Then two other times my husband finished early and picked them up. He found DD2 hysterical in the playground with the toddler room kids. Apparently due to staff numbers etc she was put into the toddler room instead (at 14months). However she was crying as he watched the carers sit in a group talking and ignoring every kid in the playground, others were crying and others were fighting each other with nothing being done. I got him to call up and all they said was "that wouldn't have happened, and we are sorry your DD got moved up due to numbers, she shouldn't have been with the toddlers, we will sort that out".

Final straw was talking to another Mum about those couple of incidences and finding out that they had to take their DD to the hospital over a suspected broken wrist. They were fobbed off by the daycare about how it happened. Until eventually the Dad called the police into the matter. The police found out that one carer had been physically abusing their autistic DD in "punishment" and had bullied the two other carers into not telling anything/anyone. She resigned from the centre... rather than being sacked. Wonder where that delightful lady is working now?

I contacted the centre and was told it is against policy to talk to other parents about the child care and I had broken a rule. I pulled my girls out asap.

To think that this all happened in 2 months of 1 day a week the first month, and then 2 days a week for 1 month, is disgusting. I know other parents who use the centre and know this stuff, but have said because it is the only one in our suburb they will continue to use it. The director was also very calming in talking to me, and I admit I got sucked in a few times to go against my gut instinct!!

One positive is that I don't feel guilty about being a sahm anymore!

I have heard so many stories from parents using CC over the years. I am not against CC at all, but I firmly believe in spot checking, and going with your gut feeling and how your child behaves. Most kids who go to a good centre want to go every day.
    OMFG that's disgusting

Baby wearing, co-sleeping, booby feeding mummy to one

Thanks
    Reviews
    As far as having set times for sleeps and feeds goes....I really don't know how else parents would expect daycare providers to deal with multiple babies. Responding to indivifual needs like a parent would at home is just not going to happen on anywhere near the same scale.
    May sound harsh, but I read posts in here complaining about daycare a lot and I always think that if you make the decision to put your child's care in the hands of a stranger, then you really can't moan if they don't do things the way the child's own mother would.