+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    If nothing happens with letters and reports then I will try to work out how to do it without my friend getting in trouble. But it should be under investigation by next week.
    Maybe I'm a bit blinkered about child safety, but I can't see how your friend would get in trouble? If you posted here how would that connect to her? We don't know who you are (unless you have a geotag on?) and don't know your friend? Or do others know who you are??? I don't mean to be rude and I'm not pushing you to disclose before you're ready, just thinking so many parents would be grateful to know so they could protect their children

Thanks
    Reviews
    I recently put DD in DC when I dropped her off she was hysterical, I was assured she would be fine, I left and returned 5 mins later as I had left my car keys in the room, she was standing in the middle of the room screaming... I was hysterical leaving her, I came back 2 hrs later and she was still crying.... all bubs were being settled in sleep room and there was one carer in the main room with her who was settling another child... I took DD home and never returned. I was so angry and the guilt I felt nearly made me depressed.

4 mths on she is in FDC there are 2 others her age there with the carer, she did cry when dropping off and picking up but I have been there when she hasn't seen me and she plays happily, babbles etc. she sleeps well and eats all her lunch I feel so much happier, I see a big improvement in her ability and behaviour with other kids. Her carer is a 60 yo lady who has been doing FDC since her children were young, she loves the children and I can see the affection that the children have for her. I spoke to her of my concerns re how DD was previously treated and she assured me she would look after her, call me if she couldn't settle her etc..

I could never trust a DC centre again, it is a money making business and in my experience no care factor. I do have friends with kids in DC and they are happy though. It's just not for my family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Pink-Hen View Post
    In my experience DoCS respond quickly. We had an old teacher one day leave me and went out to have a smoke (thought she was taking breakfast plates back to kitchen and go to the toilet) a mum saw her when dropping in her ds and reported it to DoCS. A few days later that carer was fired and a few days later DoCS did a spot check explaining the parents complaint. We knew which parents made the report we were happy about it and told the parent this. She is still one of our parents 6 years later
    That's my experience, too. The letters were only sybmitted yesterday and she message this morning through fb about it. I asked if I could post about it, because I am certain no parent would be happy.

Those of you around here, it is not a local centre, she moved from here before her first was born. She always thought the staff were friendly and the centre well presented, now she feels awful but how could anyone know?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Responding to babies crying is not responding to manipulation~ babies don't manipulat

I just learnt from a mummy friend that one nursery is run to a strict routine.

"Babies under 6 months are in the sleep room from 9.30 to 11.30, 12.30 to 2.30 and 3.30 until 5or until their parents get there."

Maybe some peoples bubs are ok with strict routine, but mine isn't. This routine is stricter than that of most hospital nurseries (which are run to routine to benefit the bubs, not make life easier for the workers...

"They... are given 15 minutes max to finish a bottle, if they take longer then they musn't want it."

Many bubs are slow feeders and can take up to half an hour to finish a bottle if under six months. They may take longer than usual if they've been crying to have their needs met and have been ignored.

"If they are provided more bottles they are sent home with older bubs, or tipped out and written up for younger bubs."

What a waste of resources. Sounds like they don't make their policy well known, or no parent would send extra bottles thus wasting formula or labour over a breast pump if it were to be chucked! I know what my baby needs by what he's alredy had. If he were written up as having a bottle he did not have, i would be taken by surprise when he demands a feed earlier than expected.

"If they don't sleep they are left to cry. If they wake earlier, they are left to cry. Sometimes for over 2 hours."

How would they feel if a baby died due to a medical problem that went undiscovered? Often babies cry due to being too hot or cold, slightly uncomfortable and need a position change. Hours of crying could be easily resolved with a quick check, some comforting (you don't even need to pick up baby to do this) or a blanket removed or replaced. When my bub was in the Special Care nursery, we were taught to not try to hush baby, but to comfort in a way that acknowledges their distress. Check for wet nappy, temp, hunger, and that a baby WILL CRY LESS ACROSS A DAY IF THEY KNOW THEY ARE HEARD AND QUICKLY COMFORTED WHEN NEED BE. THEY ARE MORE SECURE WITHIN THEMSELVES IF COMFORTED. Any daycare that has this strict policy would not be a great place for any baby to reside for any length of time. I would not trust them to pick the differences in my child's calls, the ones that signify hungry, tired, etc. If they did notice different cries, would they do anything different about it, or just more routine?
    Yes, having routine at home is good, so bub knows what to expect, but this level of routine is unhelpful.

"The worker in the room never let her own kids manipulate her, and is not about to let other people's kids manipulate her. (her words)"

Babies this young cannot manipulate, they don't know enough to do so. The manipulation comes later! The crying for needs to be met/comfort should not be ignored by these workers.

"How would you feel about that?"
    I feel it's depl9orable, especially if parents are not appraised of this styrict routine beforehand. Though i reckon you'd pick up the vibe if you went to this daycare...all the crying bubs might be a tip-off!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    That's a big reason why I don't have my kids in CC.

I can't trust others to parent my kids like I do.
    Yup!

And I might be flamed for this but it wouldn't surprise me at all if this happens in most, if not all DC's. Not because they are bad people but rather because what else can you do? If you've got X amount of babies and only a couple of carers...what do you do? You can't carry all of them around. You can't pat all of them to sleep. You can't rock them all. So it seems logical to me that they would just leave them to cry. That's the only logical thing to do.

It's not something I want done to my baby/toddler so I never sent them! And I've used CC, but not like that - never like that!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default That's awful.

shame on that childcare facility! That's awful and very old-fashioned. Our childcare is nothing like that. The kids are asked to have quiet time for an hour if they can't sleep but aren't left to cry themselves into hysterics, they get back rubs and stories and are allowed to have their bottle for as long as they want. They can even take their blankies or teddies in with them. Not all CC is so bad...but that one sounds terrible and should be referred on to the registration board.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    Yup!

And I might be flamed for this but it wouldn't surprise me at all if this happens in most, if not all DC's. Not because they are bad people but rather because what else can you do? If you've got X amount of babies and only a couple of carers...what do you do? You can't carry all of them around. You can't pat all of them to sleep. You can't rock them all. So it seems logical to me that they would just leave them to cry. That's the only logical thing to do.

It's not something I want done to my baby/toddler so I never sent them! And I've used CC, but not like that - never like that!
    It is actually not common at all. Sometimes it can take a minute or 2 to get to them when they wake, and sometimes they cry for a bottle but have to wait for it to be prepared, again maybe 2 or 3 minutes but that's it.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (18-02-2012),Yep  (18-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How horrible

All the stories in this thread makes me very thankful for DS's awesome centre and carers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    It is actually not common at all. Sometimes it can take a minute or 2 to get to them when they wake, and sometimes they cry for a bottle but have to wait for it to be prepared, again maybe 2 or 3 minutes but that's it.
    Just seems logical to me that it would be more common than not. For the simple fact that, as I said, there's X amount of babies to only a few carers....they can't all be patted at the same time, they can't all be rocked at the same time, they can't all be carried at the same time. So it's logical to me that they woudl HAVE to be left to cry for an extended period of time. You can't do the impossible. And I don't believe for one minute that DC's can do the impossible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Yeah I have to agree with D. Even the best centres with the best workers would have trouble meeting every need straight away, purely bc of staffing.

This is the very reason my kids didn't go to DC before 2. By that age they are talking and can tell me. I'm lucky I'm a SAHM though. I feel for others that have to go back to work with little babies. I would worry myself sick that their needs weren't being attended to.