+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    That's a big reason why I don't have my kids in CC.

I can't trust others to parent my kids like I do.
    So from this one example you generalise to all daycare??

I've never heard of anything like this, it sounds abominable and I would not ever consider leaving my child at such a place no matter how much I needed daycare.

My centre are absolutely wonderful and asked me when my son naps, when he has his bottle(s) (which I provided) and if he has any dietary needs/preferences. I don't leave him a full day anyway, but they work around the babies routines etc and have full write-ups of exactly when the bubs slept, ate, drank, activities they did etc each day for parents to view.

I know the girls who work there all quite well now (one is my sister) and I couldn't praise them highly enough for the care they take with DS - he loves going to 'school'.

The example in this thread is extreme, and seems unreal to me. But it's up to US AS PARENTS to decide which centre our children go to, so don't send your kids there if you don't like it - it's that simple!

Personally I think it shouldn't be allowed and should be shut down or forced to change it's policy!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Chocolate All Gone Now  (20-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyLittleTootsies View Post
    When I felt guilty being a sahm when DD2 was about to turn 1, and I also thought I was going to have a big operation, I lined up CC for my girls, aged 2.5 and 13 months at the time they started.

I ended up pulling them out after 2 months. It was horrible. CC centres can seem so nice on the surface, but everything started adding up and I regret ever taking them.

DD1 liked it until the main carer moved up to kindy. I didn't know why but she started saying she didn't want to go and being subdued when I took her.

The director also went on maternity leave soon after we started.

I would drop off and pick up my girls at random times, as I was studying. So I saw a lot of babies crying for ages, much longer than 2min as I would fuss around and be slow in both rooms, to see if they were actually leaving the babies to cry, and they were. I asked about it and made complaints and each time they had a reasonable excuse and I felt like it wasn't my place.

One day I was dropping off DD2 into the baby room and most of the kids were crying. It was morning tea but instead of eating they were all crying into their food. One boy was hysterical and blowing spit bubbles as a result. The carer in there bent down and put her face in his, then she slammed her hand down with a loud SMACK on the table, that made me and every baby in there jump, they all bawled louder. The carer then said "you spit on this table one more time and I swear... GRRRRRRRR" and smacked her fist into her palm (like a threat). The whole time, the two other carers were just going around doing their thing, serving the food and cleaning it, or getting the babies bottlers. I was gobsmacked that this was happening while a parent (me) was in there. I walked straight to the directors office and told her what I had just seen. She told me that it was ok... because they *know* that carer isn't good with babies.. hates them.. but she was only filling in until 12, because a carer had called in sick. She is usually in the kindy room so it's all ok. I couldn't believe they didn't care and called my husband in tears. (I made a thread about it on bubhub at the time about what to do etc).

Then two other times my husband finished early and picked them up. He found DD2 hysterical in the playground with the toddler room kids. Apparently due to staff numbers etc she was put into the toddler room instead (at 14months). However she was crying as he watched the carers sit in a group talking and ignoring every kid in the playground, others were crying and others were fighting each other with nothing being done. I got him to call up and all they said was "that wouldn't have happened, and we are sorry your DD got moved up due to numbers, she shouldn't have been with the toddlers, we will sort that out".

Final straw was talking to another Mum about those couple of incidences and finding out that they had to take their DD to the hospital over a suspected broken wrist. They were fobbed off by the daycare about how it happened. Until eventually the Dad called the police into the matter. The police found out that one carer had been physically abusing their autistic DD in "punishment" and had bullied the two other carers into not telling anything/anyone. She resigned from the centre... rather than being sacked. Wonder where that delightful lady is working now?

I contacted the centre and was told it is against policy to talk to other parents about the child care and I had broken a rule. I pulled my girls out asap.

To think that this all happened in 2 months of 1 day a week the first month, and then 2 days a week for 1 month, is disgusting. I know other parents who use the centre and know this stuff, but have said because it is the only one in our suburb they will continue to use it. The director was also very calming in talking to me, and I admit I got sucked in a few times to go against my gut instinct!!

One positive is that I don't feel guilty about being a sahm anymore!

I have heard so many stories from parents using CC over the years. I am not against CC at all, but I firmly believe in spot checking, and going with your gut feeling and how your child behaves. Most kids who go to a good centre want to go every day.
    OMG ..I f*****g hate people!!!!! that is so horrible!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    This thread scares the bejeebers out of me.
    Me too!

I'm a SAHM now, but returning to work this year after 1 year off to have Bubby #5.

We're new to this area & will need to use CC as our family are too far away. We need the money (& I like working), but this makes me want to budget more & stay at home!

Those poor children

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    This is one of the reasons I personally wouldn't put a baby in DC. They can't tell you what's happening
    Ummmm yes they can!! And if you ask they have to tell you!

It drives me insane when people get all histerical over one bad example. It makes no sense....

Paretns need to take responsibility and choose a centre that suits their and their child's needs, there's heaps of good places around!

And of course you have every right to call the shots when it's your child - childcare centres ask for parent input and participation all the time.

Don't freak out people, geeez it's just one example - shocking yes, but still....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

smootch  (22-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's horrible but thankfully not indicative of all centres. I'm a SAHM now but DS was in daycare for 10 months, starting at 1 and ending at 3 days a week from when he was 6 months old. The kids were patted, rocked, soothed & sung to sleep if needed. There was a "routine" in place but DS didn't fit into it at all. They let him sleep when he needed to, not when it suited them. I popped in on occasion unannounced & any crying babies or kids we're always being consoled or carried by a daycare worker.

It's unfair to tar all centres with the same brush.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (20-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    After working in CC I do refuse to let my own kids go to CC for partly that reason. DP and I decided that CC is not for us or our children and that I am better off looking after them here at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post
    So from this one example you generalise to all daycare??
    Not at all. I said 'I can't trust other people to care for my kids like I do'. Which is a fair statement I thought.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Bexta  (20-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the poster means the baby/child can't tell you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I feel sick reading the original post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

It drives me insane when people get all histerical over one bad example. It makes no sense....

Paretns need to take responsibility and choose a centre that suits their and their child's needs, there's heaps of good places around!

And of course you have every right to call the shots when it's your child - childcare centres ask for parent input and participation all the time.

Don't freak out people, geeez it's just one example - shocking yes, but still....
    I think she means babies can't tell you what's wrong.

And it's all well and good to say all that but the records kept by my mummy friend and the records kept by the GL and shown to the parents are 2 totally different things.