+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This thread scares the bejeebers out of me. DD starts daycare in a few weeks, she'll be 7mo. I have to go back to work so as lovely as it would be to stay home, it's just not really an option at the moment. I don't consider myself a bad parent for using dc nor do I think the carers are raising my child for me.

I agree with a few comments above, there are lots of good quality centres with fabulous dedicated staff.

The centre I'm sending DD to encourages parents to spend time there, they have an open door policy and went to great lengths to assure me dd's home routine will be followed. When I rocked up unannounced to inspect it they were more than happy to take me through and the bubs all looked content. The staff were all on the floor actively interacting with the bubs or holding the little ones etc.

But I guarantee you I'll be watching them like a hawk for a while with plenty of drop-ins until I'm 100% comfortable with it all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't read all the replies. However I would like to share.

Ds was 2.5 when he started at child care. He loved it, then he was moved at 3 to a new room with new teachers. He hated it, he was bullied which I bought up with his teachers and directors which they seemed to show little interest too which upset me because until then I would rave about this centre. However it got worse quickly. I noticed more anxiety in ds and when I would drop him off j would leave in tears as they would literally have to tear him off me. We were in the process of moving (which the center didn't know) so I needed to preserve for 2 weeks until one morning ds was so upset I left sad as usual and watch the assistant hold ds as I got in the car, reversed out and as I started driving away (I was ver close to almost out of sight) she put him down and walked away while he was crying uncontrollably. 3 hrs later I took him out of the centre completely.

Now he goes to a new one which is great. He lives it and is learning so much. I turn up to pick him up any hour of the day and never see anything negative. The children are all clean, happy and looked after. They do a marvelous job! Both my children are happy and really look forward to their day care days.

So unfortunately their are some really cra.p centers but also obviously alot of great ones. It's hard to know and tell the difference and no advice how to do that. But I'm glad I have had positive outcomes too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    Yup!

And I might be flamed for this but it wouldn't surprise me at all if this happens in most, if not all DC's. Not because they are bad people but rather because what else can you do? If you've got X amount of babies and only a couple of carers...what do you do? You can't carry all of them around. You can't pat all of them to sleep. You can't rock them all. So it seems logical to me that they would just leave them to cry. That's the only logical thing to do.

It's not something I want done to my baby/toddler so I never sent them! And I've used CC, but not like that - never like that!

I ran a Babies room for 4 of my 11 years in child care and we did manage to rock or pat all bubba's of to sleep by staggering there sleep times and we also had a system that I divised depending on what time they arrived in the morning , There were 8 babies and two carers, we had red group and blue group first four to arrive were red group second 4 were blue, There was not a moment in the day where we were not holding a bub.

I use to think what the parents may have gone through to get a bub such as IVF and that all children deserve to be treated with respect, we did everything we could to ensure they were well cared for , we use to call the director in to help at lunch time so that all bubbas were happy.

If at any point I was unable to settle a child I would contact the parent and let them know and decide what was best for their child.

Parents are entrusting you with there most prescious thing in the world there child so you do what the parent wants end of story.

On a side note my dd does not attend care because I am yet to find a decent one where I live.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fichicken For This Useful Post:

3awesomeboys  (19-02-2012),Berrie  (19-02-2012),Bexta  (20-02-2012),PurpleButterfly4  (19-02-2012),share a book  (19-02-2012),smootch  (19-02-2012),Stiflers Mom  (19-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by halloweendee View Post
    my 4mo is in family daycare for 1 day a week (just started this week) as i had to go back to work.
    my hubby wants to put her in a large daycare as he doesn't like the idea of the family daycare with visiting shops, doing school runs etc. i agree, i don't like the idea of her travelling in a car but i can't bring myself to put her in a large daycare like this.

reminds me of the simpsons episode where maggie was thrown in the giant ball pit with 50 other children.....
    I have found most people are scared to say anything!!! I hate it.. I find in my work place i have to convince people to go foward and say something when they see staff behaving badly (which is very rare and does get dealt with) i go straight to the director when i see something.. If its not good enough for my kid its not good enough.. Thats my motto

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really do think they need spies in cc...like they have in shops .. The boss hires spies to make sure their staff are behaving! I dont want to imagine what does go on in other centres.. This subject makes me so freaking angry!!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Babies room does have some routine regarding meal times for those that can eat solids. Any baby not on solids are either demand feeding or scheduled feeding & whatever way is set by the parents. It's up to them if we change type of feeding.
    Sleep times vary on the baby. You'll find the older ones say from 13mths onwards will have 1 big sleep, after lunch. The centres I've been in usually have lunch 11/11:15am. The young babies will sleep whenever they want to.
    Once they go up into Toddler room that is more set routine because the kids are at the age they have just 1 big sleep. However u do get occasions where a child falls asleep in the morn or before lunch. So they are put in an area where they won't be annoyed or stood/climbed on. The child will be given their meal when they wake up.

We do have children that will cry & keep crying even if you are giving comfort. In those instances we are to keep close but give them space. Sometimes we take them to a quieter area eg outdoors if the children are indoors to allow them to calm down & sometimes let them run out their frustration.

99% of centres are run of high quality & the carers are there because they love working with children. They love to care & teach the youngest of the human race. Unfortunately you do get the 1% of centres who we only hear about. Bad news always runs faster than good.
    So trust your instincts. You will know as soon as you set foot in a centre if it's for your child or not. It's the same as when I work in them, just some centres aren't for me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleButterfly4 For This Useful Post:

Berrie  (19-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've only read part of this thread but what I've read breaks my heart

Ds1 was in care a couple hours a week from 4 -10months old because we couldn't afford for me not to work. Once DH got a better paying job, I was able to stay home with my babies & once they turn 2 they start preschool 1 day a week, I loved the centre ds1 had to go to at 4momths old & I looooove the preschool they attend now.

I am studying to be a childcare worker so I can take good care of other peoples children when they have no choice but to put their pride & joy into care. I want to be able to look after people's babies exactly how I would expect my babies to be cared for. I can't put it into better words than what fichicken said

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would die before my baby was put into that daycare.

But in saying that, the reason I like the daycares around me is because they are so flexible and do whatever the mother wants really. So if a mom did happen to like a structure similar to the one you're talking about then they would try their best to follow it.

Not for me though....I'd be pi$$ed beyond desricption if I found out they were leaving my son to cry to sleep or not tending to his needs etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think daycares that dont allow drop in's are ones to watch out for. We always rocked, cuddled and even sang restless babies/toddlers to sleep...and if all else failed, we would call the parents up, explain the situation and ask what they would like us to do. Some came and got them, other were able to come in and settle them for us and then go back to work. It did break my heart though when we called one mum up and she said 'oh just leave him to cry, he'l wear himself out eventually'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GothChick View Post
    I think daycares that dont allow drop in's are ones to watch out for....
    Are there really centres that don't allow drop ins??!!! That makes alarm bells go off in my mind, big time!