+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Decorative stones in garden?

I hate weeding with a passion lol
    I was thinking once I get this garden weeded, about putting some white stones in it. I love white
    It's right on the front of a red brick house, and so far the only plants in the ground are a jade plant, and 2 small trees, I have a few yuccas that I bought along from my old place too.
    Should I lay a weed mat underneath to stop weeds and dirt from ruining my effort?
    And do you think white stones will look ok with red brick or should I try another colour? I want to create a zen like feeling and may even add a water feature too. See how I go anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it woud look fine, my parents have a red brick house and there paving is also done in a reddish colour and they have white quartz stones in there gardens and around the house and it looks great. I'm not 100% sure but I think they used weed matting, or it could have just been sheet plastic (as my dad is a concreter, so they have plenty around) but what ever they used it keeping the weeds away! They also have a little water feature area with plants around it. If I can, I will attach a photo (if I find one) to show you what i mean.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Littlemissmetal For This Useful Post:

bronny-jane  (18-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Sounds fantastic! As soon as we buy our place that's what we have planned for our gardens. We want a big pond with little fishies too.

babycake is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Funniest Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi There,
    Absolutely positively do weed matting. When we moved into our existing house we were blown away about how lovely the garden looked. We had a lovely white stoned path leading up to our front door. It looked fantastic. The only reason it looked fantastic was the previous owner spent hours in the garden every weekend weeding (the neighbours told us this) If we left it for a few weeks it looked AWFUL. We eneded up ripping it all up and puttng turf down which does look great, but we just did not have the time to weed every weekend. In hind sight I bet the previous owner had wished that he had put weed matting down too.
    Hope this helps

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babycake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    Sounds fantastic! As soon as we buy our place that's what we have planned for our gardens. We want a big pond with little fishies too.
    I'd love a pond, but my cats are hunters, they'd eat fish, even if I meshed it over, they'd get in lol. I'm thinking maybe one of those statues at big w that have the water fountain and light.. I love garden lights

tiggerfields is offline Priestess of Kult K'iesha... Mooo!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have a stone courtyard and fishpond out the front and we love it! We don't have issues with weeds (only the odd one coming up).

Out the back we have natives and thick woodchip mulch and again we prepared the ground carefully to prevent having to weed. We are very lazy and hate gardening haha.

Here's how we prepared it. Firstly we ripped up every weed we could see including digging out roots where we could. We then thoroughly dug over and turned all the soil with pitchforks to disrupt the roots further. When it was all dug over we sprayed the soil heavily with Roundup.

We then laid weed matting (bought a massive roll from Bunnings) and clipped it together where the pieces joined (important otherwise weeds will grow in the cracks). Finally we laid the stones/woodchips over the top.

Our stones are a good 40-50cm deep - depth stops weeds as no sunlight can get to the ground. I'd also recommend putting in a timber barrier to stop the stones migrating, I am forever kicking stones out of the carport. DH is going to put a barrier up soon.

Here's our front garden. There are little koi in the pond (ignore the ugly bin!). I like these river stones because they don't stain like white ones do. Plus white stones reflect the sun massively and hurt the eyes on sunny days, when they are in a big area.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36295977@N02/6893372009/
    Last edited by tiggerfields; 18-02-2012 at 08:08.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tiggerfields For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, very nice garden there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    That's lovely tigger!!!!