Closed Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    No it isn't. At one centre, whooping cough was offered free a couple of years ago to anyone who wanted it, but that was only one centre.
    Anyone who cares for a child can have it free.

As a foster carer we were offered free boosters.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

share a book  (17-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Interesting, I can see a few people freaking out over this....

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app
    Probably will. I think people would freak out more if they knew how few workers are vaccinated fully. Most have had none beyond 5 years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yep - I worked in Childcare without up to date immunisations. I didn't even think of it & it was never brought up.

I'll be getting a WC Vax though when baby girl comes. It mustn't have been so prevalent 3 years ago as I don't even remember it being mentioned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my boss employs you in your file she has you full out your current immunization status and she encouraged you to get it up to date but it's your own choice to do so. I know I'm not upto date with hep b at least. But my gp didn't want me to go ahead with it as I was TTC and I've spent the last ten years TTC/pregnant/or breast feeding.

Most of our children are vaxed but we still have at least one whooping cough a year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    Yep - I worked in Childcare without up to date immunisations. I didn't even think of it & it was never brought up.

I'll be getting a WC Vax though when baby girl comes. It mustn't have been so prevalent 3 years ago as I don't even remember it being mentioned.
    There was a large outbreak around the time L was born so between Jasper and L in syd area, L got her vax early because of it and me, dh and grandparents all had it for free after her birth

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD is 3 and it was recommended when she was born that anyone having close contact with her often ,have the WC immunisation.
    It was definitely a concern 3 years ago,

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do realize it is not compulsory to vaccinated off course I'm not an idiot. I just thought that in an area such as a daycare where there are infants it would just be more reinforced. All the carers are fully vaccinated, so I was told and most of E playmates and family are all up to date on their vaccinations. I think I just assume everyone should be vaccinated because I'm a Heath care worker and and work with babies that extremely ill from totally preventable diseases. I know E is going to eventually come into contact with non vaccinated people but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to expose him to them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Furthermore, there was actually an epidemic of WC from 2008-2009 which is why all parents were/are offered the vax for free and all people having prolonged, frequent contact with children should have it.
    I am astounded that someone was allowed to work in a NSW CCC 3 years ago without an up to date WC vaccination.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I worked in aged care (different obviously) and staff were offered certain vaccinations for free- a friend in child care has much the same deal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    well..to me ANY parent who chooses not to vaccinate as they feel it would compromise their child, has a valid reason.

There is NOT enough information and so how is anyone to make a fully informed choice.

IMO, if a parent perceives a risk then all they can do is refuse to have their child vaccinated..
    as ANY parent who suspects it could be a risk, and goes ahead anyway is way worse!
    Even if their reasoning is based on pseudo science? Even if they believe lies and conspiracy theories penned by people not qualified to provide this type of advice? Even if they base their whole opinion on a fraudulent and retracted study? Even if they can only reference a study from the 1950's that it no longer current and has been surpassed by superior research? Sorry but none of this spells "valid reason" to me.

There is actually HEAPS of information readily available, studies being done all the time- just yesterday another was released that again shows ZERO evidence of a link between vaccines and autism. Why on earth would the govt recommend and fund immunisation if they had not had it thoroughly researched? What benefit would there be to give babies unsafe injections? Common sense alone should tell you something but if not, use google scholar to find some studies and discourse on the subject- there are many peer reviewed studies available on line.

And your last point makes EVERYONE a bad patent. There is a risk of reaction with any medical procedure. Acute adverse reaction to vaccines is a real risk- but it is minuscule. A child is more likely to suffer adverse reactions to the diseases you leave them more exposed to by not giving the the protection a vaccination offers. Not vaccinating actually offers a greater risk to the child than vaccinating- I'm on the iPhone or I'd post links, there are many stats to back this, you can google it. Basically what I'm saying is that there is always a risk, being a parent is about weighing up those risks and, for me, taking the path where the risk is proven to be lower. I acknowledge there is a risk, however tiny, and go on with what I know to be best. I don't see how this makes me a "worse" parent than one who weighs the same risks and chooses a path of increased risk (even though they may believe its otherwise)
    Last edited by Atropos; 18-02-2012 at 07:06.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (18-02-2012)

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast