Closed Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Have the adults in his life ensured their vaccinations are up to date? Because if they haven't, they're just as likely to expose him to the things you're worried about.

It's not compulsory to vaccinate and nor should it be.

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Azurial  (18-02-2012),Berrie  (18-02-2012),chameleon  (18-02-2012),Etienne  (17-02-2012),Gandalf  (17-02-2012),Izy  (17-02-2012),jennibear  (17-02-2012),kbf2plus2  (18-02-2012),lones  (18-02-2012),MilkingMaid  (17-02-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (18-02-2012),naebie  (17-02-2012),PomPoms  (17-02-2012),smallpotatoes  (17-02-2012),Stiflers Mom  (17-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you vaccinate why would you be worried?? ISnt that what you believe vaccinations do...STOP then contracting a disease???

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jennibear For This Useful Post:

Azurial  (18-02-2012),Berrie  (18-02-2012),Etienne  (17-02-2012),lones  (18-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jennibear View Post
    If you vaccinate why would you be worried?? ISnt that what you believe vaccinations do...STOP then contracting a disease???
    That IS what vaccines do, yes... It's proven, not just a "belief" . As I said previously, some vaccines are not at maximum effectiveness until the full course is taken- the example I gave of whooping cough is a good one- its not 100% anyway, but it is given in 3 doses, and if your child has only had one or two, the effectiveness is even lower, though they still have more immunity than an un-vaccinated child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    No where in australia is it legal for children to be excluded from anything based on their vaccination status. (provided the government has been notified of what their status is)

As long as your child is completely up to date for his age, and you trust vaccinations (as you clearly do) then whats the risk to him from other children not being vaccinated?
    Family daycare can legally exclude based on anything. One scheme in town won't accept unvaxed or even partially vaxed children. Individual carers can also legally discriminate against special needs kids or kids with allergies.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (17-02-2012),Ulysses  (18-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son has not had any vaccinations since the last whooping cough one (so anything after 12 months of age) and he has attended day care since he was 6 months old.

I have no idea how many children at his day care are vaccinated or not but the only outbreaks have been chicken pox and those that cannot be vaccinated for (well as far as I know) such as hand foot and mouth and conjuctivitis.

My son got chicken pox and so did a few kids at the centre - he got it less severe then the children who were vaccinated according to the workers.

I am not amedical professional nor a anti or pro vaccination advocate but I would imagine that your child will be at no more risk than he/she will be when they go to school.

If you are unhappy maybe look around for a day care with lower figures for unvaccinated children.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (17-02-2012),jennibear  (17-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The thing to think about is many people who dont vacinate there children have a reason for it, My cousins for instance both had perfectly healthy baby boys, although after they had their injection for mezzels, mumps and rubella they both now suffer from severe Autisum. This make me question whether i will get our little man vacinated for MMR.

However he will be getting all other vacines and i dont believe this should be a reason for him to be excluded from any childcare, activity ect

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by buboven View Post
    The thing to think about is many people who dont vacinate there children have a reason for it, My cousins for instance both had perfectly healthy baby boys, although after they had their injection for mezzels, mumps and rubella they both now suffer from severe Autisum. This make me question whether i will get our little man vacinated for MMR.

However he will be getting all other vacines and i dont believe this should be a reason for him to be excluded from any childcare, activity ect
    Buboven, there is no evidence linking vaccines and autism. The one study that claimed to have proven a link was discredited, formally retracted by the Lancet, proven fraudulent and the "doctor" who authored it was stricken off the medical register. MMR does NOT cause autism. I'm sorry for your cousin's children, but they did not "catch" autism from a vaccine. This is a dangerous and false belief- just look at un vaxxed kids who are autistic. I hope you do some further investigation into this- children get serious ill, suffer long term and sometimes permanent health issues (sterility etc) from contracting these diseases- they can even die.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Boost  (17-02-2012),Californication  (18-02-2012),emzluvbub  (18-02-2012),growingbelly  (17-02-2012),Guest654  (17-02-2012),HELPihavea2yrold!  (18-02-2012),Rutabaga  (18-02-2012),smallpotatoes  (17-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Buboven, there is no evidence linking vaccines and autism. The one study that claimed to have proven a link was discredited, formally retracted by the Lancet, proven fraudulent and the "doctor" who authored it was stricken off the medical register. MMR does NOT cause autism. I'm sorry for your cousin's children, but they did not "catch" autism from a vaccine. This is a dangerous and false belief- just look at un vaxxed kids who are autistic. I hope you do some further investigation into this- children get serious ill, suffer long term and sometimes permanent health issues (sterility etc) from contracting these diseases- they can even die.

I understand the study that claimed it was discredited ect, But how can you say theres not a link when two perfectly healthy children in my family had the same outcome. im not saying that every child will have this issue but in My family there is obviously a link between them IMO. I also didnt say i wasnt getting my child vacinated for MMR as i have researched and know the risk ect, But I wont choose to vacinate my child based on other peoples opinion whether there is a link or not between the two.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterbubs1012 View Post
    How stupid!!! They should atleast have to have the whooping cough vax!
    More people probably would if they had the option to have the WC vax without the others it's administered with.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stiflers Mom For This Useful Post:

Azurial  (18-02-2012),BabushkaMumma  (17-02-2012),Etienne  (17-02-2012),Izy  (17-02-2012),jennibear  (17-02-2012),naebie  (17-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It will depend on the centre's policy on immunisations. You can easily access them via the handbook you receive with info or just ask the centre director.
    Because of discrimination stuff it's very hard to exclude non vac'd children from a centre.
    Like another poster said if an outbreak of an illness or disease does happen the non vac'd children will have to stay away from the centre until medical cert have been returned from the infected kids.