Closed Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 106
  1. #91
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,291
    Thanks
    3,115
    Thanked
    6,303
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post

    OP, no you can't win and you also can't have an opinion. Don't you know bubhub is also known as the 'I don't vaccinate' forum. Yes lots of us here do vaccinate but most people have given up arguing
    Really??? I've seen maybe 2 anti vaxers on here and a handful of us selective/delayed vaxxers , there is easily more pro vaxxers on this site , read all the pp comments and you will notice most of them do vax they just didn't agree with compulsory vaccinations , in my opinion it's some of the very pro " I don't care how sick your child is he should be immunised" posters that stop people from commenting on these topics as they become quite rude and bully other posters

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

    Azurial  (20-02-2012),Stiflers Mom  (18-02-2012)

  3. #92
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    985
    Thanks
    240
    Thanked
    166
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There's definitely more than two anti-vaxxers here. Most just know better than to post about it

  4. #93
    Ulysses's Avatar
    Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,501
    Thanks
    1,455
    Thanked
    609
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As far as contraindications for dtap go, concurrent acute moderate to severe illness & chronic illness are not contraindications for the vaccine. However they are listed as precautions, & would be evaluated on a case by case basis by the practitioner. Persons with moderate or severe illnesses, with or without fever, can be vaccinated as soon as they are recovering and no longer acutely ill.
    With relation to Chronic illness, according to the CDC “The great majority of persons with chronic illnesses should be appropriately vaccinated. The decision whether or not to vaccinate these persons, and what vaccines to give, should be made on an individual basis”. So a doctor would advise the appropriate course of action based on each individual case, but according to the experts it should not interfere with the majority of cases.

    According to the Australian Immunisation handbook “Children with minor illness (without an acute systemic illness and with a current temperature below 38.5oC) may be vaccinated safely. Major illness or high fever may be confused with vaccine side effects and increase discomfort to the child.Therefore vaccination should be postponed for 2 to 3 days until the child is well. A return appointment for vaccination should be made at the time of deferral.

    Apart from some of the confusion surrounding illness & vaccinations some people may believe that delaying vaccines is beneficial however no real scientific evidence of this exists & thus far the one study done on this topic has indicated there are no developmental benefits in delaying vaccines but there are substantial risks. Specifically "This study suggests that delaying vaccines does not give infants any advantage in terms of brain development," Dr. Smith said. Published online Monday in the medical journal Pediatrics, the study is believed to be the first to address the issue of delayed vaccination”. It also states “More than 90% of babies are vaccinated, but only 76% of children from the ages of 19 to 35 months get all recommended doses of key vaccines, according to data released last year by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Fewer than 1% of children receive no vaccines. Dr. Smith likens a parent's decision to delay vaccination to someone buckling their seat belt after 20 minutes of riding in the car. "You don't know when you'll get hit". http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...687548864.html

    I have never had a problem with those who are contra indicated receiving vaccines however I do have a problem with the inference that any concurrent illness at the time of vaccination means you will have to postpone. In the vast majority of cases it should not mean a long delay.

    Essentially a medical professional should be able to advise the individual but I understand what 4under4 is getting at with her comment.


  5. #94
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,794
    Thanks
    3,395
    Thanked
    3,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    Sorry I don't really understand whether your child is up to date with vaxes now? If they were truly constantly sick with temps how were you able to send them to CC?
    Seriously, I do understand how difficult it is to get your child vaxed when they are sick all the time. My baby didn't get her 4 month ones till 9 months for that reason. But to delay for years or not vax their next child like the PP said, no I don't think that is valid.
    It was the pp who had a child with constant illnesses excluding them from vaccinations, but not from childcare.

    My dd was born with a hole in her heart, she had hep b at birth then no others until 12 months and mmr wasn't until 5. There are still a couple she hasn't had like chicken pox, and she has never been given a flu vaccine.

    But again, if doctors who know the child advise against vaccinations, or to at least delay, then how can you say the reasons are not valid?

  6. #95
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,291
    Thanks
    3,115
    Thanked
    6,303
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    It was the pp who had a child with constant illnesses excluding them from vaccinations, but not from childcare.

    My dd was born with a hole in her heart, she had hep b at birth then no others until 12 months and mmr wasn't until 5. There are still a couple she hasn't had like chicken pox, and she has never been given a flu vaccine.

    But again, if doctors who know the child advise against vaccinations, or to at least delay, then how can you say the reasons are not valid?
    Because some pro vaxxers who throw medical and scientific research at you are not ( usually) doctors and have no clue about each individual child's health and therefore are just as bad as anti vaxxers trying to bully parents into doing something they are not comfortable with!

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

    Stiflers Mom  (18-02-2012)

  8. #96
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,379
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked
    637
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree it's difficult if doctors suggest not to vaccinate. And I'm truly astounded by the apparent number of doctors who suggest not vaccinating for no good reason. Thankyou to the PP who took the time to explain that recurrent illnesses are not a reason to not vax. I can only postulate that many doctors, when confronted with an anxious mother just can't be bothered arguing. Or they are ignorant.

    Sorry if I 'bullied' non vaxxers. Again, the PP asked a question and I answered it. Or was the question supposed to be rhetorical.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

    Ulysses  (18-02-2012)

  10. #97
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,794
    Thanks
    3,395
    Thanked
    3,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    I agree it's difficult if doctors suggest not to vaccinate. And I'm truly astounded by the apparent number of doctors who suggest not vaccinating for no good reason. Thankyou to the PP who took the time to explain that recurrent illnesses are not a reason to not vax. I can only postulate that many doctors, when confronted with an anxious mother just can't be bothered arguing. Or they are ignorant.

    Sorry if I 'bullied' non vaxxers. Again, the PP asked a question and I answered it. Or was the question supposed to be rhetorical.
    Not rhetorical, but that poster also said that there were medical reasons, which doctors agreed with.

    Yes it is done on a case by case basis, but when people say in their case it was better to not vax or delay vaxing, it still is seen as an invalid reason

  11. #98
    MilkingMaid's Avatar
    MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    9,661
    Thanks
    3,787
    Thanked
    2,144
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Being uber pedantic here, but Vit K is not a vaccine

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (18-02-2012),naebie  (18-02-2012),Ulysses  (18-02-2012)

  13. #99
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,794
    Thanks
    3,395
    Thanked
    3,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post
    Being uber pedantic here, but Vit K is not a vaccine
    You're right, but it's often referred to as 'a shot' so thought of as the same type of thing. I was told it was available as an option if I wanted it, but it wasn't automatc. Same with hep b, but in our situation it was decided that it should be given whereas vit k was not.

  14. #100
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,276
    Thanks
    3,697
    Thanked
    3,090
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've been following this thread, and I'm a bit confused as to what people are confused about...

    Forgive me if I'm being slow, but what I've got from this thread (and the other ones that are linked) is:

    Alimia is pro-vax, and was confused about why there was a higher % of non-vaxxed kids at daycare.

    She thought there would be more, or that the daycare centre would make it mandatory.

    She's not judging the non-vaxxers, but from a personal stance would prefer it if kids had to be vaxxed when at daycare.

    Her husband is a paediatrician.

    She works as a paediatrician's specialist.

    I don't see any contradictions?
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 18-02-2012 at 16:54.

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (18-02-2012),Rutabaga  (18-02-2012),Ulysses  (18-02-2012)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Ikea - do you need immunization record for childcare?
    By Chew the Mintie in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-07-2012, 12:45
  2. Immunization payment
    By our4boys in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-05-2012, 16:53
  3. Conceiving soon after immunization booster...?
    By Justwant2beamummy in forum Medicines & Herbal Remedies During Pregnancy
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-02-2012, 08:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Ro&Co
Share magical moments this Christmas with this gorgeous gingerbread house. Exclusively available in Brisbane, with FREE delivery in Brisbane Metro areas. Each Christmas Centrepiece is unique and made to order, from $240.
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Cots on Bubhub
Looking to buy a cot or bassinet? :: Cot safety checklist :: Local or online nursery shops
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!