+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No, you weren't in the wrong. What a dreadful situation, it sounds like the whole incident has gone from a tiny thing that needed a simple, quick consequence for the children involved, has blown into a massive issue. Regardless of the child's behaviour yelling at them in front of a class is not appropriate in my book. This whole issue is about bullying and yet the teacher is now the one doing the bullying!

You need to ring the Principal on Monday morning and demand an urgent appointment. To be honest I'd even consider keeping the girls both home til this is sorted, not an ideal thing to do, but it may save them from more stress. If this is how the school deals with a minor teasing issue then that is plain crazy! I seriously doubt this is how it's meant to be dealt with. Meeting with the Principal hopefully will resolve the issue. There may be some parts that have been blown out of proportion/misunderstood/etc and the quicker that can all be sorted out the better for all of you.

I hope it gets sorted quickly and your dd's feel happy about school again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roopee View Post
    While I appreciate the teacher seems to have handled it badly Ihave to ask.

If they weren't sister's and it was a random child teasing your child would you still feel like that random child had been dealt with harshly?
    Yes if the child who was punished for teasing was not doing any teasing yes I would feel it was wrong...Also if it meant that the other child was made to feel alone and like they had no friends I would still feel it was wrong.

If the punishment fits the crime so be it but this punishment did not fit the crime

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I definitely agree the teacher was out of line with the way she treated your daughter/s and that the punishment was unrealistic and out of line.

However. I do believe that the school should deal with any case of bullying, regardless if it between siblings or not. I cant help but wonder how you would feel if the 'bully' was another child (ie not related to you or your daughter). I understand there were other children involved, but from what I gathered they werent punished (which I believe they should have been if they were also being bullies). Surely you would want to see the school act on it? Why should it be any different just because the girls are sisters? I understand it was dealt with at home, but the school has a responsability to enforce their rules etc with regards to bullying as well. In fact Im surprised they took any action at all- many school i know of (from first hand experience) would shrug it off and let someone else deal with it.

Again, I completely agree that it was not handled in the best way to start with and I agree you should put a complaint in against the teacher involved.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Firstly, I know how your kids feel. I had a teacher that singled me out infront of everyone else in the class and went out her way to pick on me and make my life miserable.

She is a bully and is picking on your children.

You are well in your rights to report her. Talk to the principal bout these issues to. Have a meeting with this teacher with the principal present as well. Hopefully if you all sit down together something can be worked out in your favour.

I so hope this situation resolves itself and the teacher gets back into her 'dog box'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I agree she's being ridiculous, but I think instead of just telling your child to disobey a teacher, it'd be a better move to go talk to the principal. If your children don't follow this teacher's rules, then all it's going to look like is them disobeying, and obviously she doesn't care what you say because she made things even worse after you first spoke with her... so go beyond on her and get things sorted out that way.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

mrsd  (18-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think you were wrong. I think the teacher was very unreasonably in her response to the situation and went ott on both incidents

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    I think that op is in an unusual situation. You don't usually see up close the results of the child who gets punished for something involving your child. So I guess asking "what if it was another child who did it" doesn't really apply. I mean you usually only hear your child's and the teachers side of the story and if you do hear the other child's side to the story why would you believe them over your child?? Having both children on opposite sides make things a lot more complicated. DYKWIM??

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As a teacher I'm sitting here laughing my bum off. Not at you or your daughters, just the situation in general.

I've told kids to stay away from their siblings of they are annoying each other but have never forced them apart. They are usually happy to have told an adult and then continue playing near each other.

Is it possible that the teacher was trying to use your daughters as an example of how bullying wouldn't be tolerated? Setting a precedent in the beginning of the year? Personally I think she is way out of line but I'm trying to understand her motives beyond being a complete and utter witch.

The only thing I have a problem with is threatening to report her to the department. I think you should have advised her you would speak to the principal first.

Given the teachers personality there is a possibility that she will flare up at the threat. I've been threatened by a parent with calling the department before. It was all sorted (her daughter confessed to lying) but it does make the relationship with the parent strained. I never allowed it to alter my relationship with my student though. Hopefully Ivy's teacher is professional enough to do the same.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bellalika For This Useful Post:

hopefully2  (18-02-2012),MegaGuts  (17-02-2012),mrsd  (18-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never ever yell at my classes, but I have noticed that when I use my 'stern' voice that is raised in volume - students actually call this 'yelling'. It may be that your daughter was in shock/embarrassed that she wad being spoken to like this, but it may not have been yelling. (I don't get why she needed to talk to ivy though).

I do agree with giving your other daughter some form of punishment-altho not what she received. The bullying stemmed from something she did. And while you dealt with it at home, it was an incident that began at school so they need to deal with that. If this wasn't about your daughter and they ignored it I am sure you wouldn't be happy?!

Do you know with 100% certainty that the other bullies got absolutely no punishment? If they didn't, I agree that is poor. But From what I can tell, the info you have is from your daughters and some of their friends.

I know you are angry, but could I suggest that you try and meet with the teacher in person and try and have a calm conversation about the situation. If you are not happy with how it goes then make a time to see the principal. I think reporting to department of education is completely over the top.

Teaching is a tough (yet rewarding) profession. We do what we think is right at the time. And sometimes we get it wrong. Each and every parent has completely different expectations of what they want from a teacher and honestly it is so hard to please everyone. So if you are unhappy with something, you are much more likely to get change or understanding from a teacher if you don't come in 'attacking' their approach. That will automatically have her being defensive.

But please talk to the teacher. I have one parent who has complained to at least 4 other people (inc yr coordinator, home room teacher and principal!) about how I handled a particular situation last year, but never bothered to actually talk to me and ask me for the reason behind my decision. The above people backed me up, but honestly it was really annoying to hear that someone is happy to bi*ch about me to everyone, but not bother going straight to the source. Every time I get an email or voice message from this mum, I think "urgh..WHAT NOW??". Lol

Just try and Have that calm, rational conversation first and see how you go!!

Good luck!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cellent For This Useful Post:

mrsd  (18-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Woah....sorry that was a bit of an essay!!! Lol

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cellent For This Useful Post:

wiggleit  (18-02-2012)