+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    if we all knew it was 8 hrs then maybe but 22-24 armmmm no way

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    For me, there will be no drugs unless it's essential that I have drugs (perhaps if I require an emergency c-sec, for example).

I couldn't care less about drugs in the "passing onto baby," or whatever way... the effects of that are not that big of a deal to me, personally... but I am not FOR drug use (for myself) because I want to have a vaginal birth after a previous caesarean (VBAC). Drugs will increase my risk of intervention (or vice versa - intervention increase the risk of drug-usage) and lower the chances of me successfully vaginally birthing. Because I want to do that, I am not eager to place barriers in my way in the form of drugs.

I'll also be homebirthing - so I kinda don't have access to drugs. lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As pp have said, only you can make that decision when the time comes, try to do your research too and make an informed decision.

I made an informed decision to have a drug free as possiable birth. it was 7 hours from 1st contraction to him out!

I moved around heaps, even though i had the monitor stuck to me i told the nurse there was no way i was sitting/laying down it hurt too much and i would hold it in place, which i did! (she didnt like, but i think she could tell there was no way i was doing it!)
    when i finally had enough and decided i needed some pain relief they finally got the doc in to check me (nearly2 hours after i had arrived! ) and i was fully dilated, and it was too late

when they finally put me in the birth suit (long story!) , the nurse cheked and DS was about to crown, thats when i told them that i couldnt do it and just to cut me open and suck him out! 1 push later he was born.

Sorry about the essay,! So yeah, do what feels right for you at the time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    For me - drug free.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I tried to due drug free, I told the midwives as soon as my induction started not to offer me anything but if I ask for something I would need it. They were great with my plan although they offered me the gas and so I tried it but it made me sick even though I was doing it properly at the hospital I went to they always start the gas off at the lowest point. 4hrs into labour I then asked for the epi however I got told it was too late so they gave me a peth shot, DS was born just over two hours later. He appeared to suffer no side effects, he completed the breast crawl (can watch videos of babies doing it on you tube) and looked everywhere around the room, he never cried at all until 3 hours later when they gave him his first shots.
    In the last 1/2 hour of his birth I didn't feel any pain and I was telling my OB I didn't even know when to push cause I didn't feel any contractions, I could talk normally etc, it was like the room went really calm, I was calm etc. I only ended up with 3 stitches and didn't feel the tear (very minor though)

It's up to you Hun what way you go and just make sure your middies and OB know what your thoughts are etc.

I wish you all the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Haven't read any responses so sorry if I repeat anyone else's. I was terrified of an epidural and just used gas initially, but my labour was long and I had intense contractions 2mins apart for hours and only got to 3cm. Tried the bath but it made it more painful for me. I was exhausted so had an epi at 3am so I could try to rest. Best thing ever. It sped up my progress and DD was born 5 hours later (I think it was about 36hrs or so from first proper contractions to her arrival).

I would just suggest being aware of your options and pros/cons of each and go in with an open mind.

ETA: I didn't feel doped up or anything from my pain relief. I was walking around the maternity ward all day after she was born! I actually felt great. The stress of the long labour caused me to have a gallstone attack that night, and that plus the morphine they gave me to get me through it (excruciating pain, worse than labour in some ways!) was what knocked me around. I can't see why having an epi would delay your going home unless there were other complications.
    Last edited by Cue; 17-02-2012 at 21:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have birthed both ways.

Yes - the epidural provided instant relief - I could sleep during my labour, relax and just forget about everything. The only problem was that I was numb from my chest, my labour was prolonged, I birthed on my back which resulted in me having an episiotomy, I couldn't get up straight away after birth, and had a catheter bag attached to me, as well as being hooked up to all sorts of tubes.

My second birth was 100% drug free. The only pain relief I used was a wheat bag, and hypnobirthing. I birthed on my knees, I didn't even tear (he was 9lbs), I got up straight away and took a shower, and was even allowed to come home the same day because it was THAT straightforward and uncomplicated (and nothing beats sleeping in your own bed after a hard day of giving birth!) My second birth was absolutely EXHILARATING! I put it down to really practising my hypnobirthing techniques, and things never got too much until I was fully dilated, and even then, it was painful, but I was in total control of the pain. It was extremely intense, but my body just knew what to do, it was a total out of body experience, and I still ride on the amazing high, even more than 7 months on.

It's totally up to you though. My SIL had epidurals for all four of her kids. She got to hospital 9cm dilated for one of her babies, and still demanded the epidural, yet she says all 4 of her births were amazing and positive. Some women have amazing C/Section experiences too. An empowering amazing birth is one where you are in control and your choices are respected, as are you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheCatsMeow For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (18-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm doing heaps of research on different techniques and fingers crossed everything is straight forward for me.

Because my son is 11, it's been a long time since I've had to think about this and it's my DH's first child, so he's so excited but wants me to be a comfortable as possible.

Thank you for your responses, it's given me a lot to think about.