+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a pain relief free labour/birth with my DD 3 years ago and it was 19 hours long and Dr ended up coming in and using the vonteuse (spelling?) and I copped a 2nd degree tear :/ it wasn't too bad though, the tear didn't bother me too much. Sure I was uncomfortable for a couple of days but I don't think it was any worse than women who don't tear (from those I've talked to anyway).

I did try the gas but I hallucinated with it and then had a huge spew (sorry if TMI) after using it so I gave that up real quick

I remember saying afterwards that I'd never go pain free again yet here I am at 36 weeks booked in at the same hospital (low risk, pain relief discouraged) ready to do it again.

Every labour is different. I think you just have to do whatever you feel is going to get both you and bubs through it as calmly and safely as possible. If you're open to having a natural birth with minimal/no pain relief then I think you should try it and if it gets too much you can always ask for pain relief.

Just keep in mind that they might tell you it's too late for some forms of pain relief depending on what stage of labour you're in.....at least that's what my middie said to me when I wanted pain relief.....I think she knew I was so close to the end that she just said that to get me through though and I'm grateful for that as it proved to me that I could do it!

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are induced your contractions are more painful so as I understand it epidurals ae pretty much par for the course. I am not keen on ïntervention cascades" which can result in side effects for bubs and mum, which is why I tend to wards the less drugs option. I have had two bubs, I used very weak gas and air for about 20mins with #1 and none for #2. I tore for both (probably partially my fault with breathing pushing etc) I have a mild fear of tearing even though I healed up well both times! I understand things are pretty painful down there even if you don't tear! You know yourself and should birth accordingly but be aware that you need to have an epidural a good while before the bub is born- make sure you aren't in a position where you decide you want one too late!
    (apologies for burbling, tired, nauseated, pregnant etc!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I personally think you should be open to anything. NO ONE knows exactly how a birth is going to go.
    When i was pregnant with my bubs i always said i was going to try for natural but if it all got too much i wasnt going to try and be super woman.

I ended u having gas and morphine with both kids. First was after 15 hours of labour and i felt i NEEDED it to carry on! Second i was induced and the contractions were alot more intense alot quicker so i was on the gas earlier and had 2 shots of morphine.

Everyone knows their limits and you'll know when it right. Drugs etc are there to help us through so why not use them!! IMO!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi webby, I had to reply as we have a bit in common! My son is 11 and was born when I was 17. I was also induced and were now TTC number 2!

For me, I will go drug free if possible in the future as my body has a high tolerance to analgesics and the epidural didn't work but made me very tired and after 21 hours in hard labour pushing was a nightmare that hurt anyway!

Thanks
    Reviews
    take the drugs before you are exhausted far better to keep on top of the pain and enjoy your labour than wait until it the pain is potentially out of control

Thanks
    Reviews
    try to do it drug free, but it's personally thing if you're really scared just take the drugs like I did. I was booked in for c-section due to complications so I had plenty of time to get nervous and think about it unlike a normal birth!

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I chose to birth drug free, and made this decision prior to going into labour. I agree that you should thoroughly research everything and look into some natural pain relief options if that is the route you wish to take. Warm water and keeping active helped me the most during my labour.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I chose to birth #2&3 drug free for me it was a desire to avoid the cascade of intervention and the increase risks that go along with them. I used gas with DS1 and had an emotionally traumatic birth, I didn't bond with him and I felt quiet violated and had PND. So I chose to homebirth my 2nd an free birth my 3rd (which by default meant no drugs) it was hard but that hardness only lasted for a few hours and it was a great empowering leap into motherhood

I found gentle birth gentle mothering (written by an aussie female gp) brilliant, really helped me focus on why I wanted to have drug free births.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Webby
    I will give you the same advise I gave my sister (she just gave birth to her 1st bubba). Give it a go with no pain relief - you would be surprised what you can accomplish - but everyone and every labour is different. My advise is -

Keep it simple
    Move and keep active during contractions
    Rest inbetween contractions
    Listen to your body
    Do what ever you need to get through the next contraction (wether it be rocking, walking, getting in the bath etc)
    If it gets too much ask for pain releif or an epidural

I have had 4 labours. My first 2 I was confined to the bed (for various reasons). I had pethadine (or morphine - I can't remember) with #1 and it was horrible. I had nothing with #2 and that was even worse. With #3 and 4 I was determine to listen to my body and do what ever I needed to in the moment (so I was open for anything depending on how I coped). I hated the thought of getting in the bath with #3 but rocked and walked (that helped ALOT!!) and had a little gas (and spewed ALOT!!). With #4 I wanted to try the bath and it was AWESOME!! I also moved around and I didn't have any gas and it was my best labour yet. Just goes to prove that all labours are different.

PS - also think about which position you would like to try actually giving birth in. I was on all fours for my last 2 and gravity is certianly a fantastic helper!! Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had 2 babies with epis and one drug free honestly I always wanted to do it drug free but once I did I was like WHY would anyone want this it's was hard work I'm now 33weeks with number 4 and hoping I have time for drugs as my last labour was only 30 minutes I admit I LOVE THE EPIDURAL lol it's my best friend in labour