+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default drugs or no drugs?

Just wondering what people think about the different pain reliefs? And do you think it's better to try naturally as long as possible? Or take the drugs as soon as possible?

My son is now 11... so when I had him I was 17. i had to be induced at 41 weeks, then when the contractions started getting closer (but never massively or overwhelmingly painfull!) I went back to hospital and they gave me pethadine to help me sleep... then a few hours later I had an epidural... and that's it... after that I didn't feel a thing and I didn't tear...

This time, I'm a little more educated on what happens and the choices available etc... I have always said i'll have another epidural because of how great it was last time. but then with reading books and people birth stories, I sometimes wonder if i could do it without any drugs... I would like to try being in a bath, and walking around etc... But I am also scared of the pain and scared of tearing... I'm scared of getting to a point where it's too late to take pain relief if I change my mind....

I would also like to come home as soon as possible after the birth because I hate hospitals and I'd rather be at home getting comfortable with our new addition... obviously coming home is delayed after drugs - especially an epidural...

I'm 24 weeks, so I know I have a while to think about this, but I thought i'd ask peoples opinions, because even though I've done this before, it was so long ago and being 17 I just did what people told me and i didn't really care... Plus I can't remember much about the birth because I was so druged up, I was falling asleep between pushes because I couldn't feel anything and the nurses had to wake me up and tell me when I was having a contraction and tell me to push...

Now I'm older and happily married and this baby was planned, I'd like this experience to be a little more special, but I'm still scared...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Personally, I'd take the drugs! I am terrible with pain, and am happy the make the experience as pain free as possible! I only used gas before I had a spinal/ceaser, so I can't comment on a 'natural birth' but I found gas totally useless.. it just made me trip out and eat chocolate! Good luck with whatever you decide!

DanceInTheRain is offline Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    In my opinion it's a good idea to be well researched and have an open mind- try for natural but if you find you aren't coping and you want pain relief, know which type you want to choose and why.

I had a very long labour with zero drugs, it was painful but I did it. No two births are the same though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I say drugs all the way! I'm too much of a wuss to even consider doing it without an epidural. I am in awe of all women who give birth drug-free, since it's such hard work even with pain relief!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think its best to try for as long as you can to go without drugs, but when you feel you are falling apart, too exhausted, not coping etc then choose the pain relief best for you.

It is important to be well researched in types of pain relief so that you can tell your support person which drugs you are happy to take if need be. For me I was only ok to have an epi IF I was desperate for it. Pethadine has too many side affects for baby for me to be happy with, and I'm too scared of feeling spaced out or sick to accept gas an option for me.

I ended up having two completely drug free labours, first was 36 hrs but second was only 11 hrs. I'm so proud and glad I did it drug free. For *me* it was a mind-over-matter thing, although its different for every mother.

HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As natural, drug/intervention free, is what works for me. I have always gone into labour with an open mind and well educated, I would never rule anything out. But I'm one of those people that believe that this is what my body was made for and I let it do it's thing during labour. I had a well written birth plan specifying what I did and didn't want, I had non natural pain relief written as my last and final choice and to be offered every other natural method first, water, positions, birthing ball etc. I sort of hypnobirthed, I didn't really plan on but I meditated and did prenatal yoga through all of my pregnancies and found a focal point during labour aswell as some relaxing music really helped take my mind off of the pain.

I did have 2 relatively easy labour and births though, my first was 5hours and my second only 20min, had they been longer then my mindset may have changed. Admittingly I did try gas with my first, I had 2 puffs and the next contraction I got was the most awful out of the lot, it probably had nothing to do with the gas but I didn't touch it again.

babalooba is offline Being a brother is better than being a superhero
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post

I would also like to come home as soon as possible after the birth because I hate hospitals and I'd rather be at home getting comfortable with our new addition... obviously coming home is delayed after drugs - especially an epidural...
    I just wanted to add that this is not necessarily the case. I had my son 7 months ago and had an epidural but was still able to go home 6 hours after the birth I think it depends on the hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the best thing you can do is research the different pain relief options, understand the pros and cons of each and have some idea of what you'd choose but go in with an open mind.

Have you considered using a TENS machine? I was induced at 41 weeks, 3 days. I was hooked up to monitors and had the drip in me so made it hard to move around, use water etc. My plan was to just use the TENS machine for as long as possible, I was still open to the idea of having an epidural if I felt like I really wasn't coping. In the end I got to 7cm before my contractions started rolling into one another and I started yelling for an epidural. It was bliss and I definitely don't regret my decision to have one.. especially since DS ended up being 4.45kg..

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I strenuously avoid drugs during pregnancy, so the same goes for me during labour. It's worked for me.

There are a lot of natural pain relief methods out there, so I guess if that is your preference, you can research them, and have them as your first choices while in labour, and if they work great, if they don't, then there are parmaceutical paths to go down.

Kinda like having a list of pain relief options from most preferred, down to least preferred, and hopefully you won't reach down the list to the 'drugs'...

All the best

My list woulda gone:

Relaxation techniques
    Woman to woman support (doula/mw who'd been with me throughout entire pregnancy)
    Walking
    Massage
    Vocalising
    Accupressure
    Birth Pool
    Hot towels

This was as far as I needed to go on my list, but additional options if needed would have been

TENS machine
    Painstop drops/pills
    Homeopathics
    Panadol
    Panadiene
    Gas (NO2)

Not sure what comes after this, but I assume

Epidural
    Morpine and whatnot!!
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 17-02-2012 at 09:27.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

FluffyDucks  (17-02-2012)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, we are very similar; I had my son when I was 17, he's now just turned 12 and I'm expected number two now

I went 5 days over with him and went into spontaneous labour which lasted (from my timing the first contraction to the final push) almost exactly 24 hours.

I actually thought that the contractions, although bearable, were extremely painful from quite early on. At first I just tried different positions then went for a walk to a big park that was opposite the hospital to get things moving.
    I didn't "ask" for any pain relief, being 17 you just wait and do what you're told.. but ended up having the gas (did nothing at all) then pethadine, which I remember made me feel off my face and sleepy. Obviously didn't do much for the pain, because I ended up having an Epidural. Once I had that, I was able to sleep for a while. I dozed on and off until the nurses woke me up to push. By this time, I wasn't feeling "drugged up" anymore; I was still pain free but able to be fully aware and awake for the birth.
    So, in my opinion, the Epidural was the best thing ever. It enabled me to still "feel" the contractions without any pain. I had a chance to sleep.
    For this birth, I'm planning on honestly going as long as I possibly can without any pain relief. But will most likely opt for the Epidural again. Who knows? It might be a really fast birth this time around.. I just can't imagine pushing out the baby being struck with the most intense contraction!