+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Leather lounge + smell?

Hello everyone!
    I've brought a second hand lovely black leather lounge suite it is so so nice!! The only problem is the smell !!! Maybe there was a problem with mice? I don't know but after I go out and have the house locked up the smell just about knocks me for a six!! Sitting on the recliner ATM and feeling ill from the fumes! (like the cats have peed all over it!)
    Any suggestions on how to get rid of the smell? I haven't owned nice leather lounge before and don't want to ruin the leather!!

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app instead of cleaning the house!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would take it back to where you bought it if you can as if it is something inside the couch then it could be costly to fix and fumes making you sick is not good. You could try to wipe it down with mild soapy water and tip the chairs upside down and see if there is any signs of rodent access or stains on the under covering.
    A friend dumped her rather nice couch on my verge for road side collection and that night a truck from a second hand shop came by and took all the furniture from the street including the lounge which was infested with fleas and covered in pee and fur thanks to her tennants..it made me cringe to think they might still try to sell it after "fixing" it up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I brought it privately! A friend of mine, I know it was well looked after, but not used much, was in a back room. So I'm not sure if anything got in it or not.. If I use dishwashing liquid would that be ok? Or jasol?

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app instead of cleaning the house!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have used detergent on mine ,not much just to get that fresh smell really. Test it on an inconspicuous area first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Buy a leather cleaning kit, they are great, you get cleaner, conditioner and ink removal, although black leather would hide more then my beige ones you shouldn't use water on them, you get cloths as well and a stain guide in some kits. I'm needing a new kit actually. You should condition your couch at least 4 times a year. The smell, give Ira gentle vacuum incase it's something jammed into the back or side, If it has a fabric base on the bottom, give it a spray with a "no vac" foam deodorizer
    You can buy leather cleaner buy itself at Coles, and use a micro fiber cloth, not sure if they sell conditioners though

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bronny-jane For This Useful Post:

mylittlefamily  (01-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Give it not give Ira, although she may need one too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bronny-jane View Post
    Buy a leather cleaning kit, they are great, you get cleaner, conditioner and ink removal, although black leather would hide more then my beige ones you shouldn't use water on them, you get cloths as well and a stain guide in some kits. I'm needing a new kit actually. You should condition your couch at least 4 times a year. The smell, give Ira gentle vacuum incase it's something jammed into the back or side, If it has a fabric base on the bottom, give it a spray with a "no vac" foam deodorizer
    You can buy leather cleaner buy itself at Coles, and use a micro fiber cloth, not sure if they sell conditioners though
    I was going to say this as well soap and water may split the leather. You would need a gentle soap and then go over it with just water. My mum conditions and cleans hers a few times a year. She buys stuff from the furniture shop like freedom or domayne.
    Is there a tag somewhere on it - might have how to clean it on there.

Sent from my LG-P920 using BubHub

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mummyrissa For This Useful Post:

mylittlefamily  (01-03-2012)