+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    the first thing you need to do is to stop beating yourself up about it.. and the second thing is you shouldn't be sitting for 2 hours at the table trying to get him to eat - that's crazy and putting way too much stress on you and him about dinner time.

from my personal experience all 2 year olds pretty much refuse to eat their veg. my youngest (2.5) used to love veg till a few months ago but now won't touch it... my 4 year old used to also love them till a few months back but then has weeks where she eats lots of one kind of veg or fruit then hates them..just typical 4 year old.. my 7 year old was a real shocker.. he hated vegies and we've had huge huge battles about it.. the 2 and 4 year old you can't get very firm with as it turns meal times into a battle.. they will eat what they want to - just keep presenting it and if it doesn't get eaten don't stress.. if it's constantly on the plate they will eat it if they are hungry enough. my 7 year old now tries most veg.. I've given him tiny bits over time and picked my battles but now he eats most kinds of vegies but I can negotiate with him a bit. I do give all the kids a multivitamin every day (kids one) and an omgea fish oil one once a week.. as I do worry about them missing vitamins from veg but they eat plenty of dairy, fruit and grains (their not too fussed on meat but we don't eat it very often) and they like fish...

at the end of the day you can't force them and you're only stressing yourself out... at 2 you can't force the old food battle you'll only end up losing. just keep presenting veg on every plate and make sure he sees you eating it as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do this thing with vegetables where I serve them on their own first, when the kids are hungry. They often think that's their entire dinner, lol so they eat them- some of them at least. Once they've had a sufficient amount I serve the meat, pasta etc that I know they will eat.

Of course it doesn't work every single time- you just need to remember that is very normal for toddlers.

And the way you feel is NOT trivial!! Stressing out about not being able to go on a holiday, not being able to afford the latest techno gadget, which nightclub you're to hit up tonight- all the things that consumed my mind at least before I had kids, THAT'S trivial.

Being a parent is the most demanding job in the world and obviously more so doing it alone. You're allowed to stress

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know it can be hard to stand back and watch our kids ignore their veggies (or fruit/dairy whatever it is they refuse to eat) but I will tell you.....all of my five kids are different. They each have their own quirks and some love their veggies and others love their fruit. One of my kids hates cheese and yoghurt (and won't drink much milk either). My kids all recently had a check up at the paeds just for a routine check-up and they are ALL perfectly fine in the nutrition department. All of their calcium levels, iron levels, potassium levels etc are PERFECT!! Including the one child who hasn't touched a veggie (unless I have managed to conceal it really well) in at least 6 months.

Kids' bodies are very efficient at extracting nutrients from their food - probbly even better than adults and what we need to remember is that nature wants them to survive. Unless your child has a condition that limits their absorbtion of certain nutrients, and as long as you are feeding the kids SOMETHING (besides coke or cardboard) then your child is probably just fine. We actually only need most things in trace amounts and in times of reduced intake of certain things our bodies can manufacture most of what our bodies need from the nutrients that our bodies obtain abundantly. It's only when food entirely is scarce or they only eat ONE thing with NO variety whatsoever that we start to see real signs of malnourishment.

Bread actually contains a LOT of dietary vitamins and minerals and is a good food....same with pasta. Meat has a lot of things in it as well and with iron and protein the two things our bodies need a lot of the fact that he's eating meat is a good thing - especially chicken and fish! He is getting his dairy and that will up his intake of a lot of other things as well. Try and add some pureed vegies whenever you can and mix things like pureed apples or bananas into his yoghurt and he will thrive.

We place far to much stress on ourselves at mealtimes when it comes to feeding our kids. Kids have survived on much less than what your son is eating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Triple P course was great. It was hard finding a sitter so I could go, ended up using daycare casual just for the course but soooo worth it!

xx hang in there it gets better xx

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app
    Mum of 4yr boy, nearly 3yr boy & last but not least 5 month girl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I went because my oldest boy was behaving terribly and we were having HUGE sleep issues like yourself. Another friend went because her child had eating issues. They also tackled behavior in shopping centers, mum on the phone & sibling rivalry.

I think it's for ages 3 and up but I found it useful for both my boys aged 2 & 3 last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app
    Mum of 4yr boy, nearly 3yr boy & last but not least 5 month girl.