+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What did you study?

We've recently had a change in circumstances which is likely to give us a bit more financial freedom, allowing me to finally study full time.

The only problem is ... I have no idea what to study!! I've looked through the UAC Guide a bazillion times, and nothing jumps out at me.

The only things I've looked semi-seriously at were Psych or Speech Pathology (I have a thing for helping people, but I'm not good with anything too gory).

Years ago I partially completed two degrees - Criminal Justice and Media Communications, but left both of them as I realized I wasn't interested in either enough to want to spend 4 years thinking about them, let alone the rest of my life.

So my question is ... What did you study (or what are you currently studying)?

What job opportunities have you had (or are you likely to have) as a result of your degree?

How did you choose just one thing to study? Did you just KNOW what was right for you, or did you find it hard to make a decision?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subscribing

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    i dont study, but i wanted to say, i <3 my boys speech path, she is like a part of the family, my first born can talk because of her, i cry at the thought of her retiring.

i wish i was smart enough to study speech path, so rewarding. plus she makes a pretty packet too ($70/half hour!)

sorry thats OT...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So my question is ... What did you study (or what are you currently studying)?
    - I'm currently studying a bachelor degree in Biomedical Science

What job opportunities have you had (or are you likely to have) as a result of your degree?
    - with this degree i can go on to do further study (which is what i want to do to get into research) or I can go into any lab and start work (which after I've done a roll in research I want to go work in IVF)

How did you choose just one thing to study? Did you just KNOW what was right for you, or did you find it hard to make a decision?

- I had a really hard time & sort of still do thinking about the one thing i want to do for the rest of my life, which is mostly why I've chosen to go into research as I can choose topics that I'm interested in. However, I chose to study a science based degree because I love science, biology has always been my favourite subject and I want to help people and I can fulfil both of these in this career

I think you just need to really think about what interests you, what do you love? You need to find something that can hold your interest, or at least find something that can give you a job at the end that will be your dream because sometimes uni degrees have subjects that just seem so ridiculous and pointless, but the end result is worth it!
    Keep us updated Shoopuf, I read your other thread about choosing to move and I think you're doing something amazing for your partner to do this, so it's important now for you to choose something amazing for yourself good luck and happy course hunting

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I did most of a media degree, and all of a law degree and am interested in neither. I'd like to do social work but can't face a pay cut.

My partner is a provisionally registered psych and loves it, but found certain aspects of the degree (eg research and stats) a bit dry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im currently studying early childhood teaching. It's to upgrade my current qualifications and part of my job discription. There is a shortage of uni trained teachers so my director needed me to get my uni training although I had always planed to to do it.

My qualifications will see me be able to work in any child care centre, kindy, preschool as a teacher or director/authorized supervisor how ever I could do that with my current tafe diploma qualifications

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've always wanted to be a teacher or work with kids so was natural to do
    a bachelor of education for me

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh and with my qualification I'l be able to work in child cares and kindys as a qualified teacher, in schools from prep-7 and I can doe extra study to work in special needs
    can also do docs type work

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im studying Midwifery. Direct Entry so not a RN. Nursing, per say, doesn't interest me too much but oh my....I can not WAIT to start my Midwifery degree

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Roopee For This Useful Post:

crunchie  (17-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did a Bachelor of Education because I wanted to be a teacher.

After 6 years I was over it. I am now a part time public servent and SAHM (currently on maternity leave).

I am a bit lost career-wise at the moment.

Hoping for some inspiration.