+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Melbourne Holiday, staying in Preston with 6mth old...any suggestions?

We're heading to Melb for a holiday and looking for suggestions for baby friendly cafes, restaurants and things to do with a 6 mth old

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    any suggestions for Melbourne in general?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi!

We stayed in Melbourne when DD was 6 months and had a lovely time. We have also holidayed there regularly since, it has some lovely spots for kids (but probably more for toddlers).

A few suggestions

- There's a few baby friendly cafes/kiddy activities at DFO Docklands if you feel like a spot of shopping.
    - There's a good website called littlemelbourne.com.au that has things for kids to do that's quite good.
    - From memory Chapel street doesn't have much in the way of baby facilities, one spot to change nappies/feed was the Jam Factory on Chapel st (can't remember if they have a feeding room but it's at least sheltered from weather).
    - Also on Chapel street, the Prahran markets have a little area that's good for young children and a few $2 shop rides to break up a shopping trip. They will also have toilets, not sure about baby facilities.
    - If you are shopping in Melbourne Central (city) it is a pain when feeding/changing. I eventually found poorly signed baby rooms up on the top level in the food court.

As they get older some other good things are:
    - NGV Kids gallery is on the corner of Federation Square, it's good for a 30 - 1hr stop with little kids (free)
    - There is a park at the back of Federation Square, down near the Yarra, can't remember what it's called but it's a good spot for kids of all ages (some bits are a bit big for little kids).
    - The Melbourne Museum is AMAZING for little kids. They have a great indoor museum section, and outdoor play centre (hoola hoops/blocks etc) and all the normal museum stuffed animals etc that our DD loved. They have lots of adult stuff around there as well. The Park out the back of the museum is also great.
    - If you are shopping at Chapel street there is a little kids park out the back of the Coles/Dan Murphy's. My husband and I take turns to shop while DD is at the park! There is a bigger kids park at Fawkner Park off Toorak road but it's a bit of a walk to get there.

I think that's it from me!! Sorry, some of those bottom ones are better for toddlers (can you tell we have spent a while searching kid activities in Melbourne!!) but our first trip when DD was 6 months she generally fit in at any restaurant, it was more baby change rooms/breastfeeding options I was looking for.

I hope this helps!! Have a lovely holiday

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitty10 For This Useful Post:

wigglepuss  (19-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Kitty10, I hadn't even thought about parents rooms! I regularly holiday in Melbourne but this will be the first time with bubs calling the shots eep! Sounds like some great places you've suggested and even if they are more suited to toddlers atleast there will be some family friendly vibes

Thanks
    Reviews
    NO worries! I like to shop in Melbourne so it was a bit of a shock to find that baby rooms where hard to come by!! Ha ha. Have a great trip!

FearlessLeader is online now Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Check out heybambini.com.au for baby friendly cafes. There's a really cute cafe called teatime and tales in rathdowne st Carlton which is super baby friendly,there are baby purees on the menu and the owner will bring you a big glass of water and a BFing pillow if she sees you feeding! There's also lots on the northern suburbs near Preston on the site. In town myer and Melbourne central have good parent's rooms. The west Preston tram isn't very pram friendly so maybe take a sling/ carrier. That tram goes down Brunswick st which has great shopping!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks fearless leader, lots of good info and i'll check out the website. We're hoping to avoid needing a stroller and just use the ergo baby and baby bjorn (depending on who is carrying). Given that the weather forecast looks hot, would bubs be too hot? Quite often Brisbane is too humid to carry bubs but i believe Melbs is a dry heat......

FearlessLeader is online now Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wigglepuss View Post
    Thanks fearless leader, lots of good info and i'll check out the website. We're hoping to avoid needing a stroller and just use the ergo baby and baby bjorn (depending on who is carrying). Given that the weather forecast looks hot, would bubs be too hot? Quite often Brisbane is too humid to carry bubs but i believe Melbs is a dry heat......
    When are you coming? We've been having some fairly humid weather here lately. Have you tried a breeze baby sling? We used one to hip-carry DS (9 months at the time) in Thailand in very hot humid weather and it was nice and cool. Would be worth looking into as it sounds like you would use it back home as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    When are you coming? We've been having some fairly humid weather here lately. Have you tried a breeze baby sling? We used one to hip-carry DS (9 months at the time) in Thailand in very hot humid weather and it was nice and cool. Would be worth looking into as it sounds like you would use it back home as well.
    FL I Love ya but by god it's been freezing for this nth qld
    Girl :P
    I mean it's meant to be summer so why am I shivering with a jumper on.
    Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Since you are staying out in Preston I would recommend the Preston markets, CERES and children's farm in abbotsford too.

Personally I wouldn't travel without a stroller - then you can be out and about and baby can sleep/rest/eat/play in stroller without you having to carry around all day.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannahly For This Useful Post:

wigglepuss  (20-02-2012)