+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default When did your child start talking?

So, my DD is 19 months now.

She says a few words, such as: Daddy, Mum mum, Dog and cat (having said that, any animals are Bubba at the moment), Bubba, Bird, Hat, Please (Tees), Cheese (also Tees). and no, of course. Also Nanna and what DF thinks is Mine (although no idea where she got that from).

She understands most commands, if she isn't distracted or ignoring me. She nods and shakes her head and seems to do that correctly.

I'm a little concerned about her lack of speech. She says Hi, but not Bye (she waves). All kids I know aside from a select few that are her age speak heaps more.

Is this normal?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that sounds totally normal and great!

My DS is 18 months and says the same stuff - Mumma, Daddy, dog, oof (woof), cheese, juice, bye, nanna, flies, etc.

He waves and says bye. He's only just started doing 2-syllable words (nanna, daddy, etc). Attempting to link 2 words together like saying "oof stairs" when we want the dog to go downstairs, lol.

Apart from that he's an active toddler, he eats, poops, runs around, watches tv, sings in his own language, and laughs when he farts. He's just a kid, and I don't expect anything else of him. He'l learn to talk more in his own time, and by then I'll be telling him to stop talking!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow I would be really happy with that. My dd is almost 18months and only says mum, dada, hat, hi, and lots of her own language which we don't understand. She sometimes does the e-i e-i o in old McDonald had a farm.
    It concerns me that she doesn't say that much yet but lots of people assure me it's normal

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 14 months and says about 6 words (mum, dad, hi, bye, ball, nana). Some babies her age say a lot more but the health nurse said it's normal for babies between 12-18 months to only say about 6 words. She also said a baby has to hear a word 6000 times to be able to say it!! Your baby sounds like they're doing just great

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep, very normal. About 6 words at 18 months is normal. What you'll notice in the next 6 or so months is a sudden explosion in language. Within a few months you'll probably have trouble counting the number of words your dd says

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissWinter View Post
    So, my DD is 19 months now.

She says a few words, such as: Daddy, Mum mum, Dog and cat (having said that, any animals are Bubba at the moment), Bubba, Bird, Hat, Please (Tees), Cheese (also Tees). and no, of course. Also Nanna and what DF thinks is Mine (although no idea where she got that from).

She understands most commands, if she isn't distracted or ignoring me. She nods and shakes her head and seems to do that correctly.

I'm a little concerned about her lack of speech. She says Hi, but not Bye (she waves). All kids I know aside from a select few that are her age speak heaps more.

Is this normal?
    Our first talked very early on and had a large vocabulary by 19 months, but our youngest who is almost 19 months maybe says 10 words. I think kids just develop at different rates. The important thing is probably her understanding what you are saying, rather than her speech. See your GP & get her ears tested out in case though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS is almost 2 and only has 4 obvious words, the rest is his own language.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    13 words at 12 months. She's 18 months now had has a vocab of about 30 words can sing, dance and can count to 10! My favorite phrase from her is "Oh...my...God..." And when she crosses her arms, nods her head with a cheeky smirk and says "Oh yeah....."

Every child is different and develops at their own pace. Enjoy!
    Last edited by ThreePeasPlease; 16-02-2012 at 17:01.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Until 20 months DS had no words. None. Then one day he started talking and now at 24 months I couldn't even count his words. Today we had a storm and he said: 'storm! Thunder! Hail? No hail.' WTF, there's not been a storm in months, he must have been storing up words well before he could speak.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS said his first word 'hello' at 8 months, strangely with a British accent. But he is now 27 months and has 4 words and occasion babbling. Getting assessed atm