+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Funny story.. but now worried about explaining breastfeeding and birth..

DP and I booked into our hospital the other day. We had DS with us and was left in a room to fill out some paperwork. Anyway there was a top down picture of a woman breastfeeding a baby- as if you were looking down at your baby.

DS exclaims "look Mummy that baby is eating a belly button", DP and I looked at each other and nearly cracked up.

Now I'm worried about explaining these things to him and I'm just the tiniest bit scared he will want to have a go at BF'ing if I do with DD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just explain that it's a special food that's only for babies, and that he used to have some when *he* was a baby (don't know if you bf him...but even if it was just a few times then you're not lying :P) but now he needs to leave it for the new baby.
    Maybe have some healthy ish cookies that he can occasionally have during feeds when he's acting jealous? (especially if you're making lactation cookies for yourself anyway :-) )

But how cute! Eating a belly button :P

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalf For This Useful Post:

MumDadBoyandGirl  (16-02-2012)

drewid is offline Meet the amazing boy who falls asleep with a sandwich in his mouth!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Don't be worried! It's all very normal, just explain that your body makes a special food for the baby to grow, until baby is big enough to eat proper food. He'll probably role play from watching you, even my 6yo liked to sit down and pretend to feed his stuffed dog occasionally!

I found it a wonderful thing to be able to share with my 6yo, it has been so normalised for him now and he is in awe if he sees anyone else doing it now, in real life or on tv. I figure I'm helping the next generation of young men to see it as completely normal for breasts to be used for food!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to drewid For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Some mums will actually tandem nurse for a while with an older child if they become re(interested) in the breast after the birth of a new sibling, it's not uncommon. Most of the time the older child may just 'try it out' and then figure it is no big deal, or many never are interested at all.

I was still feeeding through my pregancy, so when the new baby came, I
    tandem fed for quite a long period.

All the best, don't stress about it!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (16-02-2012),mrswhitehouse  (16-02-2012),MumDadBoyandGirl  (16-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had to explain breastfeeding to my DD as she has never really seen it!! I breastfed her but no one has had any babies recently for her to become accustomed to it. I just explained that when mummy has the baby that I have special milk in my breasts for the baby. We then looked at some pics of puppies and kittens feeding. Then when she was comfortable with that I showed her pics of people breastfeeding. We just talk about it daily and now she is quite prepared for how it will look and why we do it

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ktfierce For This Useful Post:

BorrisWombatWife  (16-02-2012),MumDadBoyandGirl  (16-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was worried about that with DD who was 2 1/2 when DS was born. She was somewhat fascinated "why is the baby eating your boobies off?", but that was it. She was more fascinated about the breast pump, and was constantly trying to get it off the bench so she could "squeeze her boobies" too.
    DD pretended to BF her dolly, and now that we are FFing, she gives her dolly a bottle when her brother gets one.

With birth, we told DD where babies come from, as I believe that honesty is the best policy. She proudly told my midwife at the top of her lungs "baby brother comes from the 'gina!"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was worried about how my 2 year old ds1 would react when seeing me breast feed too. For the first few days he seemed oblivious but now he likes to sit next to me and hold his brothers hand while he feeds. He asked me "is my brother drinking your boobies"??
    I replied "yes huni, that's where he gets his milk from".
    He thought about it for a moment then asked "like Daisy"?? (the cow he milked at a farm barn we visited for his birthday!!! Lol

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TheseBoysMumma For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    DS was very dissapointed when he wanted to feed DD and I told him that only Mummies can make milk for babies. He even had a little cry. He's had a go at feeding his teddy and dolly a few times.

My suggestion would be to buy a story book that you can read to you LO about a mummy having a baby and bf'ing the baby. "The New Baby" book tells the story of a Mummy who is pregnant, the grandparents come and look after the children whilst she goes to hospital and has the baby and has a lovely picture of her bf'ing the baby as part of the story.
    http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-First-.../dp/0794510035