+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody1982 View Post
    If the company is abiding by the law it's actually an $18.91 per hour rate, plus $2.60 per delivery to cover the fuel. How can a business operate delivering a $25 order on a weekend and paying someone $40 an hour to do it?
    So on those figures to get to $40 an hour they are doing 8-10 $25 orders an hour?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think unqualified should get $20 per hour, qualified $26 - $28 an hour, and directors $35 per hour. All as a minimum.

That is how much we pay the staff at DS's centre

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When I qualified as a midwife I had a university degree, neonatal icu certificate and a diploma in midwifery. I was getting 25 dollars an hour. The only way to make decent money is by doing nights and weekends, or in my case I did agency and got paid well

I think it's disgusting how poorly paid cc workers and nurses, teachers get paid. Hairdressers are very poorly paid as well. No wonder the retention rates are so poor for these professions. Our problem as nurses and Mws is our union. The police had a strong union and recently got a substantial payrise. Still not enough IMO, but they got what they asked for. I dont know the answer really? Maybe some of these high flying politicians could try and work in these poorly paid professions and see for themselves just how hard it is

Bfp!!! Little bug due 25/6/12

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Zipper View Post
    I think unqualified should get $20 per hour, qualified $26 - $28 an hour, and directors $35 per hour. All as a minimum.

That is how much we pay the staff at DS's centre
    How much does that work out annually? I'm so useless at hourly wages.

It's such a vexed question. I'd adore for DD's carers to paid truckloads of money, but how would that work with a daycare and pre school system? I guess it works somewhat in private schools because they can charge the actual cost of schooling and more, but I suspect if centres tried that they would be lynched.

Without major investment and making centres public it is virtually impossible for the Govt to do much. Making them public sounds attractive but daycare centres are money pits and government tend to be fairly useless when it comes to running things effectively without money disappearing into the abyss that is bureaucracy, so what is the answer?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I fully qualified educator is on roughly 22/hour permanent, or just under 25/hour casual.

Our trainees are on as little as 6.90/hour. We had one who had to leave and now works at Cash Converters. She couldn't earn enough to cover her share of the rent, transport to and from work, pay her share of thebills,and have enough to eat. She was fun, energetic, hard working, great with the kids, but couldn't afford to work there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know how things are set up in other daycare centers, but at dd's old centre, in the 3 and 4yo rooms they had a qualified kinder teacher and a qualified assistant, both working full time. I would have thought a fair amount would be the kinder teacher on about $55k - $85k depending on years experience and the assistant on $45 - $60k depending on years experience.

Like Benji, I was always shocked that these amazing individuals who contributed so much to my and dd's lives were remunerated so poorly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a casual Childcare worker and am classed as unqualified...
    To be an unqualified Childcare worker I quit a full time job to study full time for 1 year. I am now paid $27 an hour and I think that's a pretty good wage although I only work about 15 hours a fortnight.

In comparison my husband is a chef and is paid $25 an hour after a 4 year apprenticeship and 6 years working as a qualified chef..

I am currently studying my bachelor of early childhood education and it will take me 4 years from start to finish so I'd hope at the end of it that I'll be earning at least $55k, that wage would make an incredible difference to our family, we'd go from $55k a year to $100k..

I'm all for good pay for Childcare educators, especially fully trained ones as I'll be one :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe if the overall cost of living dropped it would be fine. At the moment it reflects a double income where each person is on 65k+ which means singles in nursing, cc, aged care, and disabilities are really suffering. The staff turnover is rediculous, but that's because they need to live so take on a higher paying job instead of a low paying that they love and would prefer to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Well I got over $20 for working at Maccas (per hour)... so anything less than that kinda sucks for anyone IMO as McDonalds isn't a high-risk, high-skilled job... lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerilee View Post
    $20 p/h qualified Oh dear One day there will hardly be any carers left as they can not afford to work for that amount and live as well. There are staff shortages now in childcare. The decent carers are finding they can get more money elsewhere. It is sad! We need to make sure we keep the great workers there! The best way to do that is by paying them well!

I used to work in child care ( over 7 years ago now). I got about $17 p/h and I was trained.

I now work in admin and good deal more.

I don't have to put up with people who think all we do is babysit and aren't worth much. I don't have to buy resources for the children out of my own pocket. I don't have to take work home to do as I am not given non contact time. I don't have to put up with getting sick all the time! I don't have to finance gifts for parents on special events out of my own pocket.

I could not afford to do the above and have my own children at the same time.

Do I want to stay in admin forever, no, but I am finding it so much better than child care. I am studying at uni now, as well as working and mothering.
    one girl at my work has finished a uni degree and is trained as a teacher for babies - year 3 and she earns less then a diploma trained teacher at daycare atm as she is only 1 year out of uni which is completely ridiculous she has more of a "responsibility" as the room work and the school readiness falls onto her as she is the trained teacher but when ppl say i must work in CC for the money i could near pis$ my pants laughing at them

O
    f course they should, I might go back if they did! IMO child care workers work just as hard (if not harder) than teachers, except they work 8.5 hour shifts with 1 hour and 15 minutes break a day, 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year. For what $23 an hour, they look after 4 babies or 5 toddlers or 10 three year olds, do you know how much patients and skill that requires? And it's not just "looking after them" they have to hope to god they get there non-contact time (uninterrupted) to that they can program individually for every single child they look after (which could be up to 35 different children). It isn't a job people do for money and it's hard demanding more often then not thankless work. When I left I was getting around $17 a day after 7 years experience (had my cert 3) I went and drove a forklift for $21 an hour andI didn't have to wipe poopy bums or try to get a bunch of fussy toddlers fed, teeth brushed, pottied and asleep in an hour (yes I mighty proud that I could!). Anyhoo I'm ranting a bit here and the baby is awake [/QUOTE]

DITTO not to mention sometimes having to skip lunch as the kids were having a rough day , having to hold your pee for hours , being pooed on , weed on , spat at , kicked or bitten