+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think about $20 an hour is reasonable.
    I understand people want wages for teachers etc to increase but their wages don't seem too bad to me. I was on 45k as a junior doctor and now 6 years out I'm on about $80k. But of course nobody jumps up and down for pay rises for doctors (but that's because we all drive ferraris of course lol). Most of the nurses earnt more than me despite me having all the responsibility if the s**t hit the fan.

I mean, who is going to pay for the huge pay rises? The taxpayers. Then everyone will whinge about that. Or how about big pay rises for CC workers? We will pay via the CC fees. And that means CC will be even more unaffordable.
    $20 an hour for a tafe qualified worker seems fine to me.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    dr's should definitely be high earners.

but drs couldnt be drs without teachers. just sayin

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    dr's should definitely be high earners.

but drs couldnt be drs without teachers. just sayin
    Too true!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Very true! But I wasn't complaining about my wage or saying I should earn more, just using it as a comparison to teachers, nurses and CC workers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    $20 p/h qualified Oh dear One day there will hardly be any carers left as they can not afford to work for that amount and live as well. There are staff shortages now in childcare. The decent carers are finding they can get more money elsewhere. It is sad! We need to make sure we keep the great workers there! The best way to do that is by paying them well!

I used to work in child care ( over 7 years ago now). I got about $17 p/h and I was trained.

I now work in admin and good deal more.

I don't have to put up with people who think all we do is babysit and aren't worth much. I don't have to buy resources for the children out of my own pocket. I don't have to take work home to do as I am not given non contact time. I don't have to put up with getting sick all the time! I don't have to finance gifts for parents on special events out of my own pocket.

I could not afford to do the above and have my own children at the same time.

Do I want to stay in admin forever, no, but I am finding it so much better than child care. I am studying at uni now, as well as working and mothering.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In the centre where my friend is a director most of the fees end up as profit for the owner.

I think they should be govt run at no profit with all the fees going to the workers and paying for costs. The workers would get paid more and there would be no rise in fees for the parents. The extra pay comes from the removal of the profit for owner layer.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    Very true! But I wasn't complaining about my wage or saying I should earn more, just using it as a comparison to teachers, nurses and CC workers.

im saying you should get more, countless yrs at uni n all the rest, 80 grand after years of work helping people and saving peoples lives!...is pretty pityful,

especially considering that businessman probably buy pieces of art to hang in their homes that are worth more than what my husband earns in a year teaching his children...its pretty bullshiz.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got $20.50 an hour working in daycare when I wasnt trained, after I was qualified this went up to $23 an hour.. Hardly worth the 2 years training.

Parents were paying $60 a day from 9-3 but I have heard this just went up to $78.
    Those that had kids in 7.45 till 5.30 paid $72, they now pay $95.

I think carers should get $25 an hour.I also think we should get more 'proper' breaks. I never used to get a proper lunch/morning tea break as we had to eat with the children and make sure everyone was eating nicely. Anyone who has tried eating whilst watching 20 3 year olds knows you arent going to get much lunch in you. You end up shoveling quarter of a sandwich down whilst running to stop someone tipping a drink over another kids head, wiping snot from half of their noses and trying to stop WW3 kicking off.

Carers are on their feet running round for the majority of time they are there, its honestly like going the gym 9 hours a day.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by GothChick View Post
    Anyone who has tried eating whilst watching 20 3 year olds knows you arent going to get much lunch in you. You end up shoveling quarter of a sandwich down whilst running to stop someone tipping a drink over another kids head, wiping snot from half of their noses and trying to stop WW3 kicking off.

Carers are on their feet running round for the majority of time they are there, its honestly like going the gym 9 hours a day.
    You forgot washing your hands 50 million times

Of course they should, I might go back if they did! IMO child care workers work just as hard (if not harder) than teachers, except they work 8.5 hour shifts with 1 hour and 15 minutes break a day, 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year. For what $23 an hour, they look after 4 babies or 5 toddlers or 10 three year olds, do you know how much patients and skill that requires? And it's not just "looking after them" they have to hope to god they get there non-contact time (uninterrupted) to that they can program individually for every single child they look after (which could be up to 35 different children). It isn't a job people do for money and it's hard demanding more often then not thankless work. When I left I was getting around $17 a day after 7 years experience (had my cert 3) I went and drove a forklift for $21 an hour andI didn't have to wipe poopy bums or try to get a bunch of fussy toddlers fed, teeth brushed, pottied and asleep in an hour (yes I mighty proud that I could!). Anyhoo I'm ranting a bit here and the baby is awake

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I worked in childcare (1.5 years ago), as a Cert III qualified assistant, after tax I'd get about $400-$450 a week. I worked my butt off for that, and it was easily $100 less than what I got paid when I was working full time sitting in the drive thru window at McDonalds.
    I loved my job, but the pay was terrible.