+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think the standard or minimum wage should be determined by the type of care and training undertaken prior. For example, if the carer was someone who had a degree in early childhood education, and wrote programs, had some child psychology training, discipline methods training etc, then the wage should be akin to a teacher at the same level. For example the director of a childcare that runs kindy programs etc probably has a master of education should be paid the same as a teacher with a director position and masters - in Victoria I believe that is $85,000 - 95,000 pa. Classroom teachers (with a degree get somewhere between $60,000 - $85,000).

To run a family day care, and correct me if I'm wrong, you require a certificate lll or lV in childcare an insurance? My thoughts are this should be equivalent to around $45,000-$55,000 salary (I.e. paid leave, 37.5 hour a week) - so that figures at about $23 - $27 an hour. Probably it differs everywhere but I thought a FDC could have max 7 children, including their own, but only max 4 under school age - at $6 an hour that is $24 school hours and $42 after school hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mumma2ajem View Post
    well a trainee working 40 hours per week is on anywhere between $250-$400 ish depending on age and how long out of school and for a cert 3 trained childcare worker working 40 hours a week anywhere between $550-$700 BEFORE tax
    Well that's ridiculous. No wonder cc are short staffed. But I also think they need to be more qualified. I am reluctant to put my dd in cc more than the minimal time as I'm more qualified than all the staff there put together. Nothing against them personally but would we let our children be taught at school by TAFE qualified teachers? Most secondary teachers I know are either starting or finishing their masters to keep or find jobs.

But if we expect more tertiary educated staff in cc and higher paid teachers then we need to also expect to pay more taxes. I'm ok with that but is everyone else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Gosh at the childcare centres I have seen you are lucky for them to have reasonsable TAFE training, yet alone a masters degree!

FWIW IMO teachers wages are pretty crap too. Teachers wages currently start at about $44k and go to a max of $85k without taking on additional duties, in NSW. Most other states spend their time trying to catch up with NSW salaries.
    Does that mean at childcare centres getting subsidized kindergarten programs the program is being run by non-educated 'teachers' - that would annoy me.

I got the salaries from here http://www.eduweb.vic.gov.au/edulibr...lary_rates.pdf. TBH I was pleasantly surprised the wages too as I thought they seemed good.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i would think at least $20/hr, as thats what you'd make waitressing with no training/study.
    i actually left teaching as i made double my salary in hospitality/events management.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Woody1982; 07-08-2012 at 15:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody1982 View Post
    Pizza delivery drivers get paid more to look after your dinner vs your children. And in 2 years if gillard gets reelected they'll be earning over $40 an hour weekends and after 9pm. This country is completely upside down.
    How much do I get paid if I deliver pizzas now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    They should definitely get more than they do now. Pay the teachers (inc pre-school) and nurses more I say!! We can't live without these people and their salaries are a disgrace.
    Maybe this thread should go to Ted Ballieu as he has huge issues with all his employees

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ohdear For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (16-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If the company is abiding by the law it's actually an $18.91 per hour rate, plus $2.60 per delivery to cover the fuel. How can a business operate delivering a $25 order on a weekend and paying someone $40 an hour to do it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    paid per a delivery and have to use their own vehicles/petrol.
    Yes this is what happens

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    OP, people feel the same about teachers.

my husband is a high school teacher in a private school and is getting paid the same salary as my bil who is a spare parts delivery driver...

its a huge croc of shiz, but apparently because "teachers get holidays" its okay to pay them crap. even tho holidays are spent, marking, lesson planning and all the rest.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (16-02-2012),Benji  (16-02-2012)