+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default *sort of spinoff* what do you think is a fair wage for childcare workers?

So a sort of spinoff-prompted by the childcare thread , and the comments of a daycare client- who complained that fees have increased 10c an hour to $6.60 per hour. $5.90 of which goes to the carer. (FDC). Apparently we just babysit and get plenty

So what do parents feel is a fair wage that would also help to attract more quality carers to work, thus increasing daycare availability too?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I can't put a number on it but I think it's a sad world we live in when we won't pay people properly who care for and nurture not only our children, but our elderly and sick (nurses). It's a messed up world.

I have nothing but respect for the workers who cared for my DS for two years while I worked. If it weren't for them I wouldn't have been able to earn my wage. They were nothing short of outstanding and I can think of nothing worse than them suffering financially while playing such a huge role in my life.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (16-02-2012),Berrie  (16-02-2012),MilkiCuddles  (16-02-2012),onedayatatime  (16-02-2012),Von Zipper  (16-02-2012),wigglepuss  (16-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I can't put a number on it but I think it's a sad world we live in when we won't pay people properly who care for and nurture not only our children, but our elderly and sick (nurses). It's a messed up world.

I have nothing but respect for the workers who cared for my DS for two years while I worked. If it weren't for them I wouldn't have been able to earn my wage. They were nothing short of outstanding and I can think of nothing worse than them suffering financially while playing such a huge role in my life.
    Very well said.

I completely agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your right- it extends into aged care too. I think the loss of the village dynamic plays a huge part in undervaluing our kids and the elderly.daycare wether FDC or centre care is a huge job planning for each child's learning and abilities. I wonder how we can fix the problem and encourage more staff- thus creating more vacancies?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Whilst we all appreaciate the effort early childhood carers make in their day I still don't know how much they get paid an hour.

Per day I was expecting to pay 70-80 without a rebate as I wasnt sure what I was eligible for in regards to CCB and CCR. To find out that I'm actually only paying 25 a day after CCB and CCR seems fabulous.

I would be willing to pay up to 60 a day after rebates for quality child care. After all school fees are more and the work carers do is often underrated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i would earn more working full time at maccas then working full time in a center , i always get told oh you have a easy awesome job go to work paint , play with play dough and watch kids sleep i wish i had your job instead of mine
    ( once this come from a acquaintance who sits in a small office from 9-5 and only takes calls, books appts and takes msgs no book keeping admin stuff etc) some days id be happy to swap jobs with her everything in CC is all paperwork paper work paper work and bluntly it sucks and all the rules and regulations ppl do not understand what we deal with every day we are responsible for the early learning of another generation and quite often we build their learning skills for life and what do we get a mountain of paper work and a kick in face of a paycheck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Mummy View Post
    Whilst we all appreaciate the effort early childhood carers make in their day I still don't know how much they get paid an hour.

Per day I was expecting to pay 70-80 without a rebate as I wasnt sure what I was eligible for in regards to CCB and CCR. To find out that I'm actually only paying 25 a day after CCB and CCR seems fabulous.

I would be willing to pay up to 60 a day after rebates for quality child care. After all school fees are more and the work carers do is often underrated.
    well a trainee working 40 hours per week is on anywhere between $250-$400 ish depending on age and how long out of school and for a cert 3 trained childcare worker working 40 hours a week anywhere between $550-$700 BEFORE tax

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with Benji, I think child care workers should be paid well, they do a job that realistically, most of us wouldn't do. I know I wouldn't anyway. We are trusting them with our most precious little people and they should be paid accordingly. Financial advisors and accountants get paid more to look after our money!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think school teachers need to be paid more also.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (16-02-2012),Zombie_eyes  (16-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    They should definitely get more than they do now. Pay the teachers (inc pre-school) and nurses more I say!! We can't live without these people and their salaries are a disgrace.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (16-02-2012)