+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I gave one to ds as soon as I got home from hospital. My nipples where so damaged and he was so unsettled. It helped heaps and had no troubles breast feeding. I only gave it to him for sleeping. It became a pain when he got a bit older and he started knocking it out during the night and started waking up coz he couldn't find it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tazzy For This Useful Post:

magic star  (18-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks ladies...

Did any of your bubs lose enthusiasm to feed after it introduced later than at birth?

I've talked it over with DP and he's concerned about bub not eating as regularly as she should (should we give her one). At the moment she's eating anywhere between 2-4hrs with the longest being 5hrs (last night) between feeds. Our main concern is that she'd get satisfaction from the sucking on the dummy and 'forget' to feed... Is this a likely thing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Believe me, no baby forgets to feed. If they are hungry they will let you know!! lol! There is a lot of debate about dummies causing nipple confusion, though I'm yet to see hard core proof for this (and anyone is more than welcome to show me evidence proving this!). Breastfeeding is a skill both baby and mother need to learn, and the first six weeks and beyond are integral for this, so you've done really well OP, to come this far!!

Feeding so frequently is extremely normal, and you're really lucky to get a 5 hour stretch in the night! No dummy will stop her from screaming if she wants a feed though

I introduced the dummy at 1 week for both my babies, and they are both boobie monsters! No nipple confusion here. I would always feed them first, and give them a dummy after I knew they had been well fed. The only problem with the dummy is that my daughter is now 2 years old and totally dependent on it at night which I find is a bigger worry than a newborn having it!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TheCatsMeow For This Useful Post:

magic star  (18-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little one was Prem and tube fed for first 2 weeks. She had a dummy from 1 week old - as mentioned before its recommended by NICU nurses as it encourages the sucking reflex - she had no problems with breast/nipple/bottle/dummy confusion and went on to BF for three months after being released from hospital. However since bringing her home we only ever give it to her at sleep time! And I been told by DDs pediatrician that babies will not starve themselves, when they are hungry they will feed, so you shouldn't worry too much in that respect

7. The Following User Says Thank You to eviezmum For This Useful Post:

magic star  (18-02-2012)