+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default hand/ finger sucking

I am just wondering what ppl think about this. Bub is 9 weeks and I am breastfeeding and lately have found that bub won't do the typical 'feed to sleep'. I am low in the evenings but still must keep her happy as she doesnt cry or fuss. So it gets to the point where she's sort of asleep nursing so I put her on my shoulder for a burp then put her in bed.

She then sucks her fingers and hand and wriggles about for a while. I think maybe she might grizzle and I'll have to feed her again but I go back in some time later and shes asleep.

My question is, if she's sucking her hands, should I feed her more or as she doesn't cry, is she full? Sounds like a silly question but she's so different to the other bubs. She gets right into the sucking and makes little noises but seems happy enough?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Babies love to explore I wouldn't necessarily think finger or hand sucking indicted hunger. If she had a good feed and does it don't worry at all!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laurenk For This Useful Post:

Little_P  (17-02-2012),lovesushi  (20-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD sucked her hands and went to sleep the other morning after a feed, after being wide awake when being placed in her cot. The first time ever, so don't stress over it. If she wanted more food she would have asked for it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MunchkinsMum1 For This Useful Post:

Little_P  (17-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD does this also, she is still only a few weeks old and it seems to settle her a little, athough I do generally feed her to sleep. From what I have read it appears to be a sign of tiredness rather than of hunger... or at least thats how it seems to be with my little one! If it works, I'd be inclined to leave her be

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellies Mum For This Useful Post:

Little_P  (17-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was practically never without her fingers in her mouth from the age of 12 weeks til 6 months (see my profile photo, lol). Sounds pretty normal, and if she's happily taking herself off to sleep, count your blessings - most mums dream of a baby who self settles

9. The Following User Says Thank You to meatpopsicle For This Useful Post:

Little_P  (17-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Bubs would cry or grizzle if still hungry...my 5.5mth DS has his hands in his mouth ALL the time and has for ages!!

It's apparently completely normal as they explore and discover their hands at this young age. Soon it will be their feet and yes can also be a tired sign.

If this is helping bubs go to sleep easily this early then consider yourself very lucky

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

Little_P  (17-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, i kind of felt she would cry if hungry - just totally different from the other children as babies. I think I just couldn't believe it that she was 'self settling'. It is pretty awesome that she's doing it. I think it might be tiredness too as I have noticed her doing it a bit in the daytime now and I try to feed her and she may spit it up or eyes roll back as soon as she's on. Thanks for the reassurance