+ Reply to Thread
    Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default baby monitors

looking for recommendations please.
    we want:
    - video
    - 2 way sound (so i can talk back)
    - at least 50m reach
    - visual sound (so i can put it on silent, but dd calling out will still register on the screen)

what else is useful?
    any suggestions?

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds like the Omicron Secure700 fits the bill for everything you've listed.
    I haven't owned one myself but I had the 100 which is a non-video version that's very similar and I LOVED it. Very clear, no interference, ability to set lullabies to play without having to walk into the room... I will absolutely get the Secure700 for my next bub without hesitation if it's even HALF as good as the 100. Mostly because I want the video as well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We've got an Oricom 700 video monitor. It has everything you are after, with a 150m range (though I haven't tested that!).

The night vision isn't fantastic, but you can see clearly. I'm not sure how it compares to other video monitors.

We paid $200 for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The uniden babywatch does most of those things. I just ordered one through a rewards program (yay free baby stuff) because it had video, two way, and could be put on 'silent' so that I can still see bub and DH can sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have the oricom sc700 and I love it. Don't know how we survived with a normal audio only monitor before!

I have a couple of issues with it - when the volume is at the loudest sometimes I don't hear it in a mildly noisy room (eg. 5yo playing & tv on). Mind you, my bubs is often quite quiet til she gets really upset . The other issue is that there's no way the distance is 150m and I'm not sure it's 50m. I lose connection with it when I'm outside, probably at about 30 - 40m away from the monitor. But that's with our house in the way (long narrow house) and lots of electrical stuff to reduce the signal (I suppose that's why). It hasn't been a major issue for us though, but I can imagine if you *need* a 50m range and it doesn't do that then it could be a problem.

I got my Mum a monitor from Target that was recently on special for half price at $120. Seemed like a good deal. It's ok, but nowhere near as good as the Oricom. The volume is even quieter, the camera is not easily positionable (it likes to tilt down as it's got a power lead with an adapter thing on the lead and so it drags the camera down - hard to explain). But, for $120 it was a bargain. Oh and the microwave interferes with it, not sure if it's a microwave or monitor issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What about the angel care one? Has motion, video, 2 way talk etc. it's pricey, bout $400 from David Jones n Baby Kingdom. I'm considering it but wondering if I'm being OTT.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    im not worried about the motion, as dd is nearly 2yo, but i want to be able to call out to her in her room and not wake the baby!
    ill look up the oricom 700!