+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Best Internet security / virus protection

I just got a new laptop with 30 day free norton. It's about to expire. I do Internet banking so I'm searching for a new and up to date virus protection.

What the best virus protection out there?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We use bullgaurd. Its great never had a problem with it. A1yr subscription is $89.95 and that's for upto 3 comp or it's $79.95 for 1 comp

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't buy Norton, what ever you do. It sucks, hogs the computer's resources.

I use Avast, its free and I have never ever got a virus, if the site is even suspect it pops up warning me. I do internet banking everyday. Any Avast updates itself everytime you connect to the net.

http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-...=dl&tag=button

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    when i bought my computer i had the 1 month free norton virus thing too but when it ran out we forgot to put virus protection on there and i think about a month later my computer completly shut down, on the screen it had red background and big black writing on it (forgot what it said now)

we had to take it to the computer store to get it fixed (you couldnt even turn it off) $190 later and its fixed. it had thousands of viruses. trojans, spyware, malware. you name it we had it. the guy who fixed it could not believe how many viruses it had on it, he had never seen anything that bad before.

get a couple of different virus checkers. if you have norton get another one as well as norton only picks up certain viruses (other virus checkers only pick up certain viruses as well)

we have super anti spy weekly, anti malware monthly, cleen-up 4-6 weekly and norton. and it works really well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awesome thanks. I will look at getting those mentioned

Also what about using a iPhone. Is there virus protection for phones??

DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Best protection? A Mac. Failing that, Linux.

Failing THAT, the free anti-virus packages work every bit as well as the paid ones, and in some cases better. Avast and AVG were both good back when I used Windows, and I doubt they have gone downhill significantly since.

You'll also need an anti-spyware/ad-ware package. Again, look around at the free ones.

If you just do the email/web browsing type of thing, then using a better browser with the right add-ons will stop most threats at the gate. Firefox and Chrome are both worth a look.

Unless you jailbreak your iPhone, the chances of getting a virus is next to zero. Apple screens all the apps before they get accepted to the App Store. If you jailbreak, the chances are slightly higher but still very remote.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can macs get viruses, or is it just a rare thing? Why?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

GuestMember  (15-02-2012)

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I prefer Avast and I've tried lots lol. I also run malaware every few weeks.

DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Can macs get viruses, or is it just a rare thing? Why?
    They can, but it is very, very rare.

There are a few reasons. The two main ones are that the operating system is, in practise, more secure, and that there are far less OSX machines than Windows ones. This makes it less attractive for people that write viruses, and less likely they'll spread if they do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Get a Mac. No viruses (or very rare as pp said). I've had a Mac at home for years, no problem. Have a pc at work (even with high tech anti virus software) and probably gets sick about every 6-8 months.
    Mac is the best!!!