+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Rice Cereal or Oatmeal with no traces of milk or soy products?

I've been advised to introduce DS2 to solids ASAP due to his dairy allergy and difficulty tolerating even Neocate and EleCare. He also has severe reflux. Can anyone advise me if there is a rice cereal or an oatmeal cereal I can buy that has absolutely no traces or milk or soy products???

Also...are there any books I can buy about introducing solids to babies with high risk of allergies?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Forget the cereals- I don't think many babies go for them anyway! You could check the ground rice you buy in the baking aisle for traces of those things, or make your own rice or oat cereal by blending oats or rice into a fine powder. But seriously, I don't know any baby that would eat rice cereal anyway!
    If you call Abbott's customer service line on 1800 225311, you can ask them to send you out a booklet called "Little Tommy Tucker was allergic to his supper. What can he eat? Your EleCare weaning guide" It has some useful tips and recipes for starting solids for bubs with allergies.

It also has a chart in it of the reaction potential of foods ranked in order. Low risk of allergy foods include potato, pear, apple, sweet potato and pumpkin, lamb and chicken, banana and oats.

I would start with puréed vegetables- pumpkin or sweet potato, steam until really soft and blend until smooth. Start with just half to a full teaspoon and if there is no reaction increase the amount. Wait 3-5 days before introducing the next food. If you keep introducing new foods this way, you can pinpoint if any cause reactions and also you can start combining the tested foods.

I have lots of allergy friendly recipes if you need any other ideas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh, and my severe refluxer would projectile vomit anything that was green (even a veggie mix that had the slightest bit of puréed zucchini in it) and anything that had even the slightest bit of texture to it until after she turned one.