+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Unhappy Terrified of losing my sister

When my sister was pregnant with her little girl (who is now 9mths old) she found out that her kidneys were starting to fail but as she was pregnant at the time there was nothing anyone could do until after the birth of her little girl. She has been on medication and having regular check ups. Her latest check up was today and she has been told that her kidneys are only 51% functional and that she now needs to start taking steroid injections. However the doctors wont give her the injections until she loses 20kgs.

My sister isnt a real big girl she just hasnt lost the weight from either of her pregnancies. My mum and I are planning or going for walks with her through the week and we will give her as much support as she needs so she can get the weight off.

Im so hoping that the steroid injections work for her, if they dont the only option then will be a kidney transplant I am terrified, she is my big sister and I really dont wont anything to happen to her. Im so stuck on the what if's, what if the injections dont work?, what if we cant find a compatible kidney for a transplant?, what if I lose my sister?

She has so much to live for and has 2 gorgeous kids that need their mummy so much the doctors can get things back on track for her, I love her so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That would be very scary.

Is there any way you and your mum could give her a 3month gym membership, join up too and all of you go together to help encourage and motivate her with the weight loss? Weight loss alone can help stabilise kidney problems, then with steroid injections on top of that she would have a very good chance of being just fine. The gym can help work out a weight loss program that starts out gentle and safe. I found the gym was the most fun and effective way of losing weight for me.

You sound like a wonderful, caring sister. I hope everything works out.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

bearbug  (15-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    There's only one reason i exercise, my dog is a German shepherd, if I don't walk her, she isn't happy and acts up or gets destructive, but I also love the break from the house
    But honestly, changing food is what needs to happen, I personally like to not diet, but cut out junk and up my fruit and veg, salad with everything.
    I hope she pulls through for you all

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bronny-jane For This Useful Post:

bearbug  (15-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can her doctors not give her some kind of eating plan that won't further jeopardise her kidneys? Or a nutritionist? I'm currently on an eating plan that is low carb, high protein & fat which is def helping shift kilos, but not sure if something like that would suit her condition.

I hope she can get the help she needs to get fit and healthy xxx

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh that must be so scary! I won't offer suggestions, because sometimes you just want to put out how you're feeling and have people empathize. Not that I'm saying others shouldn't, something they suggest might be perfect! I just don't know of any really good tips and anything I could offer probably wouldn't help.

I'll be sending healing vibes her way and strength vibes yours. *hugs*

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

bearbug  (15-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut2011 View Post
    Can her doctors not give her some kind of eating plan that won't further jeopardise her kidneys? Or a nutritionist? I'm currently on an eating plan that is low carb, high protein & fat which is def helping shift kilos, but not sure if something like that would suit her condition.

I hope she can get the help she needs to get fit and healthy xxx
    High protein diets are not recommended for people with kidney disease.

OP, did the Doctor give your sister an eating plan? An exercise plan?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My BIL has kidney failure and two young children... He is now doing haemo-dialysis and is on the count down to the transplant. He had to jump through hoops as well to get these great injections that helped him quite a bit - but short term solution only (like giving him some energy and appetite back).
    My biggest advice is do EVERYTHING down to the last detail that they recommend. The less you comply the further away the best treatment will be. If they say drink 1,453mL of water per day, she should do it!
    I hope for everyone's sake she can lose the weight. Good luck xxx

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

bearbug  (15-02-2012)