+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Lactation headache

Bubs is just over 4 weeks old and exclusively breastfed. For the first week and a half after the birth I had a constant migraine that not even strong prescription pain killers would budge. It eventually subsided for a few days but now I get a headache every time I feed. As soon as I letdown, it's instant migraine. My vision is a bit funny too.
    Has anyone else experienced this??
    I've done a bit of research and found a bit of info which suggests a surge in oxytocin when letting down is the cause but it should subside during the feed. Mine don't. And coz bubs is a frequent feeder, I've pretty much constantly got a headache. My doctor wasn't helpful at all and basically said if it is hormonal then I've just gotta deal with it!!

I honestly don't know how much longer I can cope with being in pain. Bubs is a great feeder and is thriving and I don't want to stop feeding and deprive him of that, I just don't know what to do!!
    Any advice, experiences or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Drink more water and up your body salts ie Gatorade etc. Some headaches are fuelled by lack of water and bf uses heaps.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Google DMER (dysphoric milk ejection reflex). It may fit. Not a lot you can do If you think this is it, although the worst of it normally passes in around 6-12 weeks (I think)

I would be pushing doctor for more answers... What you were told sounds a bit dismissive!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Find a doctor who is also a lactation consultant and get their advice. My MHCN gave me a list of them. I found that combination of experience awesome. I love my regular GP but would return to this Dr if it was ever a feeding related issue again!

Enjoying time with DD since her arrival 13/01/2012......welcome little miss.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely no advice just some

Like we don't have enough to put up with while breastfeeding!! I hope you get it sorted out soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had exactly the se headaches while in hospital trying to bf my new born. They even gave more endone but it did nothing. It is excruciatingly painful. So after 5 days I stopped bf. I had two other kids to consider. And none of the lactation consultants nor doctors had any answers. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice guys :-)

I'm already drinking plenty of fluids so I know it's not that.
    I called the ABA and they also mentioned D-MER but I'm not convinced it's that as it doesn't subside though the feed.

At the moment I'm just trying to battle through, getting as much rest between feeds as possible (easier said then done with a toddler as well!!)
    I've got an appointment to see my female gyno at the end of the month so I'm gonna mention it to her and see what she thinks. She's very good with female related issues and very thorough with investigating issues. Just hard to get in to see.
    I'm determined to continue breastfeeding though so just taking it one day at a time :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That seems a long time to wait.. Could you get in to a private LC before then? Can put your post ode into the ibclc website to find nearby ones

Sorry to hear you haven't found Answers :