+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Solids and breastfeeding

My almost 6 month old was started on solids properly as of last week. She has shown an interest in food since 4 months so have let her lick my apple or cucumber here and there since about 4.5 mnths.

She is probably having about 5 full baby spoons of puree one meal a day. She loses interest after a while though, chucks a fruity and then it's done. It's our first week so I'm well aware it takes some getting used to for both of us.
    But it doesn't seem to be reducing her breastfeeds at all. Is it just because of the amount of solids she is taking isn't really affecting her appetite for the breast? And then as she increases the amount taken at solids meals it will eventually replace that breastfeed for the day?

I'm just finding it difficult to know when to slot in her solids meal. She feeds 4 hourly but lately has been comfort feeding to get to sleep but I don't think she's actually taking much milk as I don't feel letdown most of the time she's comfort feeding. But because we're just starting out I want to make sure she's properly hungry, but not frantically so, because either way she'll have no interest in her new food. Breakfast seems a bit difficult as at the moment she is waking CONSTANTLY through the night (I think we're having a wonder week!) and will only settle for the breast so I don't know if she's actually hungry in the morning since she's been having midnight (1am, 2am etc. lol) snacks! I've tried lunchtime, but think she's full from her night feeding and then her morning nap feed. (Yes I'm trying to get her out of the habit!) I have had more success with lunch and dinner though. It's just so hard to guage how much she's taking at these comfort feeds and how much she needs to fill her up. She won't take a bottle so I can't use that trick to tell.

When did you notice a reduction in breastfeeds after starting solids?
    Which meal did you provide your baby with solids? And how long after a breastfeed did you feed your baby solids?

p.s. should I wait for this wonder week to end??? Breastmilk was still satisfying her and she gains weight really well so it won't be nutritionally detrimental to wait another week or so.
    Last edited by MyLittleLilacTree; 15-02-2012 at 13:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,It is my understanding that solids will not replace BFing until bubs is alittle younger than 1yr old (about 10ish mths?). At 6 mths they should start off with a BF and one solid feed of about a few teaspoons after the BF. Sooo BF first than a solid meal only about once a day at first. Gradually increase every couple of weeks or so.... I know it can sound all confusing, but I wouldnt even try to put a time frame on it. Just know that their little guts have to adjust to new texture and new food, so do it gradually according to your bub, go with her she will show you if and when she can handle a litlle more, but start out with a small amount once a day after a bf (say lunch time?)

Good luck hope i haven't confused you more.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    dd is 21months and still has 3-4 feeds a day.
    shes an ambivalent feeder though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh my dd is 8 months and she is still basically getting ALL her nutrition from boob. She does play with and taste her food but she doesn't get much calories from it. Its no big drama until they are closer to one.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    lovely!!! I am on the right track then thanks ladies! x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MyLittleLilacTree View Post
    lovely!!! I am on the right track then thanks ladies! x
    Yep you are. Also my ngala feed and sleep book says between 6 and 12 months offfer "tastes" of the five food groups through out the day, but not to replace breastfeeds with food

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Food is for fun until they are 1! I have just started my 6 month old on solids also and am of the understanding that it needs to be supplemental to b/f and not replacing it if that makes sense. I offer her food about half an hour after a feed. Your LO sounds like she is doing perfectly to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 6 month old is on three meals a day. She let me no that she wasn't full enough when she woke up 3 nights in a row. She had been sleeping through all night up to that point. On the forth day I introduced 2 more meals and from that night she slept through again.
    She is still having quite a bit of milk, not as much as some though, only ever has 80-150ml each feed.
    I Think all babies are different and you should do what works for u

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Violet belle For This Useful Post:

MyLittleLilacTree  (27-02-2012)