+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Super mums, do they really exist?

I'm always lacking in some thing, if my house is spotless i will more then likely look like a hobo
    If i put in some effort to look good, i probably will skip doing dishes.
    Sometimes I just run a brush through my kids hair instead of styling it, those days tend to be the one they get a random photo taken lol
    Am I going to compare myself with another mother, hell no
    I know I do my best, I'm not cooking 3 course meals, I'm more slummy mummy then yummy ha ha
    But I'm damn happy with where I am mentally and emotionally.
    Sure I know I can put more effort into some things, but I'm no super mum. I've never seen one either... So I'm guessing man made myth to make us work even harder, while the man kicks back playing call of duty, drinking a beer and question my cooking skills lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Same! I cleaned my house top to bottom yesterday & only got out of my PJs and dressed jasper (he was Nigel no pants all day) at 4:45 because I realised DF would be home soon and I smelled pretty gross.

But then also because I'd cleaned (and nested) all day, we had pizza for dinner, because I really couldn't be bothered cooking (and messing up my kitchen!)

I'm not a super mum.

I'm a good mum.

Sometimes a great mum.

Sometimes a pretty average mum.

But I'm cool with it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (15-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Slummy Mummy!!

This is so me. I finally got around to coloring my hair yesterday, but the 4 hour process meant I didn't cook dinner or do an extra load of washing.

I could do better, but my kids don't care if the house isn't spotless or the pile of washing grows a bit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Depends on how you define a super mum.

My house is a disaster zone. So is my car come to think of it. I can pretty much guarantee that ds1 didn't pull the plug out of the bath last night. And that his and ds2's clothes are still on the bathroom floor. Beds aren't made. Dishes in the sink. Washing basket full waiting to be folded. Nappies waiting to be snapped. Grass over grown. Toys everywhere. Ds1 is covered in texta, and looking at ds2 I think he has been chewing on a texta too. There is half a banana sitting on my lap while I hold my coffee mug. Laptop loading while I contemplate how on earth I am going to do my work amidst the chaos.

I reckon I'm super mum because regardless of all this, my kids are clean (besides the texta but it's washable), fed (except for the half eaten banana), clothed, and happy. I don't think being a super mum is squeezing into the unrealistic ideal of what we SHOULD be like. Rather that we have happy kids who know how much they are loved! And that we are happy accepting that.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to One of THOSE mums! For This Useful Post:

Camel  (17-02-2012),Gandalf  (17-02-2012),TimTamsandTea  (16-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know a few 'perfect mums' and DP calls me super mum, but I think most mums are super mums. We're one of the few people in the human race who are expected to survive (and not complain about) large amounts of sleep deprivation.

I manage to keep the house tidy by my standards, get to work on time, have my hair/make up done daily... but I only have one child and he's a breeze behaviour-wise.

When I see mums with bags under their eyes, two toddlers hanging off their legs, dropping the older one to school in their tracksuit THAT is when I think "wow, she's a supermum"

Thanks
    Reviews
    You'd think so, I have 3 girls in primary, all completely different styles of how they dress and wear their hair. There are some kids going to school daily with painstakingly precision styles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I don't think the perfect supermum from the stereotype exists.

Every mum I know who appears to have it all and manage everything perfectly is struggling more than appearances suggest.

Great mums? Absolutely. Loving mums? You bet. Organised? Sure.

Perfect supermum who manages to be everything and do everything asked of her whilst barely smudging her perfect mascara and flawless foundation? Only on tv.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get weird looks when I drop my girls at school, sure I'm not wearing shoes, I'm just getting them out of the car and walking them over to the gate... Be happy I'm wearing a bra.. Well most days

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have days where I shower and change out of my PJ's into new ones just before bed. Running a household is hard work with 3 children under 4 and virtually no support network. One of my little ones has just had a vomiting bug and I did 6 loads of washing yesterday. I think ALL of us were in PJ's all day!
    My friends think I'm a supermum because I always bring freshly baked muffins, etc when we catch up. Truth is, I love baking (and eating!) and since I'm on a restricted diet, if I don't make something myself, chances are I won't be able to eat it- so its purely for my benefit!

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've 'appeared' as a super-mum for a while....

study/work/parent/maintain a good relationship with DH/cook/clean/look after myself.....

but in reality I was just neatly stacking internal box upon internal box upon internal box of stress, anxiety and depression.....

And my kids were spiralling behaviour wise because I was so BUSY juggling 7 balls, while riding a unicycle, on a plank with a glass of water on my nose... that me just saying "You need to be respectful" meant NOTHING to them... as I'd turn around a few minutes later and just scream "I'm BUSY... leave....me...alone!"

NOW.... I've given up study and cut back on work... and I'm playing.... I PLAY.
    I jump on the trampoline, and hit a badminton birdie, and slot connect 4's...

Now when I say "in our family we speak kindly to each other... try again"... they know what I mean.

I'm by no means holding all the straws, but I'm so much happier... and so are my kids.

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

Areca  (21-02-2012),Daydream Believer  (15-02-2012),erinn  (18-02-2012),Gandalf  (17-02-2012),Kyls  (16-02-2012),lulu21  (15-02-2012),MissMuppet  (15-02-2012),MissPoss  (15-02-2012),OurLittleBlessing  (15-02-2012)