+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Getting your child to eat fruit

My son is nearly 1 years old, and wont eat any fruit. He will happily eat puree fruit though. I am sick of his snacks being cruskits etc. I have tried every fruit under the sun - all the different textures etc but have had absolutely no success with anything. Do I just keep persisting and throwing money down the drain on perfectly good fruit that ends up in the bin?

We had success with some dried fruit, so am going down that route at the moment, but I would like to be able to take fresh fruit out with me as snacks and am worried that since he rejects all of it, it is going to be impossible to get him to start eating any.

Suggestions? Has anyone been through this as well?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Getting children to eat foods they don't like is certainly a challenging job but persistence is definitely they key. Even though he's not the biggest fan of fresh fruit it's good that at least he enjoys the puréed and dried kind so he is getting some of the benefits.
    Here's a few suggestions after working in childcare with fussy eaters for many years. Cut up a small platter of fruits into bite size pieces for morning tea with a few different options; strawberries, apple watermelon, pear for example and leave it where they usually have their meals with a drink and let them know it will be there for some time. Persevere for a few days going over and eating a couple of pieces in front of him telling him how delicious the fruit it is but not insisting that he eats some, children love to do the opposite of what you tell them!
    Also, you could try a reward system initially. Suggest to the child that if they try one new fruit this week you'll take them to the store to buy them some stickers or something small that you can use as little rewards everytime they try some more fruit and then give them a sticker each time. Children usually respond very positively to this.
    Another suggestion is to make fruit smoothies with your child. Let them help you choose the fruit and after you cut up the pieces let them help you put the ingredients in the blender and watch the process of the fruit turning into the smoothie.
    Hope these help, definitely know they have worked for me! Good luck!

*in a world full of hate, they'll know only love* <3

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As a nice cool treat in summer I would chop up a variety of fruit and freeze it and then give it to my DD's. They loved it and it was great for teething too! Their favorite foods now are carrot, watermelon and banana.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I cut up a variety into small pieces and make a fruit platter for us all, looks great too. My kids love fruit, do you have a friend who has a fruit eating child? Kids love to copy others my youngest just likes to eat anything I'm eating, but only if it's off my plate lol apparently my plate is they key

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Are you eating it with him? I think if he sees you eat it and always keep offering him yours and don't make a big deal maybe he will want some? Also try buy nitrate free or organic dried fruit as there are a lot of chemicals in most dried fruits

Thanks
    Reviews
    My boys like getting whole fruit, I just wash and give it to them letting them get messy. I do keep a close eye on my 9 month old with it though. Stone fruits are a winner and it amazes me how they just spit out the bits they don't want.