+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Fussy booby eater

DD is breastfed (with the occasional bottle of EBM). Lately, she has been fussy on the breast. She'll feed for maybe a couple of minutes and then will arch off and won't reattach. When I try to guide her to reattach she'll continue to push away and grunt. I try switching sides and she will only sometimes attach to the other side. I then try switching her back to the first side, but no luck.

Lying down to feed her is the only time when we'll have some success and she'll eat for a good period of time.

I thought maybe it was my supply, but I still seem to have milk in there?

At first I thought it was just a phase and this is what the MACH nurse told me. But it's now lasted for about a month.

She's still getting all the wet nappies and gaining weight, but I am thinking that her irregular feeding is causing her to want to eat more at night (and more wake ups - which is okay, but if she could eat more during the day and sleep more at night that would be fantastic)

Has this happened to anyone before? Any ideas/tips on how to make it easier on both of us? I'm not interested in switching to formula - unless absolutely necessary. She was such a great feeder before.

Thanks for reading. Sorry for the essay

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 9 week Old is doing this too. I find it is either

She's overtired, so I have to settle her and try a feed again
    Shes too busy looking around, so I cover us with a wrap
    She's Got wind, so I hold her upright and she usually has a big burp

I think it can also be a flow issue too, either fast flow at tue beginning or slow let down.

Hope it settles down soon!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaNurture For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (15-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This is a common concern when babies are around 4 months, they are more aware of their surroundings and the world is just too exciting to feed fo r too long.

No reason to go to formula, your bub sounds pretty normal. some people find feeding in a quiet room can help, or wearing a bright sparkly necklace (to keep baby s attention), or (my fav) singing to baby and playing games with their hands.

Babies also get more efficient atfeeding, so maybe she is getting enough milk in a shorter period of time.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

MyLittleLilacTree  (15-02-2012),smallpotatoes  (15-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a similar issue and after talking with an LC, I'm pretty sure it was a high flow issue. I was also worried maybe I didn't have enough milk but when I hand expressed a jet of milk went flying across the room.

Feeding lying down works for us, but if I can slouch down and have her more upright lying across my body (more vertical than horizontal) that seems to keep the flow in better check. Also, if I see her starting to fuss and pop off I'll set her upright right away which lets her swallow the extra milk quickly and then she'll go back on.

That said - it is also sometimes one of the three things Mamanurture suggested.

Good luck. If you're really stuck is there a free drop-in lactation clinic through your early childhood center? Or try calling the ABA?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Windupbird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD has done this twice for about a week each time. I was so distressed thinking she didn't want to bf anymore. She would scream and push me away until I lay down to feed. I also have a very fast flow but don't beleive that was the case with DD as she usually copes well with it.
    The second time it happened I just tried to relax and kept offering the breast every now and then and if she cried it put it away and give her cuddles.

Baby wearing, co-sleeping, booby feeding mummy to one

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Etienne For This Useful Post: