+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Caviar View Post
    Pregnor, firstly my post is not advice, it's an answer to the OP's question and it's about my situation, not what I think the OP's should be.

Guidelines are just that: guides. They aren't rules that are set in stone. Every child is different.

Secondly, I am guided by my health professional to make sure our son is getting the proper nutrition given his penchant for water and preference for solids. Feel free to argue with him if you wish.

That said, I have never come across guidelines that recommend cows milk for children under two or that Stage 3 formula is "full of sugar" so I forgive you
    Oh wow, major overreaction. I dont think there was any need to be so rude, Pregnor was just asking a question. I was curious too about the cows milk. My DS doesnt have cows milk either, he is still bf, but I read that and was curious to read further into it. Wont bother asking myself for a source for your info
    And what is there to 'forgive' Pregnor for? She said absolutely nothing wrong.

Oh & there are plenty of guidelines out there recommending cows milk from 12 months. All the brochures I've got from the health nurse about milk say you can wean onto cows milk from 12 months. Same as some kids health websites I've looked up after seeing them in doctors offices/pamphlets/etc. Google brings up plenty of sources.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shan23 For This Useful Post:

CMCandAmelia  (19-02-2012),E&bump  (19-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Caviar View Post
    definitely not cow's milk as 12 months is way too early for that.
    I think Pregnor had a valid question. I'm curious too as to what you think the issues are.

To answer the OP:

5/30 - 6am: Bottle (formula)
    7.30 - Nap (1.5 hour)
    9 - Breakfast
    11 - Milk
    12.30 - Lunch
    1.30 - Nap (1.5 hour)
    5 - Dinner
    6 - Night routine - bath, bottle, story, bed (getting to sleep is another story... that takes a while).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with pregnor completely and think there a few valid points there and the need to get defensive is totally uncessary... We're all adults here just sharing our opinions and hopefully factual evidence to back them up if necessary.

All the handouts I have received have also stated cows milk is usually fine from 12 months (be sure to keep an eye out for allergic reactions though for the first few introductions).

Also, a few of friends and also two separate mchn's have told me 2-3 bottles are more than enough for a child of that age who should be eating three solid meals and healthy snacks throughout the day. Given each child is different and some cannot bear to part with their milk, this is only recommended. I find with my 9 month old, if I give him any more than three bottles a day he has a sore tummy.

Schedule

7.00 wake up/bf
    9.00 brekkie/play
    11.00 - 12.30 sleep
    12.45 snack
    1.30 lunchwalk
    2.50 bf
    3.00 - 4.30 sleep
    4.45 snack
    6.00 dinner
    7.00 bath
    7.30 bf/bed

*in a world full of hate, they'll know only love* <3

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I am the same as the other pp, I don't think cows milk is a good substitute for bm/formula either , my naturopath did not recommend it mainly as the protein is too hard to digest plus the pasteurization kills a lot of the nutrients , it does not have the nutrients bm/formula have,Iron is still very important and cows milk does not contain any ( unless fortified) my 16 month DS still has 1 bottle of formula a day, and will probably stop soon as he is now getting all his nutrients from his food , he drinks only water but does have goats/rice/oat milk in smoothies or porridge ( a2 milk is meant to be the best cows milk to give if you do give it )
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 15-02-2012 at 12:53.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (15-02-2012),Pregnor  (16-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks OP for this thread. I'm so sick of conflicting advice! I'm just doing what works best for us. DD1 had weaned by 1 year and so I used to mix some toddler formula into her milk to make sure she got enough iron - this was 9-10 years ago. DD2 is still BF 4 times a day (which, thanks to PP, I now see is quite normal) but I have to go back to work (far from care) so I have been trying to work out how/what to wean her... After all the mish mash of information, I decided to do the same as DD1, change her day feed to milk with a bit of formula for extra nutrients - it didn't hurt her one bit!! I think the best thing at this age is that no matter what you do, just making sure they are getting a balanced diet and it's all good

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Speaking of overreacting.....

Some people have too much time on their hands and yet strangely no time to actually read what has been written and what is obviously between two posters and NOTHING to do with them.

Before you attack, ask yourselves: did I read this incorrectly? Could I be reading this the wrong way?

Chances are, you're right.

Wont bother asking myself for a source for your info
    You don't have to Shan. It's already listed. Which you would've seen if you'd read my post before jumping for my jugular

For the benefit of those who obviously skipped what was actually written, I was responding to the OP, not proferring advice to all and sundry as was indicated by other poster. I wasn't being rude or defensive, just answering a question. Wonder if I would have received the same flack if I had just ignored the question? I guess being polite has its drawbacks in here.
    Last edited by Caviar; 15-02-2012 at 18:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At 12 months DD switched to cows milk. Prior to this she was having 2 bottles a day of formula (or maybe 3...that was only 2 months ago and I've forgotten!). At 14 mths out routine is:

7am - cup of (cow's) milk
    8am - breakfast (usually weetbix/fruit)
    10am - snack
    11:30am - lunch
    12pm - sleep (1.5-2 hours)
    3ish - snack
    5pm - dinner
    6pm - bath
    6:30pm - cup of milk
    7pm - bed (and wine for mum!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is 1 on Sunday. His day looks a bit like this:

7am - wake and bf
    7.30/45 - breakfast (weetbix/porridge)
    10am - morning tea - fruit, cheese
    11- nap (2.5-3hrs)
    1.30/2 - lunch
    3/3.30 - sippy cup with cows milk and something small to eat
    5.30 - dinner, bath
    6.30 - bf
    7.00 - bed

I make sure he has lots of dairy in his meals and snacks.

I switched to cows milk last week for his afternoon drink. I switched to cows milk for my DD around the same age and I will wean DS onto cows milk when we're both ready.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I am the same as the other pp, I don't think cows milk is a good substitute for bm/formula either , my naturopath did not recommend it mainly as the protein is too hard to digest plus the pasteurization kills a lot of the nutrients , it does not have the nutrients bm/formula have,Iron is still very important and cows milk does not contain any ( unless fortified) my 16 month DS still has 1 bottle of formula a day, and will probably stop soon as he is now getting all his nutrients from his food , he drinks only water but does have goats/rice/oat milk in smoothies or porridge ( a2 milk is meant to be the best cows milk to give if you do give it )
    Thank you for your response, it makes complete sense. We ended up keeping my DS on formula until he was close to 18 months I think as he was not a good eater. I was not happy with the toddler formula, so he ended up staying on step 2. I was just wondering what the reasons for not giving cows milk were. As I said before my DD doesnt tolerate cows milk, so she has goat milk on daycare days (she still has at least 2 big breast feeds that day, anyway). I dislike the conflicting information available, but everything I have been presented with has stated 12 months for cows milk, so thank you for taking the time to explain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    At 1 my DD was on this rough schedule

5.30/6am up
    6/6.30am Breakfast
    7-9am Activity - walk/playground/grocery shops
    9am BF
    9-11nap
    12 Lunch and activity ie shops/visiting people/library
    2pm BF
    2-4pm Nap
    4-5 Park/playground/outdoor stuff
    5.30 Dinner
    6.30pm 150ml Cows milk or 100ml yoghurt if she didnt each much dinner.
    7/7.30 bath/BF bed
    11pm BF
    4am BF if required.