+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Where's the patience gone today??

Just wondering what everyone does on the days their patience is running thin. I feel like I have woken up on the wrong side of the bed today and have limited patience. I am trying really hard to just get through the day. Every time I find myself running out of patience again I have to take deep breaths and just suck it up but it's getting hard. And I am sure it's effecting DS he's grizzly today and he's not usually. What do you do??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Spend a lot of time counting to 10 in my head, hide in the toilet and if all else fails, get out of the house for a bit.

Hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It has been a really horrible start of the year for me. I suffer from insomnia so i wasn't really getting that much sleep end of last year. we whent on a holiday to Queensland end of December. i lost a lot of sleep (without complaints obviously) but once we got back home sleep debt has my fuse short. I've been highly irritable, fatigued & just find it hard to function.

My wife began to work full time while i stay at home w/ my DD & DS (though my DS started Prep last week) and my wife also started school on the weekends. so i have the kids all week. Even Friday nights when i thought i could relax my wife has been going to prayer meetings in the evening after work.

Any way, it's been quite a tough start of the year and in January i LOST IT!!! My son aggravated me one morning after not getting much sleep yet again and i ended up screaming like a mad man and punching two holes on his bedroom door. After the extreme regret and remorse i felt like a MONSTER. To this day i still cannot forgive myself. It was also in front of my 2 yr old DD.

Patience has been something i practice but sleep debt really caught up to me. There's no excuse for what i did but it played a role. I hope non of you ever lose it as much as i did. Lesson for all of you wonderful parents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wondering what everyone does on the days their patience is running thin. What do you do??
    I walk away and I breathe and refocus.
    If my DH is there I say, hey, I need ten minutes.
    If I'm alone, I put him in his cot/playpen and breathe.
    In the early days when I was averaging 2 hours of sleep a night, I did this a lot. I have never and would never lose it in front of my child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Caviar View Post
    In the early days when I was averaging 2 hours of sleep a night, I did this a lot. I have never and would never lose it in front of my child.
    Yep that's me too you just gotta walk away for a second or two sometimes that's all you'll need, others a good 10 minutes have a few breathers and back you go it really does work and then you never lose it in front of them I to this day have still not lost it and never will as the key is to walk away and breathe ( make sure baby is in cot/ playpen/ someone to watch first of course) :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Caviar View Post
    This is a good idea. Now that DDs a toddler if I'm having a bad day, the tv goes on. I get a coffee and relax and try and get it together till DH gets home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I simply tell my 4 and 6 year old that I'm feeling cranky and need them to co-operate with me. Then I deal with my 2 year old the best way I can.
    If weather and time permits we'll head out the front for a play...sometimes the neighbours kids will come out and play and I'll chat to my neighbour and the day turns from being awful to great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I go somewhere the kids can run free. Where they'll have a great time and I'll get a break... Play centers etc. Today we're going to a big adventure playground... 2 & 3 year old can go wild I regroup with newborn...

I find if I'm in public Im not inclined to yell at them (which I hate doing, but I'm human) and am much more patient...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im sorry your having a bad day trust me we all have them so don't feel bad. The best thing for me is fresh air, I either go for a walk to the park or if it's bad weather we have a pergola and i go out there. I find just putting my DD somewhere safe and walking away isn't enough for me but as others suggested it might help you. I had one of those days the other day whilst trying desperately to toilet train my almost 3 year old daughter and I lost it big time. The key is to try not to show them you have had enough lol. Easier said than done but fresh air is my drug so to speak. These four walls can get to you at times. I hope you have a better day today.