View Poll Results: My thoughts on suicide are

67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Those that do are selfish and deserve the worst.

0 0%
  • It shows they were weak willed but I feel sorry for them.

2 2.99%
  • Everyone can only handle so much before they snap. There is no shame in that.

37 55.22%
  • None of the above. GFP, you make lousy poll questions

28 41.79%
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Adelaide foothills
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't read any other posts in this thread
    I think it's best that you do before commenting, particularly on a sensitive subject such as this one. This thread isn't about people who make threats or implement emotional blackmail. To make the comment that you just have illustrates a lack of understanding and, in my view, is a selfish thing to do.

Your post doesn't offend me. But it does disappoint.

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you everyone for your responses.

To all of those who have had experience with suicide in the past - whether you knew someone or were suicidal yourself, thank you for sharing. I know how hard it is to dig up those memories - all too well. Over the coming weeks, I will be implementing, here in the general forum as well as in the private discussion group, a series of threads that will be addressing suicide and promoting suicide awareness.

The last figures I have in front of me are from 2009. In that year, we lost a staggering 2132 people to suicide. This compares with 1417 deaths by motor vehicle accidents in that same year. Of the 2132, a staggering 77% are male.

22% of all deaths of males aged 15-24 was caused by suicide.

Is it an epidemic? No. Is there too many taking their lives this way? Yes.

The WHO (World Health Organisation) estimate that one million people around the world take their own lives every year. One death every 40 seconds.

Suicide is complex, with psychological, social, biological, cultural and environmental factors involved. It is impossible to pinpoint "a reason" a person takes their own life.

So what can be done? Good question. I certainly don't have all the answers. But what I can do is spread awareness of it. Assist others on this forum who are in dark places. And share some strategies in assisting somebody who has suicidal thoughts, so that you are better equipped to assist should you find yourself in that situation.

These things may save the life of a friend, a father, a sister. Your own.

Again, I'd like to thank everyone who participated. And a reminder to all those who seemed troubled that we do have the private area. The content there isn't able to be found in a google search. It is a very good place to discuss private and possibly distressing feelings and emotions.

Take care everyone.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GluttonForPunishment For This Useful Post:

MamaC  (18-02-2012),MuminMind  (26-03-2012)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Closed at the request of the OP.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345