View Poll Results: My thoughts on suicide are

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Those that do are selfish and deserve the worst.

0 0%
  • It shows they were weak willed but I feel sorry for them.

2 2.99%
  • Everyone can only handle so much before they snap. There is no shame in that.

37 55.22%
  • None of the above. GFP, you make lousy poll questions

28 41.79%
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't read all of the replies. I used to think it was selfish and an awful thing to "do" to those who loved you. Now I realise that those who attempt and commit suicide truly believe that they are doing the best thing for themselves and for the people they love. They feel that everyone will be better off without them.

So, no, I don't think it's selfish or weak, just incredibly tragic.

Someone I knew killed herself recently, leaving behind her two young children. It breaks my heart that she was in such a dark place that even the overwhelming love she felt for her children couldn't take away her pain.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i love my children more than life itself. i would die to save them in a heartbeat.
    the thought of ANYONE being so depressed that it overwhelmed thier love for thier children is heartbreaking.
    i imagine it would be the lowest point of life, and i feel compassion for those who couldnt rise up again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    To be at a point where you actually commit the act of taking your own life I think shows the absolute desperation one must feel. I have been there. I have never ever felt such pain like it, to the point where it turned to numbness...I just stopped feeling altogether. I remember before I got the point of making the decision to end my life, a feeling of incredibly un comfortableness and frustration with the fact that I was living and breathing and only I alone could end it, that was going to take alot of guts, but that is what I wanted, I needed it, I truely felt it was right. I haven't fully recovered from it, I don't think I ever will, being to that point has scarred me. But I understand why people do it, I wish it never had to get to that point where one wants out. It's incredibly sad and tragic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think there are multiple reasons for suicide.
    For me, as it's only my opinion I can speak from, it was to keep the kids safe.
    Last year, I had a "mental snap" as best as I can describe it. It was like there was someone living in my head, clawing at the insides to be let out and wanting to scream and scream and tear apart my house, destroy the lounge room, beat and hurt and shake the kids til they just shut up and left me alone, tell my housemate and my best friend that i hated him, etc etc.
    It was like there was someone else in my head, and so i didn't speak for near on two weeks. I was so scared that if I did, the person in my head would come out and I had no clue who she was or where she came from. Some days it was even a physical struggle, to keep my mind and body as my own. It was exhausting. I barely slept. The nightmares were atrocious when I did sleep and I could barely eat anything. I lost weight so drastically that my clothes started falling off of me. It permanently looked like someone had broken my nose and I cringed every time the kids came near me.
    When the violent thoughts started is when I the self harm started. But then my brain or mind does this really.. Weird? Thing. It's like there's a part of my brain that breaks away and keeps watch over everything else, and when I get to the suicidal stage of things it yanks me up on everything and it's like it's put a brake on. And it's exhausting. I was exhausted, mentally and physically. I had become a danger to the people I loved the most in the world and I couldn't do anything for myself due to buggering my hips pretty badly. There was, to my mind, no reason to stick around.

I'm a very strong person, but there is a point in time when my brain thoroughly snaps and apparently I found it. It's a horrible, dark place to be and I hated it. Some days I still feel like that, but it's getting better. I can look myself in the mirror now. But when I ended up in the psychiatric ward is when I realised I really, REALLY needed help.

I don't think suicide is selfish. For me, it's exhausting. I guess it's the best way to describe it. It gets to the point when my brain feels like an elderly persons, and I'm just waiting for the rest of my body to catch up so that I can lay down, get rid of all of lifes worries and stresses, let everyone else deal with them and be the strong person for once, rest easilly, know that tomorrow nothing is going to hurt me anymore. When I'm suicidal, it's because I've lived an entire lifes sh!t in the space of 22 years, and so the thought of waking up tomorrow and facing it, knowing that I've still got another 40+ years of it to deal with, it's.. Just exhausting. And awful. It makes me cry and think "I really, really can't do this. I don't want to do this. It's too much. When is it someone elses turn?"

Actually, I guess this does make it sound a little bit selfish on my part. Which is strange, because the reasons for the thoughts is because I'm NOT selfish. I'll help anyone, do anything for anyone. I give up sleep, my free time, the chance to eat something in one of my spare moments if someone needs me. I take care of my elderly neighbours because no one else will, I deal with everything. I run 2.5 households, I work to support two of them..

This turned a bit rambly. Sorry. I hope it makes sense?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

chameleon  (15-02-2012),twotrunks  (14-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    SorRy I had to choose the last option.
    i don't think selfish is the right word, but I do think as parents we have an obligation to stick around till our kids are adults At least. but then if I die of cancer that is not a choice, and some would argue suicide isn't a choice. To me I think that there are very few suicides which are the result of rational thinking: those that are in an altered state are not thinking clearly and cannot really be held responsible for their decision. So to call them selfish would be incorrect. I guess unwell would be the better term. The problem is that it doesn't help those left behind, which I guess is where I come back to parents who have a responsibility towards their kids - perhaps part of that responsibility is to take care of ourselves and recognize when we are heading down a dark path and take steps t fix it before we get to being suicidal? But in the case of sudden onset psychosis that is unlikely. I think anyone who has lost a parent to suicide has the right to feel angry at them. hell I lost my mum to cancer and I am angry at her! mostly cause I think she should have had other treatments which would have prevented it returning and killing her. But that is fairly unreasonable I know. Stil I think survivors have the right to feel as they wish and none of us have the right to question that.
    I think the best thing any of us can do is be aware of our own mental health and those around us, and maybe look at doing something like mental health first aid, so we can recognize and respond to crisis in those around us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had "None of the above" but I don't think you make lousy polls.

I think that there's so many factors:
    * Lack of understanding and support for those with mental illness
    * Lack of purpose / priorities in so many of our lives eg. when people are starving overseas, we sometimes get too obsessed with what we want to notice what we have
    * Family breakups and feeling unloved
    * Abuse, especially s3xual.

And there's probably heaps more.

I don't think suicide should be some sort of right (eg. Exit International) but I do feel very sorry for those considering it. You always wish they knew that someone like us cares about them.

I feel so sorry for that poor girl found in the high tree in Sydney.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't want this to be a discussion thread. Post your thoughts and then remain a silent watcher as I myself will do. By all means, start another one and fight about it in there if you must! I just want to get an idea on everyone's opinions right now, as they are, without a discussion.
    I'm confused.
    How are you able to obtain an opinion without discussion?
    And from what I see of this thread, it's a discussion.

Just wondering what the point is to this....

I don't think suicide automatically means that a mental illness was involved or that the person was in a dark place. That's all I want to say.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have been suicidal in the past. I don't know if you could class it as selfishness. It's not a choice to feel that way and exclude other people from your life or a desire to be away from anyone.

It's basically a desire to get away from the agonizing , excruciating pain in your head . And the loneliness, far out ,it's gut wrenching. It's amazing how you can live surrounded by people and feel utterly alone. And the insignificance you feel .......

I really think the only people that truly understand are the people that have been there. I totally understand people who suicide.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think when a person loses a loved one to suicide, it's very normal to feel angry and to feel like it is a selfish act. I know that would be my initial reaction, though I know it would be coming from my own selfish place. It would be beyond horrible for that family to live with the "why's" and "what ifs".

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I understand that there is only so much people can handle before they snap, but I also think that to commit suicide is one of the most selfish things anyone can possibly do. Yes that person feels horrible but what about the people left behind? The people left to wonder what they could have done differently or better to try and 'save' that person from themselves??? No one deserves to be put through that.

My ex-husband told me numerous times that I had 'nearly driven him to commit suicide' and all it did was make me angry. If that's what he wanted to do, it's his choice. I have nothing to do with that at all but he has 2 beautiful little kids that he would have been deserting, and a massive family and support network who all would have been shattered had he carried out his threats. He didn't care. THAT to me, is selfish.

****Disclaimer**** I haven't read any other posts in this thread so I haven't had a chance to absorb anyone else's views on this and possibly adjust my own. I'm sorry if my post offends but it is how I feel about the subject.