View Poll Results: My thoughts on suicide are

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Those that do are selfish and deserve the worst.

0 0%
  • It shows they were weak willed but I feel sorry for them.

2 2.99%
  • Everyone can only handle so much before they snap. There is no shame in that.

37 55.22%
  • None of the above. GFP, you make lousy poll questions

28 41.79%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default *Possible trigger warning* Suicide

As an ambassador for mental health, I have my own views on suicide. It's causes. What it means to me and what I think of those who have committed suicide.

I'm interested to gauge the thoughts of the wider forum community on what they think about suicide. There is a poll - I'd ask you to vote when you can and give a brief explanation as to your answer if you feel comfortable doing so. Experiences you may have had with it - either yourself or someone close to you etc.

I don't want this to be a discussion thread. Post your thoughts and then remain a silent watcher as I myself will do. By all means, start another one and fight about it in there if you must! I just want to get an idea on everyone's opinions right now, as they are, without a discussion.

Thanks!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GluttonForPunishment For This Useful Post:

Cdro  (14-02-2012),Pinkzy  (14-02-2012)

Allymumtobe is offline Winner 2012 - Most Optimistic Poster
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it's a horrible shame. I have lost friends to suicide. I read somewhere recently after another friend committed suicide that it is unfair to refer to it as a selfish act as it is just as selfish to have wanted them to stay in the anguish they must have been in just to stay in your life. It makes me cry but it's true, it's hard to think that they felt they had no options, especially the young. But it's not about you it's about them an their choice.

I wish people didn't. Have to die at all

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Allymumtobe For This Useful Post:

*Cj*  (14-02-2012),Disney Baby  (14-02-2012),GluttonForPunishment  (14-02-2012),laurea  (14-02-2012),MARTTC  (14-02-2012),MegaGuts  (14-02-2012),Mod-Uniquey  (15-02-2012),MuminMind  (15-02-2012),starflame  (14-02-2012),~ElectricPink~  (14-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think suicide is selfish or weak willed at all. A person would have to shoulder an awful lot of pain before getting to that point. A feel no sense of blame or anger towards anyone who feels suicidal only empathy.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to laurea For This Useful Post:

GluttonForPunishment  (14-02-2012),heeeeerekittykitty  (14-02-2012),MuminMind  (15-02-2012)

Disney Baby is offline <--- That's my baby at 8 cells old <3 Ahh the perks of IVF =D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I 100% agree with Allymumtobe, and I agree with what everyone else has said.

I wish people didn't feel the need to die in order to be rid of their problems, but I 1000000000% know how the 'Why should I have to stick around to make YOU happy when I am so miserable" feeling feels as I have used that sentence multiple times as a teenager when I thought about (and tried ) to commit suicide.

Looking back, I am not proud of what I did, but sometimes the feeling of 'I wished it worked" comes back up, but I could NEVER EVER EVER imagine myself getting to the point of suicide like I did so many years ago.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Disney Baby For This Useful Post:

GluttonForPunishment  (14-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mother's attempted it twice. Once when I was 18months old and in the car. The second time was last year when I was 26weeks pregnant.
    She is highly irrational, paranoid and delusional. A violent, abusive alcoholic and refuses to admit she has any problems at all.
    If you try to talk to her you get the silent treatment (and being bad-mouthed to friends/relatives) for a few months.

My answer was "everybody can only handle so much before they snap" and she had a pretty rough upbringing.. but my sympathy and empathy are wearing out and she needs to get herself sorted. It's up to her as she shuts everyone else out.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lulu56 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont think it is selfish or weak-willed to commit suicide. I know what it feels like to be on that side of the fence. I suffered major depression as a teenager and I saw a couple of psychiatrists and nothing helped. My mum refused to acknowledge my depression and my friends told me to 'just get over it'. I felt trapped and lonely and helpless and everybody made me feel guilty for having thoughts of suicide. I thought all too many times why should I stay and suffer just to make you happy? Id planned on killing myself and by chance my mum discovered the collection of pills I had and disposed of them.

With time I slowly got better and my mum is much more accepting of depression and mental illness now..but it doesnt change how I feel about it. Ive known people who killed themselves and although it hurts to be left behind I feel no anger towards them. I believe that people should be allowed to do what they like with thier lives. I think though that if you feel that way you should seek help before deciding to end your life..because alot of the time you will have support you never knew would be there. It can be hard to see the light when there is so much dark in your world and if you have support its much easier to break free. There are times where I think "it would have been easier if Id just done it" but I could never do that to my mother now I have a better understanding of life.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to starflame For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My views on suicide are fluid (some may call it fence sitting but I do not think that it is this straight forward).

I can understand why people call it selfish, I have called it that myself many times. I do think that it is selfish because it is about the self - but I do not think that it is the same type of selfishness that we use to describe someone who will only do something if it benefits themselves or if they eat all of a cake without sharing.

My experience of depression/anxiety from what I went through in my late teens is that you do become all about the 'self' because it is too hard to see anything else. I was consumed by 'me' and what I was feeling, how I was preventing myself and others from having positive experiences, how to stop the pain etc.

I also think that committing suicide is brave because you are making the biggest decision you can make and that is to end your life and having to decide how to do that. At one brief time in my life I remember thinking that I was weak because I could not take my own life.

I do not think that suicide is a black and white issue, it has so many layers that I don't know if we as a society will ever understand it but one thing I do know is that it is tragic and more needs to be done to prevent it.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (14-02-2012),GluttonForPunishment  (14-02-2012),twotrunks  (14-02-2012)

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think it is weak of those who commit suicide. I think it would take a lot of courage to actually go through with it. I believe that everyone is entitled to the right to leave this planet if they so choose. I too have spent alot of time being suicidal. I am an alcoholic (sober now), but I spent everyday of my life wanting it to be over. I am just glad I walked through the doors of AA before I finally found the courage to kill myself.

I also just wanted to say that I think it is completely natural for someone who has suffered the suicide of a loved one to be angry and feel like it is a selfish weak act. There is nothing wrong with feeling that way (just incase anyone was feeling like that). I too used to think like that until I experienced suicidal thoughts myself. Now I realise someone who suicides isn't selfish, their pain was just too much for them to carry anymore, and I know no one does this because they don't love or care about anyone else... Like I said, their pain is really just too much to bare anymore

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Theophania For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My views are pretty simple.

I'm a (proud) suicide survivor - that in itself makes me the opposite of weak. My parents and brother agree with this and I will never fully know how they felt on the two occasions they very nearly lost me.

I lost my friend to suicide in 2001, I still haven't visited his grave nor his memorial site. The 10th anniversary of his death was a few months ago and was the hardest one ever. He was not weak, he was amazing in every way. I haven't really accepted what happened yet for my own very personal reasons...I'm not angry with him, I don't see what he did as selfish and I certainly understand what he did - but I can't say I'm ready to say a final goodbye just yet.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Pinkzy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    What are peoples thoughts on parents who do this and leave their children behind? I know people personally who have gone through this (my first cousin who now lives with my mum, it was mums brother) and how their lives are affected.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast