+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I want to thank you all so much for your responses.

I am by no means self diagnosing, just recognizing signs/symptoms/traits. So far everything I have read about ADHD seems to describe things I have noticed in my boy, so I'm trying to learn what I can to help balance those traits - be they part of ADHD or just part of the unique individual that my child is.

He may have ADHD - obviously the things I have described about him above are just an incredibly tiny part of the picture, there are many other things I've noticed that are pointing me in that direction - or he may just be 'him' with all his strengths and challenges. To be honest at this point the persuit of a diganosis isn't my priority - it may become so later on. My priority for now is to follow my intuition which is telling me to read and learn. It's telling me that this may be relevant to my child, so I'm going to find out all I can in case it is.

So far I've already made some changes, reflecting on times that he is more focused or less. Things like making sure he has regular snacks that will balance his blood sugar, making plans for the next few days with DH (he's off work) for us to take rainforest walks so he's exercising and among nature more, replacing cartoons he watches with documentaries as the former tends to make him more hyperactive or distracted and the latter more focused. Lots of others but you get the idea. I've also had some very helpful PM's which have given me insight and ideas.

I'm taking him to the Dr next month for his four year old checkup and I may have a chat to the GP about it then.

Quote Originally Posted by Waitingfordaisy View Post
    I hope I am not out of place but I felt I should post.... I am an early childhood teacher and I would look at getting him assessed!! I say this as he enters a school environment he may need help so instead of teachers labelling him "problem behaviour child" they can assist him with the correct techniques for his own needs
    Am happy to help any way I can
    Goodluck!! They are very talented little creatures...
    Thank you for this Waitingfordaisy Very true, this is often something I've thought of. We will be homeschooling, which has always been our plan and if he does have a challenge like this will probably suit him very well as I can tailor it to his needs (just like I will for DS2 and future kids, obviously). But he has definitely struggled in a class environment for other activities so I will see how he responds to changes I can make and if I don't see big improvements I will pursue it further

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you read the book ' Fed Up' by Sue Dengate? He could be suffering from food intolerance/ reactions. I saw you mentioned he eats a lot of fruit...this can cause a lot of trouble in sensitive children. My son has also had me at my wits end with his behavior and I to believed him to be adhd but with a change of diet his behavior is improving. I have my son back.

The food intolerance world is a scary and daunting place but in her book and also her website www.fedup.com.au she tells stories of many parents who believed their child to be adhd but show remarkable improvement on a failsafe diet.

And if it is adhd he is more likely to also have intolerances and his diet would be one of the first things to get in check anyway. A low sugar, high fruit & veg diet can often be doing sensitive kids more harm then we realise!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi cluckysc,
    i know this is an old post, but just wondering how you went with your son. My son is very similar. He is super smart but cannot focus on anything to well...that is unless you give him some Lego! Funny you mention this. The only difference is that my son has social interaction problems. He won't play with kids his own age and prefers the company of adults. Mostly because he is too intelligent and doesn't really get other kids. I was reading into aspergers, as another post has suggested, but will look at ADHD. What did your doc recommend?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennybaby View Post
    Hi cluckysc,
    i know this is an old post, but just wondering how you went with your son. My son is very similar. He is super smart but cannot focus on anything to well...that is unless you give him some Lego! Funny you mention this. The only difference is that my son has social interaction problems. He won't play with kids his own age and prefers the company of adults. Mostly because he is too intelligent and doesn't really get other kids. I was reading into aspergers, as another post has suggested, but will look at ADHD. What did your doc recommend?
    Hi Jennybaby,

The changes I made with diet, watching blood sugar levels (ie insisting on regular snacks) and also putting him on Bach flower remedies have all helped enormously.

Like your son he prefers the company of adults and finds kids his age either boring or frustrating. He still adores his Lego so we're being really supportive of his interest and he's now (he's just turned four) assembling most sets at super speed, following the instruction booklets alone, correcting his grandparents use of angles and foundations (he's always right too!), his letter and number recognition is improving out of sight, he's counting by twos and he's currently learning to tell time and understand money and savings - all based on that interest. We may be going on holidays next year near where Legoland is so he's now also fascinated in geography because he wants to learn more about where things are in relation to that.

So I think for us allowing him to immerse his focus where it's meant to be (ie in his interests) rather than trying to divert it has helped.

Of course he still has nutty days, they're just much less.

How old is your son?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply. My son is 4, nearly 5. I don't normally do these forums but am just trying to find some answers. So interesting that your son has the same kinds of social tendencies as my son...that is actually the main thing that got me researching. I just noticed that he seems to be in a totally different place to other kids his age who are all keen to play together and start forming friendships. So after doing a bit of googling the autism spectrum kept coming up.
    Interesting to hear that your son has improved with diet, I will try the snacks. I just let me son play lego all the time, it is so much easier that arguing with him about trying to get out of the house and do something different. Bad parent I know, but I do try to get him out it just always seems to end in a huge scene.
    Anyway, Thanks for your help. I'll keep researching and see what happens. Don't really want to take him to the docs yet as he is young so will just cope for the moment and hope that he grows out of this phase.