Main concerns at the moment:
- not listening. I'll often have to ask the same question/make the same request many times just to get his attention. It's not even like he's being naughty, it's like he hasn't even noticed or has forgotten already.
- general focus. Often something simple like walking down a hallway will involve countless distractions in his little mind and he'll literally be in his own world.
- inappropriate actions/comments. He'll often break into random noises (cannons, space ships, pow pow etc - he's not exposed to violence at all by the way) or running on the spot, roll his eyes back to make a scary face, karate chop the air etc all just randomly and some days almost constantly.
- not reading social cues. This stems a lot from not listening. He might say hello to someone in the shops, they might say "hello, how are you?" back to him, and he might respond to mid air with random noises or what not because he hasn't computed what they said.
- actions/consequences. To some degree. He's able to take excellent care of his things, would never do something dangerous like touch the cleaning products, wont be intentionally naughty, tries to be kind etc but he might do something like pinch or hit without the intention to cause harm just because he does it without thinking. He might need to be reminded multiple times that it doesn't feel nice and isn't ok because he didn't really think about doing it to begin with.
The thing is he has days when he's great. He can be incredibly thoughtful and helpful and will focus on something like lego for hours.
He's very very smart, but often can't, or doesn't want to, focus to use that intelligence. For example if I try to do anything with letters or numbers with him just wont have a bar of it, says he doesn't understand and it's boring and walks away. But if you catch him off guard and write something like "red car" on a piece of paper he'll say "What are you writing about a red car for?" then realize he admitted he could read it, so act up again. He might claim to not recognize any of the letters, then randomly say "Look mummy I did something for you" and you'll find that he's torn the shapes of about 10 letters perfectly out of paper.
Similarly with drawing or painting he'll almost always just draw a squiggle or a squash of paint. Then very randomly will actually focus for a second and draw a rocket ship, person, house, dog, dinosaur etc perfectly.
He's such a mixture!