+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I think my son has ADHD :(

My intuition has been telling me something wasn't quite right for a while but I'd been ignoring it and telling myself it's just his age (he'll be four next month), he's just spirited etc... But I finally bit the bullet and did some reading and my beautiful boy fits almost every single positive and negative trait of ADHD.

On one hand I'm glad I know, because I can now be doing all I can to help him... On the other hand I feel like crying

Anyone who has a child with this - can you point me in the direction of things that helped you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Firstly, big hugs... Do not be hard on yourself... My friend is going through the same, her little boy will be 4 in October. She has just been given a referral from her paed. to have him tested...

Sorry, I don't have any experience or advice, but if you feel up to going through the motions and for your piece of mind, having him tested may be the first step in moving forward.

Again, big hugs, my heart is going out to you...

A.
    xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not so concerned about having him tested and a formal diagnosis because I don't want to label him with it or medicate him. I'm going to try to treat it behaviorally, nutritionally and make sure I'm parenting him the right way to help him.

If he fits pretty much every single trait I dare say he has it... Now to just try to help :/

Thank you for the hugs

Thanks
    Reviews
    I completely understand that, I think this is what I would do too if I ever found myself in this situation.

You are a lovely mummy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok before you get to upset how does he sleep? A child that does not sleep well can show signs of ADHD, also diet can make a child appear ADHD too in the US it is so over diagnosed because of sleep issues and diet. Does he get a lot of dyes, sugars or preservatives in his diet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We eat almost entirely organic, nothing artificial and he's only allowed processed sugar once a week. He is picky with food though (to the point of genuine food aversions) so getting vegetables into him can be a challenge. He eats plenty of organic fruit though.

His bedtime is 6:30 though he often isn't totally asleep until 7:30. He sleeps through until about 6am

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CluckySC View Post
    We eat almost entirely organic, nothing artificial and he's only allowed processed sugar once a week. He is picky with food though (to the point of genuine food aversions) so getting vegetables into him can be a challenge. He eats plenty of organic fruit though.

His bedtime is 6:30 though he often isn't totally asleep until 7:30. He sleeps through until about 6am
    Well that wont be the problem then, is he on cows milk at all, this can cause some interesting things too, so other then that what info are you looking for I can go through my links and try to get you some good info they are US sites but the info is great in them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He has allergies like I do so only has organic soy or rice milk.

Any info would be wonderful thank you so much

I already do a lot of what I've seen in the little bit I've read but want to be doing all I can for him because he's a wonderful kid

Thanks
    Reviews
    I understand totally, I will grab some info and links for you. Also if you are having trouble with behavior, like my son just didnt not grasp that there are consequences to his actions you can do the marble jar it worked great for us, Ill just get the info.

What are your main concerns?