+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd ring the bug man. I had spotted a couple around the outside - so called in our bug guy - and nearly died when we go home and saw how many of the little blighters were legs up on the ground. The buy guy said it was one of the worst red back seasons he's ever seen - warm weather and the rain are the perfect breading ground. Make sure if you do get someone that they do all the kids stuff in the backyard -around swings, sandpits etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I loathe spiders of any kind but I am always the one to find them *shudder*

It is worth spending the money on having a professional do the spray job. We have had it done each year and do not see any red backs, and not many other types of spider, around in between sprays

My Dad has been biten twice by redbacks and he said that it is very painful for a few days but otherwise he was okay and typical Dad didn't seek medical treatment until days later (but I would recommend that you go to the hospital immediately if bitten).

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bronny-jane View Post
    I found another one on the window, squished it too.
    We are short on cash since the move, I do have an outdoor spray we bought a while ago, might whip around the house with that first, then see if it's worth calling the professionals, only been 4 all around the same area so far
    If you havent done it already, spray outside where they are getting in first (windows etc) just in case you run out. The webs are small and messy so look for those, too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    There on the outside, but yeah I'm checking everything. I've started weeding the garden so they aren't too keen to nest up, I'll clean my windows weekly, so i should notice new webs. Getting this yard in order should help

Thanks
    Reviews
    What happens if you get bit by one? Do they make you really really sick?
    Depends on whether you get bitten by the male or the female.
    DH has been bitten by a male redback. A red ring appeared around the bite site and the site hurt a bit but that was it. Unless you are already suffering from a pre-existing condition, a female bite won't kill you but it'll hurt and may make you feel a bit sick and dizzy.

Pest control is so worth it!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Found another in an upturned drain cover, i almost grabbed it, just noticed it as I almost picked it up..
    I'm creeped out, kids must wear shoes outside now. But I'm sure they are just here due to neglected yard by previous tenants. So im cleaning it up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its the ones you dont find that are the issue - and they are the sneaky b*ggers of the the spider world - they hide in nasty dark places. Where you have found a four - there will be ten more of their mates hanging out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Raising Leprechauns View Post
    Its the ones you dont find that are the issue - and they are the sneaky b*ggers of the the spider world - they hide in nasty dark places. Where you have found a four - there will be ten more of their mates hanging out.
    Yeah I'm creeped out, I only have an indoor spray, so will buy an outdoor one tomorrow. Dh doesn't think it's a big enough problem to call pest control, and I'm out in the yard getting the garden done and hunting for webs, I'm fairly sure that there aren't too many around, but I'll spray and see what happens

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was bitten recently while pregnant. They can cause immense pain immediately and then nausea, vomiting, abdo pain. Very rarely fatal, takes hours to affect people and anti venom not always required.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was bitten when I pulled on my jeans that were in the line, it had crawled in.