+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Made in England View Post

What happens if you get bit by one? Do they make you really really sick?
    yeah they can, and can kill young kids and older people, although there's an anti venom. Your mention to seek medical attention if bitten by one

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bronny-jane For This Useful Post:

Made in England  (14-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Your meant too, not mention

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never had them at my old place, well a few in the shed door, but nothing near the house, I had heaps of black house spiders and daddy long legs there though... I'm in the hunter valley, this place was a bit neglected when we moved in, so I'm not surprised there was a few... But seeing them.... Argh

Made in England is offline thought it was about time I put something other than 'senior member'...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    gosh... nasty little critters then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bronny-jane View Post
    yeah they can, and can kill young kids and older people, although there's an anti venom. Your mention to seek medical attention if bitten by one
    I was bitten by one when I was 8. Vomitting, blue lips and shivering, passing out and rushed to hospital. Very scary!

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i'm in brisbane and have seen them around! especially when i was growing up. but we lived next to a creek i suppose. pest control. in the meantime see if you can get your hands on some chlorine (pool shop) and dilute it a bit, so essentially making a strong bleach, and spray it around.

i currently have mice (again) and a couple of types of cockroaches (again) and spiders as well and should really get a pest control through. problem is i have birds so doing a pest control is a real balancing act. means skipping an entire room out and having the birds locked in there for the day with a towel under the door cos the spray chemicals would kill them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just called pest control for a quote, $154 for the redbacks 1 year guarantee. They come back for free if you get them within the year

Thanks
    Reviews
    Worth it I reckon. I can deal with most things but I draw the line at snakes and red backs! I like the one year warranty, too.

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We used an outdoor spider spray from the supermarket on them outside, and an indoor spray where they were on windows indoors. It was awful (The are so timid and scared but not worth the risk when you have babies and a 40min drive to hospital) but it worked. We did it over a year ago and they've never been back. I sprayed all the outdoor toys and slide etc too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found another one on the window, squished it too.
    We are short on cash since the move, I do have an outdoor spray we bought a while ago, might whip around the house with that first, then see if it's worth calling the professionals, only been 4 all around the same area so far