+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Red back spiders

I hate them, so far I've found 3 without looking, all on the western side of the house. I'm sure the shed will be full of them too.
    How do you deal with them? Do you squish, spray or call in pest control?

The one I just found is sitting in a window of our bedroom on the outside of the house, another was under an air conditioner, and another was under a bit of wood laying against the brick wall near the air con... I'm kind of freaked out.
    Will tidying up all the yard and removing webs deter them?
    Help me... Horrible

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Heys, eugh i hate redbacks too and we have them everywhere, everytime we kill one not long after another one is in its place. The best thing to do is call pest control in.

We had one come out of the bath vent hole!!! Eeeeeeeek

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Lemon oil. Great deterrent.
    And if you see lizards or daddy long legs, leave them be: they eat redbacks.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Caviar For This Useful Post:

Azurial  (14-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have a heap of red backs atm too, we spray outside with coopex (from bunnings) including the fences and doorways and surface spray around the windows and doors. Make sure all gaps are sealed to stop them from coming in (just had our ceiling fixed yesterday as we had them coming i from there) and even door gaps. Getting rid of the webs wont get rid of the spiders best to spray them first.

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    KIIIIIILLLL THEEEEEMMM!!!!

I hate spiders! Hate hate HATE!!

You'll have to excuse the iPhone auto correct. It sax!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GluttonForPunishment For This Useful Post:

laurea  (14-02-2012),Turk EnJayDee  (14-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Omg I'd freak, I just sprayed it, waited for it to start to drop and squished it with the rake handle... How much is pest control going to cost? And how often do you need to get it redone?
    I know black house and daddy long legs kill redbacks, so I don't want to eliminate natural predators either... But damn, they are creepy... Thank god they don't move too quick

Made in England is offline thought it was about time I put something other than 'senior member'...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Eeeeek! I would get pest control in. Never had them in our house, but at the little park at the bottom of our street, there are always a few of them. DF took DD the other day armed with a bottle of Mortein and killed 6 of them before he'd let DD play.

What happens if you get bit by one? Do they make you really really sick?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm petrified of Spiders, so I don't get rid of them myself, I tend to rely on Daddy Long Legs to eat the redbacks, so do white tails (but they get the heave ho) and I always make sure DLL don't get killed around here to help get rid of the pesky red backs!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't want them inside... I thought they stayed outside... Now I'm really freaked out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would definitely be calling a pest control company!

Where do you ladies live? I'm in Brisbane and I've never seen one! We have heaps of geckos around here and I think they eat spiders.

Eek, I've got the heebie jeebies now!