+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How do morthers cope with morning sickness and work?

Hi, i would love some advice. Im 7 weeks and have horrible morning sickness im a care worker at a nursing home so my job is a physical one. How does everyone cope? This is my first pregnancy. Also 2 weeks ago i passed out and was hospitalised from having severe pain and bowel contractions which my doctor said was from irritable bowel syndrome(she ruled out eptopic) I am afraid of being hospitalised again from this. Should i cut my hours at work? im currently full time and my partner is happy with whatever i want to do but i still need to work for financial reasons as we are in the process of buying a house and living with his parents. Is it worth doing the full time hours?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For the IBS I'd suggest modifying your diet (as much as your ms will allow!), high fibre, psyllium husk stirred into OJ etc... Go to the loo as soon as you feel like it might be a possibility, don't put it off til later.

For the morning sickness - eat before you get out of bed (either DH getting you something like toast or leave crackers on your bedside table), ask your doc about prescribing maxalon or zofran (I wouldn't have made it thru weeks 4 to 25 at work without zofran, it was a lifesaver!!), never get hungry - eat as constantly as you can, if you start feeling hungry it's probably too late already.

Hope that helps, if there's anything else I can think of I'll pop back

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I work in a similar job and i found I couldnt cope especially with the smell aversions the body sweat and other odours made me vomit which is not good when looking after patients. I just took time off til I felt well enough to go back. When at work i always kept a packet of snakes or lollies in my pocket to nibble on and crackers , my IBS seemed better when preg but that might have been because i was hardly eating anything.
    Last edited by lulu 2; 14-02-2012 at 11:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It it horrible and so many people do not understand. I find the worst ones and mothers who never had morning sickness - I basicaly got told I was weak by some GRRR

I somehow struggled through with DS but NEVER strayed far from a bucket. On the odd occasion I did I could be found making a very hasty exit from the shop floor ignoring all customers I passed!! I found that by eating regularly it helped.

This time around I got prescribed zofran and only took it when I had to work. I found Maxolon didn't work for me and it made me feel lightheaded. I'm 20 week now and still feel sick some days but can now manage without anything.

Hope this somewhat helps and just think every day you get through is one less day of feeling sick you have to put up with.