+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    I understand. However if they were married it would be a different story, in which case I find it outdated and offensive and I would tell my parents that. What if they said they couldn't sleep together because they were mixed race (as an example). Would everyone still be saying their house their rules? They are building a house together so there is commitment.
    I would not have interactions with anyone who is racist, but would still say their house, their rules. They are not putting their rules, values, ideals onto anyone else outside of their home, only those who choose to visit their house.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

TimTamsandTea  (14-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What if they said they couldn't sleep together because they were mixed race (as an example). Would everyone still be saying their house their rules? They are building a house together so there is commitment.
    You know, I was just thinking of the same comparison this morning - so apt. I'm guessing most would be appalled by that, though expect that most would accept parents not allowing a same sex couple to sleep together in the home if it made the parents uncomfortable. All just reflections of where we are at, in terms of acceptance as a society, which quite frankly blows me away.

OP it's not a matter of disciplining her, they just need to ask her to leave. If they don't, then it's clearly not that big a problem to them.

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    once DD is an adult and as long as its not randoms from the pub and her bedroom is at the other end of the house, then maybe

I dont know how i feel about it im a bit bias i think.

My grand parents wouldnt let DH and I share a bed at their house before we were married. Not after years of dating, buying a couple of houses, having DD!! Not until we were officially married with that piece of paper as proof would they let us share a bed.

Yes their house and their rules, but personally i felt rediculos sleeping down the hall from my daughters father. so weve never stayed their since (even though we are married now, i still wish we just left and got a hotel room)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    I understand. However if they were married it would be a different story, in which case I find it outdated and offensive and I would tell my parents that. What if they said they couldn't sleep together because they were mixed race (as an example). Would everyone still be saying their house their rules? They are building a house together so there is commitment.

Whilst I would not agree with your example yes the parents would still have the right to say what can and cannot go on in their house.

The daughter can make a decision as to how she would react to such a rule but ultimately it is the parents house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the end of the day the parents can kick her out. They haven't, so really, why do you care so much OP?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (14-02-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sloppykissesmonsterhugs View Post
    Thanks everyone.
    To answer a few questions:
    *My sister does not pay board, neither does she have any domestic responsibilities.
    *B/F uses facilities he doesn't have at home (uses washing machine, dryer) and eats freely out of my parent's cupboard and fridge without replacing or paying for anything. My folks are very generous people and wouldn't dream of accepting anything anyway, but it's the principle that matters here, I think.
    *My parents have spoken to her (on the first occassion b/f slept over and several weeks later). She chose to ignore their requests. How do you discipline a person in their late 20's when she ignores what happens to be one of the few rules they have ever tried to impose on her. It's not a matter of not being bothered enough by it.
    *B/f will often take a day off work (either Monday or Friday) and mooch around my parent's house while mum and sis are at work and dad is sleeping (nightshifter)

To the few people who raised the fact that they found my parents disrespectful, I had never considered that. In fact, I find it a little bizarre. How does allowing sleepovers respect my sister's relationship, particularly when they already have an option of doing this at b/f's house? In fact, how is sleeping over necessary at all?
    You don't discipline a person in their late twenties You ask them to leave. She's bring treated like a 12 year old. Does she get grounded as well?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Californication  (14-02-2012),MissMuppet  (14-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    You don't discipline a person in their late twenties You ask them to leave. She's bring treated like a 12 year old. Does she get grounded as well?
    Wholeheartedly agree. Im not surprised she isn't going anywhere, it sounds like they treat her like a child.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (14-02-2012)

Allymumtobe is offline Winner 2012 - Most Optimistic Poster
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My father was always strict on the rule no boy can sleep over. I had my now husband over only when I had the house to myself and always asked dad because I was scared to be alone in the house at night. My father even once we were engaged would make my dh sleep on the couch!

But BOTH my younger and older sisters threw hissys till he gave in. Which made me SO mad as we never ever broke the rules out of respect!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My parents were pretty easy going, with my brother but where i was concerned it was a different story...
    I was 18 when i had my first serious relationship and kicked up a stink because my 16 year old brother had girls coming and going and staying over...Mum's view was that it is different for boys as they can't get into trouble... AT BF's house we slept in seperate rooms but his parents knew that he snuck into my room and never said anything about it. and we respected their decision to put us in seperate rooms...
    With DH and I he stayed from the beginning of our relationship mum never said anything cause i could always come back with the fact my brother and his 15 year old at that stage GF were living there and i was 21 DH was 18 DH and i moved out after 8 months into our own place and haven't lived at home since....

With our kids i think 16 depending on their maturity level and wether or not they are emotionally ready for s3xual relationships.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think your sister is being totally disrespectful,she knows your parents rules and is ignoring them BUT your parent are allowing them too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast