+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't do it!
    It sounds like you would have very little couple time, which could be hard on your relationship, especially if you start to feel lonely and resentful at the loss of your previous life. Take the money out of the equation and is it still the ideal scenario? Would you make such a life changing decision for no pay change? You say you will be setup for life in ten years, is your relationship strong enough to withstand such a big change, for the ten year mark to be worth it? plus if you have children will you be ok with DH not being home much???

2. The Following User Says Thank You to swizzlestick For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (14-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can he go for the 6 months trial period to see what it is really like before you give up your job ?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannahly For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (14-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    I wouldn't go. Unless you plan to never go back to work once you have children, I would hang onto the job you love as tightly as you can.

Trust me, I went back to a job I disliked after 1 year of maternity leave and it is 20 times harder when you are missing your child. Add to that the fact that once you are a parent (working part time or not) your opportunities to change jobs are severely limited, it is a much bigger risk starting somewhere new, not to mention stressful... and therefore you are essentially trapped.
    This is what I'm worried about ... I don't know many people who like their jobs, let alone love them. Is my current job a once-in-a-lifetime??

Quote Originally Posted by cheekychook View Post
    If possible take leave from your current job, gives you a foot back in if you want to return. Then pack up a go!!! You may find a better job, or you may not but you won't know till you give it a go!!!! As long as your husbands working hours will not affect your marriage...

You could join a club of some sort to make some friends. I moved states 10 years ago with out knowing anyone, I now have bucket loads of friends!!!

An exciting opportunity for you and DH! Good luck with making a decision.
    I am worried about the impact of his working late/more on our marriage ...

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I don't think you should have to give up a job you love just so your partner can earn more. Are there opportunities for him to work elsewhere and earn more? I certainly wouldn't be keen to pack up and move, giving up a job I love, so that he earns a lot more... mostly because there's far more to life than money.

BUT given that his current job means he's working weekends too, I think he should look elsewhere for work, but somewhere where you can still keep the job you love.
    I agree that there is more to life than money, but this is also DH's dream. I can't help but think that if the situations were reversed I would be pretty bummed if he didn't support me ...

It is so tricky! It would be easier if I knew he would go regardless of what I choose ... But he won't. He will do what makes me happiest. Which makes me feel like a massive cow head for even considering not going

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't go, if I loved my life and got to actually see my DH on weekends, we were living comfortably what more could I ask for. Why ruin something that seems perfect?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sjay For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (14-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=Shoopuf;6377480]This is what I'm worried about ... I don't know many people who like their jobs, let alone love them. Is my current job a once-in-a-lifetime??

[QUOTE=cheekychook;6377418]If possible take leave from your current job, gives you a foot back in if you want to return. Then pack up a go!!! You may find a better job, or you may not but you won't know till you give it a go!!!! As long as your husbands working hours will not affect your marriage...

You could join a club of some sort to make some friends. I moved states 10 years ago with out knowing anyone, I now have bucket loads of friends!!!

An exciting opportunity for you and DH! Good luck with making a decision.

I am worried about the impact of his working late/more on our marriage ...

I agree that there is more to life than money, but this is also DH's dream. I can't help but think that if the situations were reversed I would be pretty bummed if he didn't support me ...

It is so tricky! It would be easier if I knew he would go regardless of what I choose ... But he won't. He will do what makes me happiest. Which makes me feel like a massive cow head for even considering not going
    Oh didn't realise it was his dream job, I would move heaven and earth to let DP do something that he loves

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sjay For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (14-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My last post quoted weird! Sorry if it's hard to read!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You need to think about what will happen if you go and you hate it. you'll have lost your job, a job you love. It will be hard not to resent your DP because of it. I have been happy to sit back while DH chases his career dreams and it's been a hard slog. He's been working 60-80 hrs a week or more for the last 13 years and he is worn out. He is hoping to not have to do it for much longer, two years max (he hopes, he won't give up until he gets where he wants to) but he misses out on a lot of other things and he knows it. He worries about his health because of the amount of stress he puts on his body. To be honest there have been times I have struggled to be supportive and have begged him to leave and take a job...the only reason we keep going is because I know that DH would be miserable if he had 'just a job.' He has always said that he isn't happy to just be anybody, he wants to be somebody so asking him to take a job in his field is asking him to not be himself.
    I haven't had to give up anything though....I'm only just starting the journey to my career now and have gone about doing the things I want to. DH and I are in a rock solid relationship but we both dream of the day he doesn't have to work like this.

I don't envy your position at all. Good luck deciding.
    Last edited by Areca; 13-02-2012 at 20:45.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Areca For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (14-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I always think its better to regret something you've done rather than something you haven't done. Just my two cents

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Luna Lovegood  (13-02-2012),Shoopuf  (14-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would do it. I would feel terrible if my DH missed his dream job.

You mentioned your DH will be earning quite a bit more after 6 months, and that you're worried about your job...do you have a dream job? Could you use this time to study and work towards your dream (while getting knocked up of course!)?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (14-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think I'd go.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jenga For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (14-02-2012)