+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Wwyd?

So ... Hypothetically ...

You are in your mid twenties. You have a DH, but no children. You have a fantastic job that you love and are extremely passionate about - it is a massive part of your life, and your colleagues are like family to you.

You are living in a major capital city, where you have been living for 3 years. You and your DH both make reasonable money, and work fairly cushy hours.

Despite how awesome your job is, you actually have no formal qualifications. That's ok though, because your work is willing to trust your potential.

Your DH is offered the opportunity to move interstate for business. For the first 6 months, he will be earning the same amount as he is earning now, but after that 6 months he will be earning enough to set you up for life within 10 years.

The place you may be moving to has a much lower cost of living than the city you currently live in, and it is a nice area. Probably nicer than where you currently live.

You have no family or commitments tying you to either place.

The catch - you will have to sacrifice your job. You LOVE this job. It is so incredibly important to you. It is the first thing in your life you have ever felt you were MADE for. You will most likely never get another job like it, and will probably find yourself working twice as much for half the amount of pay you currently enjoy.

Your DH will also probably not see another weekend for as long as he keeps the new job, and will likely have to work late a lot, though he finds the work rewarding.

Neither of you will know a single soul in the new town.

You have to decide today, because if you decide to go, you have to be there in 2 weeks.

What do you do?
    Last edited by Shoopuf; 13-02-2012 at 20:32. Reason: clarifying

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'd go on a heartbeat.

Good luck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (13-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I will add though I'd only go if we had no kids! Otherwise I'd stay.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (13-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would go, good luck with your decision

Sent from my U8510 using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (13-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would do it! What an amazing opportunity , I would love S$&T like that to happen to me!!!!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaG23 For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (13-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't go. Unless you plan to never go back to work once you have children, I would hang onto the job you love as tightly as you can.

Trust me, I went back to a job I disliked after 1 year of maternity leave and it is 20 times harder when you are missing your child. Add to that the fact that once you are a parent (working part time or not) your opportunities to change jobs are severely limited, it is a much bigger risk starting somewhere new, not to mention stressful... and therefore you are essentially trapped.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (13-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If possible take leave from your current job, gives you a foot back in if you want to return. Then pack up a go!!! You may find a better job, or you may not but you won't know till you give it a go!!!! As long as your husbands working hours will not affect your marriage...

You could join a club of some sort to make some friends. I moved states 10 years ago with out knowing anyone, I now have bucket loads of friends!!!

An exciting opportunity for you and DH! Good luck with making a decision.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cheekychook For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (13-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I don't think you should have to give up a job you love just so your partner can earn more. Are there opportunities for him to work elsewhere and earn more? I certainly wouldn't be keen to pack up and move, giving up a job I love, so that he earns a lot more... mostly because there's far more to life than money.

BUT given that his current job means he's working weekends too, I think he should look elsewhere for work, but somewhere where you can still keep the job you love.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (13-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oops sorry - I worded that wrong. In his current job he works 9-5 Mon-Fri ... Same as me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't go. My Dh works a lot...long days, most weekends and it's fine...but it's fine because we have a lot of support and we love where we live. Being on your own a lot can get really lonely at times.
    I think money isn't everything and 10 years is a long time if you're not enjoying it. You do have something keeping you where you are....a job you love and are unlikely to find again.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Areca For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf  (14-02-2012)