+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Hills vs Rockingham/Mandurah area

Hello lovely perthies

We are currently living in Gosnells, and are thinking its about time that we move out of our shoebox villa into a nice home we can hopefully live in for the foreseeable future.

DS is 3 and currently attending the prekindy programme at a fantastic private school, but that is the only reason we have to stay up this way.

My in-laws are in Falcon, possibly a little too far south for us, but I have NO IDEA what the suburbs are like down there, so sell it to me, where is good, what are the good schools, what areas do we avoid. We'd love to be close to the beach.

ALSO, how do you find mozzies down there, DS always seems to get eaten alive and react badly when we are visiting the IL's, is it bad everywhere?

So if you live in the hills, please sell them to me! OR if you live in baldivis/rockingham/mandurah tell me why you love it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    we're in the middle of buying in mandurah, because im from bunbury and hes from rocko, so im not sure i could see you on anything, but i know what you mean about the mozzies! we're buying 6 acres, and all ive sussed out so far is that im going to need a lot of citronella candles lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Im living in Mandurah and I love it! I think at the moment for what you're after (a house close to the beach) you could get a great place really affordable! Probably the best areas for beach are seascapes, halls head, falcon. Mozzies can get quite bad but nearer the beach is okay. Stay away from areas close to estuary like erskine and dawesville as mozzies will be real bad there!

Hmm there's a beautiful little suburb close to the beach between port Bouvard and dawesville called florida beach, it can get a bit windy though and may be a bit far south for you.

The private schools have a pretty Long waiting list from what I can gather from other people (I don't have school aged kids he's still in utero). So that may be something to look into.

Rockingham is also really good especially For buying something close to the beaches. Also they have much better shopping facilities if that's something that interests you? Anyway hope I haven't rambled on for too long lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for that, yeah we went through all of those suburbs, but ended up putting in an offer on an acreage, its still only about 15 minutes from the beach, so thats not as close as i wanted, but not that bad either. the department for education informs me that i wont get my little girl in to kindy ANYWHERE in mandurah, so now im stressin about that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I looooove Baldivis, the only issue I have is that some of it is still being developed so there is sand everywhere!! Pretty close to the beach, close to shops, public transport, lovely parks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've lived in Shire of Kalamunda (94-99) and Shire of Rockingham (00-05) and of the two I liked the hills better! Mind you, I was a kid/teen then so not sure what it's like to live there as an adult. The trees and stuff are beautiful though :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We were looking more in the kelmscott roleystone hills area as I work in kalamunda, and I dont want to live that close...

We dont necessarily need to live walking distance to the beach.

Baldivis is nice

Argh! So hard. maybe we'll just stay in our little tiny villa and travel the world!
    **Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

Thanks
    Reviews
    my aunty livs in maida vale. up near the hills, nice area

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm in Bertram (next to baldivis) and its so family oriented. So many new families moving in and it's a reasonably new and safe area. Ive never had any problems and I have loads of mummy friends that live local. Also didn't pay too much for our house either

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm lucky - I had best of both worlds - I grew up in Roleystone - lived there for my whole childhood, but mum and dad had a holiday house in Shoalwater (between Rockingham and Safety Bay).

I currently live in the eastern hills -I find this pretty similar to Southern hills and it's great - we're only on half an acre but the kids love the bush walks and make their own fun with the bush out the back.

My parents moved from Roleystone to Shoalwater - so when I need my dose of the beach (often) I visit them.

I'd live in either (but wish we could afford a beach house LOL).