+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Almost 2 year old DD pulling her hair out?

Hi!

Not sure if anyone has experienced this but my almost 2 year old is pulling her hair out and she is almost completely bald :-(

It started pretty much as soon as DD2 was born and I just don't know what to do or how to help her.

I don't think it's jealousy because she adores her little sister.

Can anyone please help? xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My oldest daughter started to do this too when she was a toddler and she ended up with half a bald head. I was told by the doctor that she would grow out of it and she has to some degree altho when she gets stressed she still pulls a bit out. We shaved her head when she was a toddler so it was not long enough to pull out and to try to get her out of the habit as she does it without realising and now she is older we get the teachers to remind her when she is pulling her hair and we do the same at home.Not sure if there is a cure for it but would love to know if there is one.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lulu 2 For This Useful Post:

soon2bmumzy  (13-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD6 has had problems with this also. She is 5yo now and we have it mostly under control.

We noticed it was linked to finger-sucking. So we changed our focus to keeping her fingers out of her mouth, and as a result, her other hand was in her hair less. With her, fingers in the mouth seem to be a pre-requisite to fingers in the hair.

It was at about 2yo that I attempted seeking professional help, but I'm afraid that road didn't yield much joy at all. Note: I still believe you should try for professional help, but am just warning that help might not be available.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah yes my daughter also fingersucks when she is pulling her hair and thats what we work on aswell ,reminding her that she is doing it. We found it easier when she was a bit older around 4 to explain how we were going to remind her when she was doing it so she wouldnt get upset or feel she was getting in trouble.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lulu 2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm, DD doesnt suck her fingers but she refuses to give up her dummy.

I wonder if it's to do with the dummy too?

It seems a lot worse when she is tired or having a tanty.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did it as a toddler right up until my early teens. Mum took me to several Drs and finally I was referred to a psych.. My issue was due to nerves because of my home environment. I find I'll still pull on my hair when I get stressed, I twirl it around a finger and pull it out before I even realise what Im doing.
    Not saying that your DD has the same issue! Just offering another avenue of thought

Good luck, I hope you find answers

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RunningWithScissors For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I googled it because I knee it had a name starting with t, and it was driving me nuts that I couldn't remember it!

Anyway, hope this is useful.
    http://kidshealth.chw.edu.au/fact-sh...ichotillomania

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MissPoss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've struggled with this (somewhat privately) since I was 4. It's a very difficult anxiety/compulsion to break because you zone out and hardly realise you're doing it. It's kind of pacifying. I was also a thumb sucker nail biter and I have always had a higher base level of anxiety compared to most people (even though it's not obvious to most people). A lot of people grow out of it. I didn't, though I don't do it as often or as obviously as many. I would encourage diversionary behaviour: give DD substitutes (a blanket with an edge she can flick or something to replace the habit). Massage, kiddie yoga, minimising stimulating food or other methods to calm the anxiety may help. Never shame her or discipline her over it because it makes it worse and is very isoltating and shame-inducing as you get older (trust me).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MMelissa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Preschool teacher suggested a squeezeball as an alternative focus. She loves her squeezeball, but forgets about it so it doesn't really seem to work.

The other thing I started to consider, but didn't go ahead with, was to get her ears pierced so that she would have earings to play with instead of hair.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post: